[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Promise Fulfilled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1479846250501.jpg (171KB, 333x870px) Image search: [Google]
1479846250501.jpg
171KB, 333x870px
This is something that happened four years ago. I was spending the summer at Mishima in lzu, staying in a roorri. on the second floor of an acquaintance's house, writing a story called "Romanesque." One night, in the course of riding a bicycle through the streets of the town, drunk, I suffered an injury. The skin above my right ankle was split open. The wound wasn't deep, but because I'd been drinking, the bleeding was frightful, and I made a frantic dash to the doctor's. The town doctor was a corpulent man of thirty-two who resembled Saigo Takamori. He was very drunk. When he wobbled into the consultation room in a condition that clearly rivaled mine, it struck me as hilarious, and as he treated my wound I began to giggle. The doctor soon joined in, and before long we were both laughing uncontrollably.
We were good friends from that night on. The
doctor preferred philosophy to literature, and since I, too, felt more at ease with that subject, our discussions were always lively. The doctor's view of the world was one that might best be described as a primitive sort of dualism. He saw in all worldly matters manifestations of the struggle between Good and Evil, and this allowed him to explain everything in admirably clear and concise terms.
Even as I inwardly strove to maintain my
monotheistic belief in the deity we call Love, the
doctor's expositions of his theory were like breaths of cool, fresh air, briefly dispelling the gloom in my heart. One of his illustrations, for example-that he himself, who called to his wife to bring beer directly I visited them at night, was Good, whereas his wife, who would smilingly suggest that tonight, instead of drinking beer, we play bridge, was a true representative of Evil-struck me as flawless, and I had to concur. The doctor's wife, though small and plain, was fair of skin and had an air of elegant refinement. They had no children, but the wife's younger brother-a quiet, serious youth who attended a commercial school in Numazu-lived upstairs.
Five different newspapers were delivered to the
doctor's house, and in order to read these I would drop by for thirty minutes or an hour almost every day during my morning walk. I would come in through the back gate and circle around to the veranda outside the drawing room, where I'd sip the cold barley tea the wife brought me and read, holding the newspaper down firmly with my free hand as it flapped noisily in the breeze. Not more than ten or twelve feet from the veranda, an ample little stream flowed lazily through the edge of a green meadow, and along the narrow lane that bordered the stream, a boy who delivered milk would pass on his bicycle and invariably call out "Good morning!" to me, the stranger from out of town.
>>
>>9561670
At about the same hour, a young woman would sometimes come to the doctor's house for medicine. There was always something refreshingly clean and healthy about her, in her light summer dress and geta clogs, and I would often hear her and the doctor talking and laughing together in the consultation room. Occasionally, however, the doctor would accompany her to the door as she left and call out after her in a scolding tone of voice, "It's only a question of persevering a little bit longer, young lady!"
The doctor's wife explained it all to me one day. The woman was married to a primary school teacher who'd developed a lung problem some three years before and whose condition had just recently begun to show marked improvement. The doctor had spared no effort in making it clear to the young wife, however, that certain things were still strictly forbidden, reminding her that now was a crucial time in her husband's convalescence. She faithfully obeyed his commands, but there were, nonetheless, times when one look at her would be enough to move anyone to pity. It was then that the doctor would steel his heart and scold her, saying it was only a question of a little more perseverance, the implicit meaning of which was obvious to them both.
One day near the end of August, I witnessed something beautiful. I was sitting on the veranda
that morning, reading the newspaper, when the doctor's wife, who sat nearby with her feet tucked up beside her, whispered, "Ah! She looks happy, doesn't she?"
I glanced up and saw a radiant figure in a light summer dress walking briskly along the narrow lane before us, her clogs scarcely seeming to touch the earth, her white parasol spinning round and round.
"The ban was lifted this morning," the doctor's wife whispered again.
Three years, I thought, and a wave of emotion swept through me. As time goes by, the image of that young woman at that moment is something I've come to think of as ever more beautiful. And that, for all I know, may be just as the doctor's wife meant it to be.
>>
>>9561670
Only the picture caught my attention.
Sorry anon. Best of luck to you.
>>
I liked it. Would read more.
>>
Liked it. Write more and keep writing.
>>
I liked it
>>
The praise this is getting just baffles me. Really reveals how low the power level is around here.
>>
>>9561670
Don't ever make me read something like this again.
>>
>>9561670
As someone who detests light narrative prose, this was, although rather primitive at some points, not a bad read. Keep it up, you're on the right track.
>>
>>9565316
Not OP, how is it bad exactly?
>>
>>95661>>9566122
Read it, it's not bad, much better than some of the drivel that makes its way into critique threads.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.