[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tips for Reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 01-reading-books-sl.jpg (68KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
01-reading-books-sl.jpg
68KB, 380x285px
I know this might sound ridiculous, but do you guys have any tips/techniques for reading books?
I do enjoy reading (though I certainly don't read as much as I used to), and recently I've wanted to explore a bit of philosophy, but I've found that when I read most books after a few chapters my comprehension starts to get foggy. My mind wanders. My eyes start to droop and I have moments where I realize I've read a page and a half without internalizing any of the information and I have to start all over.
So, what tricks do you use to stay engaged and properly internalize the information presented?
>>
>>9568564
Your parents shouldve disciplined you as a child. it too late now
>>
We have this thread every fucking shitty day. I recommend that you kill yourself and never post here again once you're floating in afterlife.
>>
>>9568564
I experience the same.
I think it is mostly determined by your ability to concentrate, which derives from proper sleep, nutrition, and a clear mind unfogged by rumination or worry about the future.

So overall it can be improved by Having A Good Character and Living A Good Life.

Although I'm currently reading the book "Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha" in which concentration practices are described, I wonder whether they could help.
>>
>>9568569
Then don't respond dude. And I'm well aware that there probably isnt some magical Good Reader button to solve my problems. I'm just curious what helps. Is it a matter of pacing yourself? Taking better notes? What?
>>
>>9568568
>>9568569
Why don't you two go fuck yourself in your own thread instead of shitting up this one? Do you have such a negative view of yourself and the world that you need to bring your negativity for no good reason everywhere?
>>
>>9568564
take a break every twenty minutes or so for ten minutes just to think about what you've read. Let your minder wander about the material and come back when you feel refreshed but not too long of a break either
>>
>>9568569
>>9568568
Useless post as usual on /lit/.
>>
with philosophy or non fiction sit down at a table with a notebook and take note of anything you find to be particularly important

it'll help you stay more engaged with the text
>>
>>9568569
>complaining that we have the same thread every day on a website that deletes posts after a while

so this is what autism is like
>>
>>9568564
quit gaming and start exercising
>>
>>9568577
There is. Stop going to the internet. It is literally a machine that destroys your attention span by bringing unlimited entertainment. If you don't lower your attention span under 8 seconds, you will miss out alot on the internet
>>
>>9568586
I'll try that.
>>9568611
Also a good idea. I'm usually either laying down when I read or at least partially reclined. >>9568624
>>9568635
I hear this a lot, but surely there's a way to balance delayed gratification hobbies with something like the internet. I think it might just take a bit of conscious discipline ya know?
>>
>>9568580
>>9568592
>>9568615
one anon complains against a post, others immediately do the same. sheeps, I guess. you must be sheeps
>>
>>9568564
>brainlet mode: just continue reading until you are bored, flying over passages from time to time, important bits will be concluded from the future context
>comfy mode: make a small break after each other chapter and superficially reflect your emotions and thoughts during the chapter
>advanced mode: recap everything that happened during the chapter and think conciously how the author decided to convey every point
>i want to be an author mode: analyize the whole chapter in depth, taking notes to potentially adapt techniques or avoid chlichees for your own writing
>>
>>9568673
ah, les memes
>>
>>9568635
>Stop going to the internet.

And look where you're saying this....... ON THE INTERNET!
>>
>>9568671
>hey, look at my other useless post just as usual!

Here's your (You)
>>
>>9568564
someone post the pasta
>>
>>9568726
the pasta
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.