[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You literally have to be Irish to understand this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: finnegans.jpg (134KB, 1000x1488px) Image search: [Google]
finnegans.jpg
134KB, 1000x1488px
You literally have to be Irish to understand this
>>
>>9563490

Derrida, Fuentes, Lacan, and Borges did.
>>
>>9563494
No, they did not.
>>
>>9563497
Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>9563490
Being drunk helps as well.
>>
It helps with culural references and certain turns of phrase. That's it.

Nobody outside of Ireland knows or cares what the Phoenix park murders were.

Also I do think Joyce captures something of the colonised mentality at the time, a beaten down and self hating culture.
>>
>>9563490
random chinks with a decent interest and aptitue for literature understand it better than the vast majority of western english/lit academics.
>>
who /irish/ here?
>>
>>9563490
*You have to know obscure 8th century Irish history to understand this
>>
Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Considering the whole thing is an experiment with the English language.
There are cultural references and the like, just as there are in almost any book you would read, but this book is in English not Irish.
>>
>>9563730

Mise
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-26_21-40-11.png (15KB, 561x77px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-26_21-40-11.png
15KB, 561x77px
Bad bait but the only requirement to understand FW is that you parse the etymology of all the words within each word.
>>
>>9563803
scraic
>>
>>9563832

Readin away lad you know yourself.

Being utterly blown away by "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin at the minute. Even in translation it's the best success at translating inpressionism to literature I've ever read.

Nae craic with yourself?
>>
File: ZaWarudo.jpg (24KB, 400x356px) Image search: [Google]
ZaWarudo.jpg
24KB, 400x356px
Work in Progress has appeared at least, now titled Finnegans Wake, and is, they tell us,the ripened and lucid fruit of sixteen energetic years of literary labor. I have examined it with some bewilderment, have unenthusiastically deciphered nine or ten calembours, and have read the terror-stricken praise […] the trenchant authors of those accolades claim they have discovered the rules of this complex verbal labyrinth, but they abstain from applying or formulating them; nor do they attempt the analysis of a single line or paragraph… I suspect that they share my essential bewilderment and my useless and partial glances at the text. I suspect that they secretly hope (as I publicly do) for an exegetical treatise from Stuart Gilbert, the official interpreter of James Joyce. It is unquestionable that Joyce is one of the best writers of our time. Verbally, he is perhaps the best. In Ulysses there are sentences, there are paragraphs, that are not inferior to Shakespeare or Sir Thomas Browne. In Finnegans Wake itself there are some memorable phrases. (This one, for example, which I will not attempt to translate: “Beside the rivering waters of, hither and thithering waters of, night.”) In this enormous book, however efficacy is an exception.
Finnegans Wake is a concatenation of puns committed in a dreamlike English that is difficult not to categorize as frustrated and incompetent. I don’t think that I am exaggerating. Ameise, in German, means “ant.” Joyce, in Work in Progress, combines it with the English amazing to coin the adjective ameising, meaning wonder inspired by an ant. Here is another example, perhaps less lugubrious. Joyce fuses the English words banister and star into a single word, banistar, that combines both images.
Jules Laforgue and Lewis Carroll have played this game with better luck.
>>
>>9563490
Due to my great-great-great grandfather coming over from Ireland to settle this great new land I am irish.

Is that enough?
>>
File: ulvnyk8xm.jpg (23KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
ulvnyk8xm.jpg
23KB, 570x487px
>>9564636
>That filename
>>
>>9563544

>at the time

it still exists. also considering Joyce left Ireland in the early 1900s he wouldn't understand post colonial ireland. in fact he was dead when ireland the common wealth proper.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.