[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

quotation marks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: tis a bear.png (1MB, 600x780px) Image search: [Google]
tis a bear.png
1MB, 600x780px
Can /lit/ clarify something for me: when do you use ' and " for dialogue?
Some of the books I've read mark dialogue with ', others with ". Is there a preference when it comes to the two?
I'm post-editing my novel and need to know if I need to edit all dialogues, or should I leave it to the potential editors.
>>
i don't know either, so i just don't use anything

t. *spits*
>>
>>9574529
Anon said: "I heard OP's mom say 'Gee whiz anon, you're sure great in bed'."
That's the preference. Notably (for /lit/), DFW does it the other way around.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks_in_English#Usage
>>
>>9574529
>wrote a novel
>doesn't know the standard ways of writing dialogue
Jesus christ anon.
>>
>>9574529
it's basically down to preference as far as I know

>>9574570 is the best way for most writers

em dashes are the true patrician choice
>>
>>9574583
>Em dashes are the true patrician choice
This is true. I've been using them for dialogue ever since I read Dubliners and Portrait. They're just so aesthetic and flow well. I have no idea why more people don't use them.
>>
>>9574578
I use " because that's the norm I was taught (and also because it looks better for me), however all the novels I've read recently use '. So you can see where my confusion stems from.
>>
>>9574529
Das a pretty picture mang
>>
>>9574529
>should I leave it to the potential editors
So you haven't sold it yet? Well, good luck, but normally you sell an exposé (the "idea" of the book) and the first pages of it and finish the book afterwards (spares you the time to write it if noone wants it).

Back to your question: it's only about your own preference at this point. If you already had a publisher you could take a look at its books and please your future editors by editing it the way that certain publisher uses it.
>>
>>9574671
I have yet to see em dashes used for dialogue.
>>
>>9574770
That's if you are an established author, unless you're baiting
Jesus fuck
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.