[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was considering buying the meme-trilogy. Is it at all worth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1486806788302.png (503KB, 1013x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1486806788302.png
503KB, 1013x1072px
I was considering buying the meme-trilogy. Is it at all worth it? Did any of you wicked dogs read it?
>>
>>9560075
Do you mean Sophocles plays?
If not, then start with the greeks
>>
File: 1495733403167.png (94KB, 796x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1495733403167.png
94KB, 796x1082px
it's not wroth it my fellow helper. i bought the memeology and they just collect dust now
>>
>>9560075
No greater cuckoldry than buying books of dead authors
>>
>>9560075
I'm reading Infinite Jest, and it's pretty good. Get it. Also, get ulysses just for the hell of it. It's probably a good book. I dont know anything about gravity's rainbow.
>>
>>9560075
Ulysses is the greatest slice of life book of all time, and incredibly funny, specially Circe

Haven't gotten around to read Infinite Footnotes yet, so i can't tell you anything on that.

Gravity's Rainbow is legitimately amazing and even if you end up disliking it the whole thing is worth it just for how insane the ride is.
>>
>>9560477
>Infinite Footnotes
kek!!!
>>
nothing by DFW is worth reading except maybe his suicide note for laughs
>>
Assuming you're new to this I would recommend getting infinite jest and reading that first. As for the other two, I recommend reading some other books by those authors first.
You should have some kind of grounding in literature before attempting the other two as well.
Read Dubliners and Portrait before Ulysses, Joyce has a style that you probably won't be used to. If you go head-first into Ulysses you will probably just give up.
With Pynchon I recommend the same, I'd say read inherent vice, and maybe watch the movie, then try TCoL49 and V. before GR.

Don't bother buying all three at once unless you are a supreme memer.
>>
>>9562206
Top quality advice.
Thnk you
>>
>>9560075
Tangential question.
The only Pynchon novels I've read are Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge. I found them easy to understand. I know that they're "Pychon-lite". How much more difficult is Gravity's Rainbow?
I know I'm giving limited information but do you think I'd have any trouble?
>>
Gravity's Rainbow is my favorite book. Infinite Jest is overlong but good. I had to drop Ulysses in the middle of Proteus because of how much was going over my head. Don't expect to understand Ulysses if you're an average dude like me, but you can go ahead and buy it. I'll revisit it someday because it was certainly unique, but the short unintelligible stream-of-consciousness sentences were frustrating.
>>
>>9563483
Just adding: I didn't dive into Ulysses without any background - I've read Hamlet and Joyce's first two, and I have The New Bloomsday Book.
>>
>>9560075
Can't speak to the other two, but Gravity's Rainbow was beautiful. Didn't totally understand it on the first read, but the second read (which I did alongside some secondary literature) was a lot easier and just as good. Went in blind, without having read anything else by or about Pynchon.

>>9562368
You should probably learn some simple calculus & physics unless you're already a STEMlord. Not memeing, there's a lot of extended (read: several-page) metaphors that speak to the heart of the themes in the book. There's also an integration joke which I laughed out loud at. None of this will come across unless you learn some entry-level calculus & physics.

Intro to calc here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf

The physics stuff is all pretty straightforward, just check wikipedia when terminology starts getting thrown around.

There's also a lot of sections about aerospace engineering, because the plot revolves around rockets. You don't really need a background to understand it, because the context around these passages more or less explains them, but if you get lost wikipedia will be good.

If nothing else, learn what a parabola is.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.