[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are YOU reading, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 19

File: Snapchat-765947250.jpg (171KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-765947250.jpg
171KB, 720x1280px
What are YOU reading, /lit/?
>>
>>9562527
what was the point of that emoji
>>
Weil's The Iliad, or the Poem of Force and King Lear.
>>
>>9562540
It serves no purpose
I just wanted to use one
>>
capital
>>
just finished up my last book
gonna start on either dubliners or sixty stories, haven't decided yet
>>
Lolita, I'm gay
>>
>>9562527
studying the American civil war and reading a biology textbook
>>
Brave New World because I'm an entry level faggot.
>>
oresteia
>>
>>9562540
to show people he doesn't have an iphone
>>
I'm finally getting around to reading Don Quixote. Good book so far, I laugh every couple pages
>>
About to start Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

How does it compare to the symphony?
>>
>>9562527
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.
>>
I'm going to read The Children of Hurin. Then I will probably read Jude the Obscure. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe a big biography of Ben Franklin, or Stoner, or Walden, or something else.
>>
journey to the west
>>
>>9562857
I just bought the Children of Hurin, but I want to re-read the LOTR series before I read it.
>>
Demons by Dostoevsky. Almost done.

Might read some more Tolstoy short stories next while I wait for my next haul to arrive and then resume with the Greeks.
>>
>>9562835
comfy
>>
>>9562527
Child of God. It's pretty damn funny
>>
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Tender Buttons
>>
Just finished De Niros game, placed a hold on Flowers for Algernon at the public library. Really looking forward to it.

My love for reading has been rejuvenated in the last 2 months.
>>
>>9562871
>tfw ywn be a handsome monkey king
>>
File: 4288.jpg (3MB, 2592x3456px) Image search: [Google]
4288.jpg
3MB, 2592x3456px
I'm about to finish Willhelm Meister's Apprenticeship, I want to read Elective Affinities next, but I might read something in between the two books because I've been reading a lot of Goethe recently and I don't want to get burned out on him. I'm thinking I'll either re-read Frankenstein which I haven't since I was in high school years ago, or read a collection of short stories, probably either Melville or Borges.
>>
Fundamentals of Astrodynamics
>>
Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec.
>>
Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
>>
The Ego And It's Own by Max Stirner
>>
about to start rings of saturn desu
>>
Lolita.

It seems pretty ok so far, and the prose really is quite nice. I'm having trouble identifying any sort of central theme, though.
>>
>>9562527
Infinite Jest
>>
Currently rereading The Aleph and Other Stories by Borges. Next: The Nimrod Flipout by Keret.
>>
the waves
>>
>>9562748
>symphony
Tone poem.
>>
Castles of steel by Robert K. Massie
>>
T H E
A E N E I D
>>
Im trying to read the Nibelungenlied right now, seems pretty fun

Anyone read Grettir's saga? Is it any good? What about Njal's saga?
>>
>>9565234
>Nibelungenlied
alright, I'm a little over a hundred pages in, and its basically an anime. I can see the fucking manga pages in my head while I'm reading this

Sasuga, Gunther-sama
>>
File: 1479091678498.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479091678498.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>9562527
>reading translations
>>
File: Warlock.jpg (18KB, 220x310px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock.jpg
18KB, 220x310px
hopefully /lit/ and pinecone aren't memeing on me
>>
Re-reading Gravity's Rainbow and, to be honest, I don't think I read the same book the first time. That, or I was a massive brainlet a few years ago (probably this desu).
>>
>>9565904
Just picked this up at Goodwill the other day, make a post about it when you finish, I'd like to know what others think.
>>
>>9562552
>It serves no purpose
So it's representation of you?
>>
>>9565234

Njall's Saga is pretty good, I'd recommend it

I'm reading The Snow Leopard by Matthiesen
>>
>>9565932
>The Snow Leopard by Matthiesen
How is it? I read some Muir stuff a while back, and have been looking for some more nature stuff
>>
Just started on LOTR after finishing The Hobbit.

