[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The western Bakemonogatari

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: monogatari.jpg (98KB, 513x700px) Image search: [Google]
monogatari.jpg
98KB, 513x700px
I´m looking for something similar in feel, style or whatever to the bakemonogatari franchise. Some months ago an anon reccomended me Been down so long it looks like up to me. I like but I still want to search for anything more similar.

Also monogatari series thread.
>>
>>9562983
Anything by Murakami.
>>
>>9562985
I´ve read some of his novels already, maybe should I try 1Q84?
>>
I think Monogatari is too fundamentally Japanese to have a "western" equivalent

Have you read Zaregoto?
>>
File: 1424500448672.png (466KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1424500448672.png
466KB, 900x900px
WEEEEEEEEEBS
>>
>>9563029

Well, I just want to feel in a similar way as with monogatari, the western part is mostly curiosity and the wish for some kind of counterpart to exist.

Nope, is it good?
>>
>>9562996
Maybe. Have you read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle? It has a comfy feeling of ordinarily with a mixture of unexpected incoherence, a fantasy within the dialy lifestyle, like a miracle between the repetition of the days. And I think it conveys a similar sentiment of what you are looking for. Plus it has waifus (You'll reconize the Snail in her first appearance). Seriously, you can read it as an anime. It's an easy reading with at least one or two storys inside the main story. Don't get intimidate on its length, you will finish it in a wink.
Another one that comes to mind is The Savage Detectives, by Roberto Bolaño. I cannot connect it on what you're requesting but somehow I got a feeling of loneliness or melancholy masked in youth and humor.
>>
>>9562983

Honestly, and people are gonna rag on me for this, Infinite Jest. When I first watched Monogatari, I thought to myself, "this is what you would get if David Foster Wallace was kidnapped in the mid-nineties and forced to watch Tenchi Muyo in a bunker for five years straight."

Both works are dialogue-heavy and have large, twisting plotlines. Both have that taste for ironic sensibility and anticlimactic endings. Both have a bit of a perverted streak that contrasts its sincere, self-help ethic. Both have a disaffected high school senior as the main character. The similarities go on.

Gravity's Rainbow is also a good answer, but not nearly as much as Infinite Jest, IMO. There's a reason why these two books are part of the 4chan meme trilogy, they appeal to our kind
>>
>>9563170>>9563075

Op here, thanks for the answers but I´ve already read TW-UBC, IJ and GR. In fact, I ended IJ like two weeks ago and im searching for this kind of wive; as one of you said, like ironic sensibility.
>>
>>9563209

Vibe*
>>
>>9563209
Also the savage detectives
>>
What is the western Kagerou Daze?
>>
What is the anime equivalent of Moby-Dick
>>
>>9563212
The original sentence was much better.
>>
>>9563489
Gurren Lagann
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.