[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Essential Jewcore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: 8380409.jpg (34KB, 312x475px) Image search: [Google]
8380409.jpg
34KB, 312x475px
Essential Jewcore?
>>
Primo Levi
>>
primo levi
chaim potok
isaac babel
philip roth
kafka
>>
>>9562343
The Old Testament
The Golem
>>
>>9562343
The Pentateuch
The Golem
>>
>>9562989
>>9562994
Start with the rabbis?
>>
>>9562343
American Pastoral by Roth
>>
>>9562343
This thread is good for my neshama, thank you.

I've had a copy of the lesson sitting on my shelf for 6 or 7 years now. Still need to read it.

BTW, I'd highly recommend Philip Roth's The Counterlife to everyone in this thread. I've read a lot of Roth, but this one might be my favorite. Lots of meta sections, and it discusses Israel in a really fun way, looking at the arguments surrounding its existence from both sides.
>>
Kavalier and Clay by Chabon was quite comfy, besides all the gay shit
>>
>>9564165
Yes goy, ofc.
>>
>>9562343
The Golem by Gustav Meyrink
>>
Jewish Study Bible
The Origins of Biblical Monotheism

The (Wiley-)Blackwell Companions to:
- The Hebrew Bible
- Judaism
- Ancient Israel

The Chosen Few - How Education Shaped Jewish History, 70-1492
The Invention of the Jewish People
You Gentiles
The Diary of a Young Girl
If This Is a Man/The Truce
I And Thou
The Star of Redemption
The Dignity of Difference
>>
>>9564498
Isn't Chabon for women?
>>
>>9565366
Not at all. Especially Yiddish Policeman's Union.
>>
>>9564518
Just a wonderful book.
The Barry Holtz edited Back to the Sources: Reading the Classic Jewish texts is invaluable.
Aleichem, Babel, Singer, Scholem (Walter Benjamin, Story of a Friendship, nyrb), and John fucking Hollander (everything) all come to mind..
>>
Nathanael West
>>
Which Roth book had the fake obituary that ended with "He never did anything for Israel"? I still giggle when I think about that one.
>>
>>9566378
sabbath's theatre, senpai

>“Mickey was a genuinely nice person,” Mr. Cowan commented. “Never gave anybody any trouble. A bit of a loner, but always with a kind word for everyone.”
>>
>>9566411
>tfw you go to your lovers grave to jerk off on it, but there is a line
>>
What's the best Roth? I have American Pastoral and I'm thinking of moving it up in the stack.

Did I make a mistake not being the complete Nathanael West? It might still be in the shop...
>>
>>9566483
All the Zuckerman books are top tier, along with Portnoy's Complaint and Sabbath's Theater.
>>
>>9562343
damn...
>>
>>9566499
So you wouldn't rank American Pastoral as his best?
>>
>>9566512
wait nvm I guess Am. Pastoral is Zuckerman...
>>
>>9566512
American Pastoral, The Human Stain, I Married A Communist, and The Counterlife are all technically Zuckerman books (from his POV but about a different character)

desu I think AP is a little overrated on 4chan because of its themes
>>
>>9566522
Care to elaborate? I remember Bloom praising it highly.
>>
> New York Times critic Michiko Kakutani found [Sabbath's Theatre] hard to finish and "distasteful and disingenuous".

say no more, added to cart
>>
>>9566504
Lmao women are so fucking stupid. They can't do anything right hahahaha
>>
>>9566539
Roth does a greater disservice to the carefully cultivated image of American Jews in that book than in any anti-semitic tract.
>>
>>9566660
nice quads but bichiko kakutani usually hates good things
>>
Kafka, Celan, Schulz, Levinas, Adorno, Benjamin, Jabes
>>
>>9566539
>Japanese critic finds a book about a dirty old man obsessed with underage girls' panties hard to finish
>>
>>9566846
Celan... Oh my yes. Especially if you into German etymology at all
>>
>>9564165
if you're in the mood for endless symposium-style debate between people who weren't alive in the same century, about essentially everything in the Bible, the Talmud is pretty awesome.

To see if it's for you, read The Oven of Akhnai
>>
>>9567679
B over J. Sayin'.
Also, there are little mishmashes-- most of them solidly less than mediocre (there's an Everyman, for instance).
>>
>>9566949
sounds like she reads for plot and characters

truly a pleb
>>
>>9562343
Have a bump
>>
Any love for Strauss? I haven't tackled him yet but I think he is one of the final bosses of political philosophy.
>>
>>9565419
that book was fucking terrible. i now have a large distrust for the NY times now because of it
>>
>>9566504
>nonsensicle doublespeak and semantic debates

Picked up
>>
>>9570243
What was so bad?
>>
>>9562343
Anne Frank
>>
>>9570243
What book, The Counterlife? It's universally acclaimed, don't blame the NY Times. Also, it was published in the mid-eighties, so I doubt you read the review when it came out. Still, it's widely considered one of his best works of all time.
>>
>>9570243
>>9573392
And now I feel like an idiot. You were looking at my other post about YPU. Yeah, that book was not very good. Fair enough.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.