[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the American equivalent of the Lord of the Rings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: LOTR.jpg (325KB, 1024x1326px) Image search: [Google]
LOTR.jpg
325KB, 1024x1326px
What is the American equivalent of the Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>9574865
Henry Putter
>>
A song of ice and fire
>>
File: 1937464-moby_dick.jpg (307KB, 1600x1237px) Image search: [Google]
1937464-moby_dick.jpg
307KB, 1600x1237px
>>
>>9574869
Do you even think before you post?
>>
Anthologies of Conan tales, the Cthulhu Mythos, or The Dark Tower come to mind.

Still, Tolkien is Tolkien, there is no one like him.
>>
Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court certainly inspired the original time travel plot for the Lost Road and the first draft of the fall of Numenor.

Maybe the Wheel of Time comes the closest in terms of being a 'high fantasy archetype' establisher, but it's not really 'like Tolkien'. Nothing else is like Tolkien: many could ape his writing style, but none could ape his charm.
>>
Dune
>>
A Song of Ice and Fire.
The Dark Tower had potential.
>>
The Earthsea series
>>
>>9574865

"The Mayor of the Square."

Mayor drew up a shady but binding legal document giving him dictatorial powers. He lost it during a court battle a few years prior, and is trying to find it ever since. A small town boy finds it and seeks to have in annulled by bringing it to Washington. Boy and his plucky sidekicks trek across America, and are harassed on the way by the mayors goons. Square refers to a town square where proclamations are made.

You've probably never heard of it.
>>
>>9574865

Shannara
>>
>>9574865
lotr
>>
The Dark Tower was specifically designed to be an American fiction epic influenced directly by Tolkien's work.
>>
>>9575540
And yet it was nowhere near the quality. To imply that coked-out aging Stephan King has anywhere near the literary and linguistic prowess of Tolkien is laughable.
And least Earthsea and BotNS are good.
>>
The works of James Branch Cabell or Le Guin's Earthsea or Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.
>>
>>9574865
The Wheel of Time
>>
>>9575168
>>
>>9574877
>>9574865
because they're both swordshit?
>>
>>9574891
Long and hard.
>>
>>9575168
Came here to post this.
>>
>>9575821
>>9575168
Dune is trash tho
>>
File: Eragon.jpg (337KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Eragon.jpg
337KB, 600x900px
>>9574869
I came here expecting this as a first post. I was not dissapointed anon. I see you already got shit for it so I don't need to post any further. And pic related is the correct and sad answer.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.