[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aide, is she actually a good author?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

Where do I start?
>>
No, it's bland, unoriginal stuff. Read Henry James or Jane Austen.
>>
>woman
>good author
lmao
>>
Greatest woman author, contender for greatest prose stylist of all time.

To The Lighthouse
The Waves
Orlando

in any order
>>
File: 61899-004-D3FAC616.jpg (33KB, 375x450px) Image search: [Google]
61899-004-D3FAC616.jpg
33KB, 375x450px
>>9566877
He said memes aside
>>
>>9566899
women themselves are memes
>>
>>9566883
>contender for greatest prose stylist of all time.
You must be psychologically disturbed. How can you compare her bland prose to that of Henry James or Cardinal Newman? She has mastered the elements of prose writing but I don't detect anything original or particularly skillful.
>>
>>9566869
I've only read To The Lighthouse, and I had a rough time with it. If you don't know where to start, then you can't go wrong reading her chronologically.
>>
>>9566906
then why are they so hard to understand
>>
>>9567001
theyre not its just too difficult to accept the truth for many men
>>
>>9566869
Mrs. Dalloway felt like it was mostly banal gossip. That shit what women talk among themselves. Good prose though.
>>
>>9566869
Orlando is a good jumping off point. Then Mrs Dalloway.
>>
>>9566874
>bland
>unoriginal
t. never read Woolf
>>
>>9568353
Yup, that's the only possibility for anyone who disagrees with you
>>
>>9566926
Wew lad, that's quite a pseudy opinion you've got there. Woolf is easily the greatest female prose stylist, and contender for one of the greatest overall. And of course Joyce is the greatest male prose stylist. Any other answer is simply wrong and ignorant.
>>
>>9566874
I hate the fact that I share a board with "people" like you
>>
>>9569454
>Joyce is the greatest male prose stylist. Any other answer is simply wrong and ignorant.
The eternal anglo strikes again
>>
>>9569389
>Woolf is bland, read Henry James instead!
Yes, you surely have the superior knowledge
>>
Almost every character on Mrs. Dalloway was obnoxious as fuck.
Peter Walsh was /ourguy/ tho.
>>
>>9566869
darn she's a qt
>>
>>9569572
*neighs*
>>
>>9569572
Maybe if she wasn't slightly prognathic
>>
>>9569578
Kek.

That anon isn't wrong, though. I'd definitely marry a Woolf.
>>
>>9569462
I'm sure you do. We point out that your posts have no substance.
>>9569557
James' weakest pieces are above Woolf's best.
>>
>>9569572
Nope, it's angled because woolf fans need to play pretend
>>
>>9569623
'I guess he could give me more instruction than I could give him. He's very smart'
'Yes' said Winterbourne; 'he seems very smart'
'Mother's going to get a teacher for him as soon as we get to Italy. Can you get good teachers in Italy?'
'Very good, I should think' said Winterbourne.

Gee, such amazing prose, it's almost as good as Philip K. Dick
>>
>>9569666
Nice cherrypicking desu
Especially considering it's dialogue
>>
>>9569902
>cherrypicking
>James' weakest pieces are above
yeah
And how can you consider someone a good prose stylist when they can't even write a convincing dialogue
>>
>>9569949
Nothing particularly bad about it. It could just be how the characters interact between themselves, especially considering it's supposed to be commonplace
>>
>>9569467
The eternal anglo is actually afraid of Jamba Juice because he was irish and actually managed to overcome their greatest meme, Shakepseare, in their own terms.
>>
>>9569949

>can't write a convincing dialogue

It just sounds like vacuous chit-chat, but that isn't unconvincing. What about it seems like something people wouldn't say to each other? I haven't read what you are quoting, but winterbourne sounds like they are either disinterested in the other person, being polite, or just kind of dumb.

The other speaker sounds like they don't think highly of spaghetti.
>>
>>9569993
Yeah, the English downplayed Ulysses for a long time. It was mainly continentals and Americans promoting it.
>>
>>9569993
>overcome shakespeare
O my sides
>>
>>9566877
This, take the redpill cucks
>>
>>9569996
It's pretty stacato and uninspired writing.
It doesn't really get better further on.

