[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting into reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 13725042._SX540_.jpg (18KB, 540x382px) Image search: [Google]
13725042._SX540_.jpg
18KB, 540x382px
After playing what is now one of my favorite game series of all time Dead Space 1 & 2. I was doing some research into the story into dead space and to my delight one of the devs working on the game was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Not knowing who he was I quickly did some research about him and later that week bought myself a couple of his books as well as finishing and re-reading War of the Worlds. So my question is this what other books of those types would /lit/ recommend now that my joy of reading is revived
>>
How old are you?
>>
>vidya

leave and never come back
>>
>>9571654
is that question really relevant?
>>
Looks like you dropped some commas before posting. It okay though, here are some of mine.
, , , , ,
I don't know anything about your question.
>>
Persona 2 is the best Lovecraftian story, play that.
>>
You type like a newfag beaner. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>9571651
Read Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer/Grimscribe

Laird Barron also has some good stuff, but it's a little more "sex n death"
>>
we have this thread once a week i swear
game devs' willingness to namedrop lovecraft appears unending
>>
>>9571651
Edgar Allan Poe
MR James (albeit he's more subtler, maybe not exactly what you're craving, but you can get nice edition of complete collections of James and Poe's works easily)
Thomas Ligotti
Arthur Machen
It's a stretch but Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis
Elizabeth Gaskell's Gothic Tales
Junji Ito's Uzumaki, Tomie, Gyo, etc.

That should probably get the ball rolling for you, OP.
>>
>>9573436
This. I have nothing against the man. In fact I rather enjoyed "The Cats of Ulthar". It's one of the stories that got me into to fictional mythology. But Lovecraft loves to recycle the same story.

>Hmm, shit's getting weird.
>but I don't believe in magic or that nonsense
>oh shit, an indescribable horror
> I'm a crazy person now

He doesn't deserve the dick-sucking he gets off modern audiences.
>>
>I was doing some research into the story into dead space and to my delight one of the devs working on the game was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Not knowing who he was ...
why would you be delighted to hear about someone you've never heard of
>>
>>9571660
vidya is knowledge in sanskrit
>>
>>9573496
well I enjoyed the dead space story and to hear that it had some origin I wanted to track it down just to see what it was about
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.