[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to start with Dostoevsky but not reading Bible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: powerslave.jpg (151KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
powerslave.jpg
151KB, 640x640px
I'm not gonna read the Bible right now. Is there something major that I would miss in the work of Dostoevsky? Also, where the fuck do I start?
>>
>>9558916
Start with The Gambler.
>>
start with the greeks
>>
>>9558916
Not sure anon, but I read Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment without even looking at a bible and actually regret it, especially for BT. Both had plenty of annotations that pointed you in the right direction whenever Dostoy referenced the bible, but I'm certain a lot of it went over my head.
>>
>>9558949
spbp

Seriously though.
>>
>>9558936
No start with Notes from the Underground
>>
>>9558950
This. They're both understandable and have a lot of endnotes, but all they basically do is tell you its a quote for some gospel, which doesn't further your understanding at all. There are a lot of Bible references like this.
>>
>>9558916
man vve had like Three threads about this topic
is this a meme now?
>>
File: 1490667902888.jpg (205KB, 708x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1490667902888.jpg
205KB, 708x1000px
>>9558963
No I think it's just no one has given a decisive answer, even to
>where the fuck do I start?
>>9558949
>>9558953
It's really easy to just say "the greeks", and although it is true, the material is really daunting. There's got to be a few charts no? I saw one a while back but didn't save it. Homer->Herodotus->Sophocles->Plato->Aristotle? That's a lot of reading anon
>>
>>9558962
So I should put off reading Dost for now? I'm just an amateur reader, who has just finished the /lit/ starter kit. I really don't know where to go. I'd rather read something from the last century or so, so no Greeks, thank you.
>>
>>9559010
Nah. Read him. The Russians wrote the greatest literature ever.
>>
>>9559010
Read Notes from the Underground, it's only about 100 pgs and is a starting point for Dostoevsky, the first 20pgs are kind of a philosophical monologue and the other 80 are the actual story, which I honestly like more than both BK and Crime and Punishment. It is fairly depressing but chances are if you're on 4chan you'll relate to it.
>>
Are there any authors like Dostoyevsky? He seems absolutely god tier. Gonna read Tolstoy and Gogol soon but they don't seem to have the same magic as Fyodor.
>>
>>9559039
>Are there any authors like Dostoyevsky?
I don't think so, that's why he's a great
>>
>>9559039
>Implying Dostoevsky is better than Tolstoy.

Boy...
>>
>>9559044
Seriously? What the hell. Looks like I'm reading his books once a year lmao so I don't get spoiled.

>>9559045
I haven't read much of Tolstoy, I just don't feel a touch of magic yet so I can't argue.
>>
>>9558957
>>9559036
Alright thanks anons, I'll check out Notes.
>>
>>9559010
Mate, just read Dostoevsky if you want to, you will enjoy him regardless. He is not incomprehensible or something without a deep knowledge of the bible.
I got into literature through reading Dostoevsky when I was in my last year of high school.

The 'start with the greeks' meme is not wrong per se, but it is misguided to claim that a novel from the 19th century will make no sense if you have not read the entirety of the canon preceding.
>>
>>9558980
Why does this painting fill me with such strong feelings of dread? Jesus christ.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.