And it was about being better than the best Woolf has ever done.
>>
>>9570020
Not that difficult, Cervantes, Tolstoy and Dante did, I'm sure there's more out there.
>>
>>9570039
Lol, this delusion
Don quixote would be an afterthought in shakespeare
>>
File: 1489712497790.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1489712497790.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
Let's be honest, will any of you ever write anything better than whatever shit she's put out? Has anyone here actually read any of her shit?
>>
>>9570077
Yes, look at the posts itt
>>
>>9570077
>Has anyone here actually read any of her shit?
are you uneducated or something?
>>
>>9570077
i hope it's not a surprise to you that many on /lit/ aren't as illiterate as you are
>>
>>9569467
>praises Irish writer
>gets called eternal Anglo
These are the people who find Woolf bland
>>
>>9570669
I meant anglo as in anglophone, not as in anglosaxon.

I love Woolf btw. And I consider Joyce to be the master stylist of the English language. But to think that greatest stylist in English = the greatest stylist in any language is such an anglo(phone) thing to do.
>>
Why would you read someone who'd be disgusted with you for reading any lit, let alone her writings? To spite her? To make yourself mad?
>>
>>9566926
>Henry James
..............................................are you saying James's prose is less bland than Woolf's? whewboy, I can appreciate James's mastery but his prose his also incredibly formal, elaborate, and technical, whereas Woolf's is overtly poetic. It's like you see reality upside down, I don't even know what to say.
>>
>>9566869
Mrs. Dolloway is enjoyable to read.
>>
>>9569467
who is Faulker? read Absalom Absalom it it was so wonderful
>>
>>9570709
Yes, I am. At it's best it's incredibly stylized and intricate. Woolf's prose reads like generic formal British.
>>
>>9569454
>you're a pseud because im right
Then so is Joyce, who considered Newman the best prose writer in English.
>>
>>9570035
I said his least piece is better than Woolf's best, not his every word or letter or punctuation mark
>>
>>9566874
>bland
You are so full of shit.

You probably read solely for plot.
>>
File: MTE4MDAzNDEwNzI4NzQ4NTU4.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MTE4MDAzNDEwNzI4NzQ4NTU4.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>9569572
Kay.
>>
>>9572110
>ur wrong cuz ur wrong
Genius level shit
>>
>>9572369
>im rite cuz im rite
Yeah, you have shown some splendid arguments
>>
Can there possibly exist a world in which both Henry James and Virginia Woolf are geniuses?
>>
>>9566869
Would you repeat the question?
>>
>>9572369
Well I suppose in such a case of blandness in prose, we can't really argue, since aethetics is purely a matter of taste.
>>
She's amazing. Her characters are sometimes annoying because she was eviserating the post-Victorian bourgsies. She's at least as good as Joyce, maybe not as expiremental at the time, but at least his peer. She revolutionized the form of the novel. And outside of 99% white dude places like here there is no debate about her prominence in the canon alongside the greatest modernists, and stands among those who directly influenced post-modernism.
>>
I love Faulkner as well. He reaches Joyce's level of genius with TSATF, and comes close with Absalom, Absalom! and As I lay Dying, but he is overall not as great as Joyce. That doesn't stop me from loving both of them, though.
>>
>>9572442
Oops forgot to quote >>9570820
>>
File: 1465886804643.png (613KB, 1043x1105px) Image search: [Google]
1465886804643.png
613KB, 1043x1105px
>>9566869
Ugh... this thread.

I think she's a great modernist writer and I've really enjoyed a lot of her stuff, although about two years ago when I first tried her out for the first time (The Waves) I didn't even finish it. I really didn't have a pleasant experience. However, going back in time (Starting Dalloway > Lighthouse > Waves) was really worthwhile and I think she has good prose. My advice would be just read and if it meanders or gets bit eh just persevere and see if it gets better for you... they're not that long in terms of words anyway
>>
Absolutely, she's excellent.

You should read her works and form your own opinion though.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.