[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harold Bloom on the Mormon Breakthrough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: hb.jpg (116KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
hb.jpg
116KB, 300x279px
https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2011/11/14/harold-bloom-on-the-mormon-breakthrough

>By way of introduction, Harold Bloom has previously written on Mormonism, to which he gives the crowning title “the American religion”.[1] Bloom is positively enamored with Joseph Smith, whom he cordially refers to as an “authentic religious genius”, and is amazed at the power of Joseph Smith’s revelations. Granted, it appears that Bloom’s admiration for Joseph Smith and his revelations is on a sort of quasi-literary level; I don’t think it would be too much of a stretch to say that Bloom would place Joseph’s revelations on the same level as great poetry or literature, but nothing more. Notwithstanding, Bloom is a first-rate intellectual who has given us some probing, albeit somewhat flawed, writings to explore.[2]

Have you taken the Mormonpill yet? :)
>>
I SLAUGH-TERED
THE CHIN-E-ESE
>>
File: url-20_thumb.jpg (113KB, 456x455px) Image search: [Google]
url-20_thumb.jpg
113KB, 456x455px
Who cares of that fat retard
>>
>>9570548

I was born in a mormon family and I can tell you there is nothing special about mormonism other than the historical and sociological phenomena of a cult turned full blown state government.
>>
>>9570642
How aware are mormons that they're members of a cult?
>>
>>9570655
What's the difference between a cult and a religion
>>
>>9570697
Edgy
>>
>>9570723

not an argument
>>
>>9570655
Contemporary mormonism isn't any more cultlike than Christianity.
>>
>>9570697
The biggest difference is probably that Mormonism got exposed as a hoax almost as soon as people could analyze Smith's claims like reading hieroglyphs and the like, whereas the biblical accounts were defensible for a long time
>>
File: 1385167349225.jpg (99KB, 900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1385167349225.jpg
99KB, 900x1344px
>>9570789
>whereas the biblical accounts were defensible for a long time
>were
>>
You know, Mormonism kind of IS the American religion. Them and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
>>
>>9570789
I don't think you understand, you can study something seriously even If Its objectively a hoax.
>>
>>9570821

no that would be Calvinism and Anglicanism, both of which has defined America's ethos since the founding, Calvinism defining more the conservative side of the nation, and Anglicanism its liberalism

technically Mormonism was formed somewhere near the star Kolob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology
>>
>>9570834
My response had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you can study a hoax seriously. Did even you read what was posted? Read the thread.

>>9570809
Sorry I didn't mean to tip like that
>>
>>9570642
The Utah war is kind of cool
>>
>>9570883
It is but I wish Mornons had been exterminated.
>>
>>9570870
I know I'm splitting hairs here with definitions, but I feel Puritanism's take on Calvinism had more influence that Calvinism itself.
>>
>>9570898

that's basically Anglicanism+Calvinism

but there were so few puritans dude, the majority of immigration to the states were calvinist
>>
>>9570730
you're right, it's not an argument. What you said can only be classified as edgy because you sound like you're underdeveloped or a teenager or both.

The glaring connection between cult and the church is that it's brainwashing. It gives people comfort. But religion does not equal the church, and, moreover, if you're going to compare any given cult to Catholicism, something with a doctrine and a history and some weight to it, then you're in denial.
>>
>>9570697
>>9570740
I like how defensive these non-sequiturs were to my original question
>>
>>9570697
More years LARPing gives you more legitimacy.
>>
>>9570697
Between a cult and a religious institution you mean? Literally only the amount of members and the time it's been around
>>
>>9570870
Yeah, but both of those were imported from Europe. The JWs and the Mormons are uniquely American, for good or ill.
>>
>>9570697
Tradition

In 200-600 years Mormonism, the Jehovah's Witnesses and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness will be considered fully fledged Religions.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.