[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

nothing but the classicism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Goethe_(Stieler_1828).jpg (17KB, 220x271px) Image search: [Google]
Goethe_(Stieler_1828).jpg
17KB, 220x271px
The term "classism" defines the height of a culture. Here in Germany Johann Wolfgang Goethe is often called the "Dichterkönig"and for good reason. Question for you anons that know their way around german literature, do you think any period or author was able to or will be reach the classic period in terms of depth, lyrical quality or range of topics handled in a good way? Or are we doomed to be only confronted to second class prose for the rest of our civilization?
>>
>>9575237
>The term "classism" defines the height of a culture.
It doesn't.
>>
>>9575237
>Question for you anons that know their way around german literature
Why would you need to be particularly knowledgeable about German lit to understand this question? Did other countries not produce classics?

>>9575245
Also, this
>>
>>9575237
He was lucky to be alive at his time period (no other mass media except news papers and books.No TV, no cinema, just theater). If G lived and pubishled today he'd be one among thousands and drowned out by the mass and and other media.
>>
>>9575245
Why not? Do you have an answer that is interesting other than "art is subjective and a style that pushes both form and content to their maximum isn't inherently better than _____" ?
>>
>>9575742
(Not that anon)
Art being subjective has nothing to do with simple classification and categorization. The fact that you're bringing subjectivity up out of nowhere and also implying that classicism "pushes both form and content to their maximum" shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. Read a book on the history of literature before you make an idiot out of yourself.
>>
>>9575340
>Did other countries not produce classics

That's not what it means at all
>>
Kafka surpassed him desu
>>
>>9577063
How? Kafka is the very overrated in my opinion. His style of writing is plain and lacks any aesthetic value (that's why non- germans dig him so much, it's is so easily translateable), his stories lack depth and are either completely undecipherable and pointless, for they lack anything rewarding for the reader or so extremely easy to understand an decipher (like the metamorphosis) that reading them is, once again, pontless. Kafka admirers in my opinion some of the most pretentious people on the planet
>>
>>9577053
True, german classcim is very distinct from the other forms, which is why I think you must your way around it if you want to discuss it.
>>
>>9576941
so what period of literature do you think actually surpasses the classic one in regards of artistical value and content?
>>
>>9575237
In France, classicism refer to the the 17th and early 18th century. I don't think it was the height of our culture, at least not in literature. While théâtre classique gave us some of our greatests (Racine, Corneille, Molière), it was a really stale movment. Voltaire was famous for his classic plays in his days, but nowdays nobody remember them. Except for the three authours I mentioned earlier, the most memorable moment of French classicism was when Victor Hugo destroyed it in the preface of Hernani. Also they thought that anything outside of théâtre and poésie was shit, so they produced almost no novel of quality, which is a shame.
>>
>>9577492
That's why I emphasized the german classcism, which in my opinion has really not been surpassed in many ways.It was followed by stale romaticism and poltical literature, which both lacked philosophical and aesthetic depth
>>
>>9576941
I mentioned subjectivity to >inb4 him out of typing a banal response that wouldn't convince me nor make me or anyone want to read it. We are talking about Weimar Classicism by the way, which is not a scholarly construct or an invented label but an event lived through in real history. You may show yourself the door.
>>
>>9575365
Sure, that's why you're not Goethe.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.