The autismal level of detail that Tolkien puts into descriptions and background lore is impressive, but it makes his works a bit daunting to read.
>>
Silence by Endo. It's really pleasant to read.
>>
Notes From No Man's Land by Eula Biss. I like it.
>>
Gass's The Tunnel and holy shit it's beautiful
>>
>>9562527
The Odessy, Fagles
>>
File: librobola_o.jpg (12KB, 220x293px) Image search: [Google]
librobola_o.jpg
12KB, 220x293px
>>
>>9566285
How far are you into it?
>>
>>9562527
That's all you want to know? Aren't you supposed to ask for my age, location and surface area of my prostate?
>>
>>9566336
my NIGGA
>>
Borges: Ficciones - El Sur.
>>
>>9566352
>tfw 6 inches
>>
>>9565904
It's really good, I pinky promise.
>>
File: sun_wukong_by_aanubis96-da234oq.png (76KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sun_wukong_by_aanubis96-da234oq.png
76KB, 1920x1080px
>>9562980
nobody's that handsome!

i love that he's just so out of control at the beginning and raising hell everywhere. he's definitely making quarterstaves great again. the plot is going different places now but those chapters are gold

I also like the poetic way that some of the characters are introduced:

Truly, he was a man of features most comely and noble mien
With ears reaching his shoulders and eyes alert and bright.
A cap of the Three Mountains Phoenix flying crowned his head
And a pale yellow robe of goose-down he wore on his frame.
His boots of gold threads matched the hoses of coiling dragons.
Eight emblems like flower clusters adorned his belt of jade.
From his waist hung the pellet bow of new moon shape,
His hands held a lance with three points and two blades.
He once axed open the Peach Mountain to save his mother.
He struck with a single pellet two phoenixes of Zongluo.
He slew the Eight Monsters and his fame spread wide;
He made as chivalric allies the Plum Mountain's Seven Sages.
A lofty mind, he scorned being a relative of Heaven.
His proud nature led him to live near the River of Libations.
This is the Kind and Magnanimous Sage from the City of Chi;
Skilled in boundless transformations, his name's Erlang.

So much fun.
>>
>>9562872
no need to, there is no relation to LOTR that I am aware of, other than the same universe of course. Hurin story is great
>>
>>9566347
About 50 pages just started a few days ago.
>>
I'm currently reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time and since high school. Also reading some Hemingway short stories in between.
>>
>>9566380
I may actually pick that up. The story of Turin Turambar was my favorite part from The Silmarillion.
>>
>>9566243
Hobbit is one of the comfiest fantasy books every writter, right next to Wizard if Earthsea
>>
Confessions and The Quran
>>
Just finished "Do Andorids Dream Of Electronic Sheep?" while on vacation.
I plan to start the brothers Karamazov when I get home tomorow.
>>
I only read a chapter out of Requiem for a Dream and have had it for a month.
>>
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
James Joyce
>>
>>9562695
The catcher in the rye because i'm an entry level fag.
>>
I just finished "The Map and The Territory" by Michel "Meme" Houellebecq
I'm gonna start If on a Winter's Night a Traveler, which is supposed to be pretty good.
>>
Finished Phaedo by Plato yesterday. Think I might read Ion next.
>>
Stoner and Bratko's Prolog book.
>>
>>9562527

Dracula by Bram Stoker. For something that spawned a huge monster genre its boring as fuck so far. A slog to be honest. I've stopped twice now and read several other books and I have just broke 100 pages. I'm determined to finish it though.
>>
>>9567152

I just re-read Catcher in The Rye as an adult since I first read it back in 8th grade. It was so much better now and I laughed quite a bit. I also just read 1984 for the first time. The ending made me feel anxious and little sick to my stomach. I havn't had a book or even real life do that to me since I was really young.
>>
Foucault, "Discipline and punish"

it's interesting but hard desu

how many XVIIIth century municipal ordinances can a man read and process before going insane
it would not be excessive to argue that Foucault's latter, terminal interest in drugs and sex was just a long winding down from his 70's research
>>
File: 20170528_235741-1.jpg (2MB, 1836x2144px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_235741-1.jpg
2MB, 1836x2144px
>>9562527
Shit nigga, I'm reading Chekhov too.

