[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he an anarchist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: pic0504-pynchon002.jpg (50KB, 511x520px) Image search: [Google]
pic0504-pynchon002.jpg
50KB, 511x520px
Is he an anarchist?
>>
>>9566349
Sort of, at least according to AtD (which I haven't read).

I don't think I can pin him down. He's definitely anti-tech but somehow still knows everything about past and current and future technological advances.
>>
>>9566374
>He's definitely anti-tech but somehow still knows everything about past and current and future technological advances.

I don't know if he's anti-tech so much as he's anti-how-tech-is-usually-used. He has an engineering background, and probably is fairly interested in science and its applications, but the silicon valley/hyper consumerist mode of technological production is a different animal and worthy of its own critique.
>>
>>9566490
From a 2003 Guardian article:
>One of the weirdest rumours about Pynchon that circulated in the early 1990s, and which the new film does not discuss, was that he was the Unabomber. On the face of it, there are certain philosophical parallels between Pynchon and the real Unabomber, Theodore Kaczynski, who terrorised victims over two decades by sending explosive packages from his log-cabin hideout in rural Montana. Kaczynski was caught after his brother read the 30,000-word "Manifesto" Kaczynski submitted to US newspapers, and which was printed in full by the Washington Post in 1995. The Manifesto, a tract of romantic primitivism, calls for a "revolutionary" dismantling of modernity and a new life that is "closer to nature". Throughout, it expresses a paranoid-conspiratorial view of what Kaczynski refers to as "the industrial-technological system". This parallels Pynchon's interest in espionage, governmental control and powerful secret societies, such as the alternative postal system in The Crying of Lot 49.

>Kaczynski worries about the destructive power of science; Pynchon's own ambivalence on the subject is expressed in the symbolism of the Nazi V-2 rocket that saturates Gravity's Rainbow. Indeed, in 1984 Pynchon wrote an article for the New York Times Book Review entitled Is it OK to be a Luddite? Rather than a simple call to smash the machines, however, this is a historical analysis of various forms of Luddism and an overview of the challenges posed to modern society by technology.
>>
>>9566490
>I don't know if he's anti-tech so much as he's anti-how-tech-is-usually-used

read him again, he's very pessimistic that it can ever be used in "good" ways
>>
Taking AtD at face value, he's an anarcho-primitivist who wants to live in a cabin in the woods far away from anyone.

In reality, Thomas Pynchon lives in Manhattan, possibly the least anarcho-primitivistic place on the planet.
>>
Ty anon. Hafe tu reed dis gui nuw.
>>
>>9568108
He advocates a moderated luddism in his essay "Is it OK to be a Luddite."

Which is realistic, sensible and still more difficult for most to apply.

I 100% guarantee Pynchon and Kirkpatrick Sale were following the Unabomber closely and extremely disappointed with his manifesto. Sale wrote a pretty harsh critique of the manifesto and it's likely Pynchon was even living in Sale's basement at the time of writing this. They've always been great friends and if you want a non-fiction elucidation of Pynchon I'd say read Sale. I can't imagine they strongly disagree on anything.
>>
File: 2yjaNN9.jpg (47KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
2yjaNN9.jpg
47KB, 640x422px
The day Thomas Pynchon decided to shitpost dozens of times on lit to fuck with us
>>
>>9566349
Pynchon is a fashy goy who gets all his news from /pol/
>>
>>9569584
Pinecone is... a fascist?
>>
>>9568141
Still can't believe Pynchon actually had friends
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.