/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What have you written?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: Fountain_pen_writing_(literacy).jpg (13KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
Fountain_pen_writing_(literacy).jpg
13KB, 300x220px
Recently wrote a 169 page "book" (if I can even call it that) and got a following of like 5 people, what's your own writings /lit/?
>>
What was it about?
>>
File: drawing_with_paint_forms.png (20KB, 698x670px) Image search: [Google]
drawing_with_paint_forms.png
20KB, 698x670px
>>9565868
>169 page "book"
It's a novella then.
>>
>>9565875
wrote a sex scene first, people told me to develop the relationship of the two characters in it, went a bit overboard
>>
>>9565892
thanks, now i finally know what to call it.
>>
File: wordcount2.png (24KB, 409x273px) Image search: [Google]
wordcount2.png
24KB, 409x273px
I've written about 570 pages about my autistic childhood fantasy that I continued in my mind through the present day. I used to imagine these giant wars with twigs as flying battleships and trees as huge cities, that kind of thing. The story continued on through middle and high school and I imagined some of my vacations as epic journeys by the characters to unlock ancient secrets. A lot of it was cathartic, like when bad things happened in my life then sometimes one of the characters would die or they would lose a battle or something. So a few years ago I decided to try actually writing it out. I've only covered about 10% of the plot though so I am not sure I'll ever finish it. The worst part is that a lot of it is hard to remember so I have to make up stuff to fill in what I forgot and as a result it just doesn't feel as nostalgic, which is the only reason I am writing this. I don't plan to publish it, I plan to leave it all behind when I die along with about 400 shitty drawings of the characters and weapons and ships, kind of like Henry Darger did. The story gives me powerful feels and when I can't get back into it (which is a lot when adulthood rapes your imagination) it depresses me. The worst part is a lot of the feels it gave me and images I imagined in my head are hard to describe without walls of description which makes for shitty writing. It also doesn't help that I still imagine this story at the age of 23 so there is always new content for it. I think I need to start skipping through parts more and more.
>>
I wrote a novel. Well, it's 50k words, a year ago, needs minor editing

Got 10 somewhat decent finished poems

Not sure what to even do with them
>>
I write shitposts on 4chan
>>
>>9566964
You have to grow with short stories. They and novels come together.
>>
>>9566964
Write short stories with the idea they are part of a bigger picture
>>
I've got a couple short stories published in my uni's journal
not that that means anything
>>
Is your written voice different from your spoken voice? By how much? Is that bad? What does it mean?
>>
I keep writing worldbuilding pieces without actually being able to focus on one story.
>>
File: 1352422824591.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1352422824591.gif
1MB, 320x240px
aside from self-deprecating diary entries, I wrote a rhyming children's tale about a cat who likes to dance but also likes big hats and every time she dances the hat falls over her eyes

kill me
>>
Id love to. Been considering buying a shit laptop and tinkering around. Im sure ill be shit though
>>
>>9567202
Post it fagot
>>
journal entries
research memos

working my way up...
>>
>>9567202
That's adorable though.
>>
>>9565868
Ive written about 56K words of what I'm intending to be a 110K-120K word novel. It's a relatively straightforward science-fantasy story that focusses more on the protagonists loss of faith than anything else.

The problem is that I started writing it in collage and a lot of my world views and habits have changed since then, so I often read through sections and change elements of the story. That, in turn, leads me to revise more parts of the story to fit what I've altered. It's slow work and spending a day revising my story rather than actually progressing it always feels unrewarding so it can often slow down my overall progress too.

Besides that, I've written a bunch of short stories, one of which I've been tinkering around with and I intend to make into a novella. My thinking here is that completing a shorter project might give me the push I need to finish my longer story.
>>
>>9565894
>Oh fuck I just wrote a short book
>>
>>9566951
327 thousand words, that's impressive even if it is all shit.
>>
>>9566964
I treat my books as a collection of short stories, First is outlining the characters and the general plot, then I write the parts I want to in any order I feel like.
If I didn't do this I couldn't work on one book for long enough to finish.
>>
>>9566986
I'm proud of you
>>
>>9567923
OP here, Haha, yeah that's exactly how i felt
>>
>>9566968
This. I wrote some short stories first before I did anything else. Just to see how I would do.
>>
OP again, The novella I got has 29,857 words, just short of 30k but I think I might edit it some more
>>
>>9567926
It's mostly shit, I've gotten compliments on that passage that you can see part of in the screencap, even though the parts you can see in that screencap are actually pretty bad and reminded me I need to go back and edit it some more.
>>
I'm writing a Reddit-tier genre garbage story that pretends to be way deeper and smarter than it really is. Most of the characters are depressed/delusional and cope with their mental illnesses through escapism (anime, games, movies, etc.), drugs, and/or excessive amounts of sex.

The protag wants to rule the world to compensate for his past mistakes and give meaning to his existence, while the first antagonist is an SJW activist trying to turn her university into an authoritarian "safe space". Oh, and there's psychic powers for some contrived reason. Honestly, I hate it. It's incredibly reference heavy, my prose is shit, and, despite me trying to avoid it, kinda preachy/cringy. I don't even give a shit about social justice or feminism, it's just impossible to write in a modern college setting without addressing them.

I'm only continuing it because it got a lot of attention on reddit and people wanted more of it. I figured I might as well give it a shot. I don't really regret it since I've learned and improved my craft through this, but I'm disappointed with how it came out. I'm 65k words in and I'm only a few chapters away from finishing this "first" book, but I'm probably going to abandon it afterwards. I just don't see any value in it.
>>
I've written and had published numerous short stories, I have about 20k words of a novel done. Still feels very much like I've done nothing. At least I'm still enjoying it and am improving.
>>
>>9566951
It immensely pleases me to believe that this is true. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>9565892
No, it's a novel, novellas are shorter
>>
I'm trying to get better at writing so I'm just fucking around with an anthology series set in the near future.
It's set in a world where most have abandoned religion and there are not many holy men left. Henry Oxford is a travelling "minister for hire" who will perform rites, services and sacraments in exchange for money to fuel his drug addiction as it is the only way he is still able to speak to God.

It's bad
>>
>>9569326
That's a great description, Anon, would read.

I'm in a similar place, myself. Spent about 3 years writing a fat novella; finished it at around 20,000 words. No one will read it much less publish it, apparently it's a dead form. It's too bad, most shit I write is garbage but that work has my pride...

Fucking around with an episodic anthology right now just to keep the fingers working while I get my Ph.D. It's a far, far future deal. Privatized corporate entities terraform and colonize planets for given interests. An AI is sent to a failed colony to recover a bunch of 16th century art that was owned by a wealthy shareholder who lived there in the past. The central construction is a weird relationship between the AI and the woman who works for the company and feeds it information, while it searches the ruins of a failed planet for artwork left there by donor/collectors.

Every short story in the anthology would be the pair searching up another priceless work of art and sending it back to the company. Non linear, not really directly connected. Lots of watching the AI handle art with care not because it has a human appreciation for it, but because it has a given sense of reverence. Perhaps that changes. I'm just typing now, please kill me anon. I have a lesion on my back and a lympnode under my arm is swollen but I don't want to tell anyone about it and I don't have health insurance because even two degrees isn't enough anymore I can't seem to get out of bed and I am running out of food money anon please
>>
>>9569432
Well that escalated quickly. You can always eat the pages of your novella.

I like your anthology, but I also have a massive boner for futuristic cultures interacting with old or "lost" art, technology or whatever so I'm fairly biased.
>>
>>9566975
This guy knows what's up. Read Winesburg, Ohio to get an idea of what this is like.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.