It's my time reading it, and I'm actually really surprised by how funny his stories are. I laugh on nearly every page.
>>
>>9562871
Dude just read Dragonball lmao
>>
File: 1410804515456 - Copy-1.jpg (110KB, 451x638px) Image search: [Google]
1410804515456 - Copy-1.jpg
110KB, 451x638px
>>9566304
This has to be bait.
>>
>>9567083
>>9567083
Ah yes, I've been wondering who wrote that book, thanks
>>
>>9565971

Good, not so into the Zen and Buddhist stuff but it gives good context into the culture of Tibet at the same time so it's more than bearable

Nicely written too
>>
File: IMG_0643.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0643.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>9567232
>>
>>9567174
How readable is Plato?
>>
>>9568062
Dostoyevsky is the besty
>>
>>9568065
I finished The Trial and Death of Socrates (Euthyphro, the Apology, the Crito, and the Phaedo) and it all read very well. I have the Cooper Complete Works of Plato. Since this is my first real going in philosophy, Phaedo was the only one that had any noticeable difficulty. But afterwards I watched a couple of hours of lectures and it really cleared up my understanding. After each dialogue I try to read or watch what I can anyway. Also make sure to take notes during your reading.
>>
>>9568062
>not putting down a towel to keep it off your dirty ass floor
Children, all of you.
>>
>>9567244
>this has to be bait
>>
>>9569880
>>9566304
Okay, I was shitposting, but I found Gass' prose to be very annoying. Too much alteration, 1000 similes per page, and constant name dropping. He attempts a lot of insightful and aesthetic pasages, but genuinely good passages are pretty rare compared to what the book pretends to be.

A couple passages I thought were great (that I can remember of the top of my head, because it's been a while), "with my eyelids pulled over me" and "[my father] in his surrender suit" (that latter one struck me especially.)
>>
>>9570257
*alliteration, not alteration
>>
>>9562552
The only good reason to use an emoji is if you're trying to antagonize people.
>>
>>9566336
Shoulda gone with Fitzgerald, my man.
>>
>>9569870
>caring that much about the condition of your material book
Besides, I had mine in my pants, not on the floor.
>>
Trilogy of New York
>>
>>9562527
The Steppe is my fav from that book. Enjoy OP I envy Ur first experience.
>>
The origin of the species. Its pretty interesting to see how they thought things worked when they had no idea that genetics existed.
>>
The decline and fall of the Roman Empire
>>
I just finished the trial and Plato's 5 Dialouges. I'm not sure what to read next. I have the whole internet and a rather full book shelf full of books I haven't read yet. I even have an old kindle I could put stuff on.

Any recs?
>>
parminides / heraclito
fragmentos
>>
File: Tolkien.jpg (48KB, 610x695px) Image search: [Google]
Tolkien.jpg
48KB, 610x695px
Finally got around to reading it. I'm glad that it's turning out differently than the films. Keeps the reading experience more interesting.
>>
>>9562857
Man Jude the Obscure killed me. Just meandered towards nothing, which is sort of the point but still wasn't very fun to read.

Currently reading Absalom, Absalom! Really enjoying it so far
>>
I'm about halfway through Stoner and I started reading it this morning.. it's actually enjoyable, I thought you guys were just cucking me
>>
Just finished Stoner. It's one of my favourite books now. Glad I looked at the best of 2016 list.
>>
File: 62794.jpg (85KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
62794.jpg
85KB, 312x475px
>>9562527
About to finish. I think i'm reading a shit translation but otherwise its pretty great. I enjoyed it more than Sailor Who Fell From The Grace of the Sea. I really connect with the protagonist when he was a kid and i'm glad he's ultimately not remediable whatsoever.
>>
Paradise Lost. Pretty interesting and I've only finished the first book or chapter
>>
Mystery of Consciousness by Searle.

Any recs to follow this up with? Preferably something about explaining consciousness with science.
>>
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
>>
>>9572732
>>9572418

I'm avoiding it right now because everybody always says it is depressing.
>>
>>9562527
Gravitys Rainbooww

Picked it up before I started browsing /lit/,just heard it was an acclaimed book. It's good but it's taking me ages to get throoooughhhh
>>
File: grapes.jpg (29KB, 325x499px) Image search: [Google]
grapes.jpg
29KB, 325x499px
At the moment, this.
>>
>>9573118
It sort of is, but has a hopeful ending. Not exactly happy, but good in the stoic sense.
>>
>>9562695
>>9567152
Reading Animal Farm because I'm an entry level fag.
>>
>>9562527
Qou Vadis
>>
Finished Rimbaud, decided to go back further.
>>
>>9562527
Bump because this thread is about actually reading.
>>
Max Horkheimer and Theodor W. Adorno, Dialectic of Enlightenment

Martin Jay, The Dialectical Imagination

William H. Gass, Omensetter's Luck

Percey Bysshe Shelley's poetical works

Leafing through an Emerson volume before bed
>>
>>9562527
Finishing Brother's Karamazov and considering starting Infinite Jest, but will probably just read Under the Volcano
>>
>>9570266
>implying that I won't read multiple translations
>>
>>9572168
You're not reading that edition tho, are you?
>>
File: 20170530_211956.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_211956.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Just got these. How did I do?
>>
>>9562527
Invisbility Cloak by Ge Fei.

It's pretty good. Reads like a better version of Murakami.
>>
Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus
Just started and finished the letters
OH BOY nigga is about to tell his story
>>
>>9562527
IJ
>>
Starship Troopers is ok
>>
I just finished platos 5 dialouges and the trial. Just got through the first 60 pages of do androids dream of electric sheep because I wanted something a little easier to read. I have this bookshelf full of books to read and a kendle with the internet and I just feel overwhelmed by my selection. I have a horrible habit of reading the first chapter of a book and never picking it up again.
>>
>>9562871
i want to read this book so badly but it's not part of the greeks,
>>
deciding between a commy biography or the Aeneid.
>>
File: IMG_1290.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1290.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
what should i start next? currently finishing "reflections on violence"
>>
>>9576198
Very same one. Probably the best edition to purchase at this point. Unfortunately, the book wasn't designed that well and begins to lose its shape as soon as you start reading. This happens because the spine is very loose and the maps can be torn easily if you're not careful. Kind of a shame considering it cost more than a standard Easton Press book. Otherwise it's solid.
>>
A Feast for Crows
>>
>>9563664
about to end it. I was about to tear out more than one time.
>>
Crime and Punishment. I put it off for like 5 years. It's as good as I expected, but different than I expected.
>>
>>9570263
example?
>>
Quran
>>
>>9576422
It's too aesthetic tho. I read cheap copies while maintaining my perfect expensive editions because I'm a materialistic fuck.
>>
>>9562695
good on you
>>
>>9573847
reading East of Eden over here,cheers my first Steinbeck and Jesus Christ this guy likes rivers
>>
>>9576392
Aeneid then The Divine Comedy.
>>
File: IMG_20170531_192626.jpg (3MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_192626.jpg
3MB, 2976x3968px
I should be writing an aesthetics essay, but this came in the mail today.
>>
The selfish gene
>>
>>9563059
Just finished IJ a few weeks ago after 3 months... such an incredible book
>>
File: tumblr_mv6e2nc8lK1qly3wvo2_250.gif (1014KB, 245x260px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mv6e2nc8lK1qly3wvo2_250.gif
1014KB, 245x260px
>>9562619
Who gives a shit about your sexuality?
>>
I started reading them by the date of publication. It's the second one.
>>
>>9563053
What do you mean for 'themes', exactly?
I'd say that the narcissistic self obsession of the narrator and the consequential approach with life and sexuality could easily be one. As a part of this, you find also the ironic-intellectualizing side of his personality. The struggle of a ill person in front of his illness and his failed attempt to overcome temptation by sublimation, or something like that.
On the other hand, Nabokov himself said that you are not supposed to find "a moral" or even "a sens" in the story, so yeah, whatever I guess
>>
>>9565904
One of my favorites
>>
I'm reading /lit/. My childhood appetite for books seems to have been completely usurped by internet feeds. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
>>
>>9562527
"Alexander the Great" by Paul Cartledge because im a classics faggot
>>
>>9565228
noice
>>
East of Eden. Probably not the best choice because I'm pretty depressed right now and it only makes me feel worse.
>>
>>9570263
objectively wrong
send them non-ironically to girls who use a bunch when texting you
>>
>>9578769
you should feel ashamed for following victim to instant gratification
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.