[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On The Creation of Niggers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24KB, 285x352px) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24KB, 285x352px
When, long ago, the gods created Earth

In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.

The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;

Yet were they too remote from humankind.

To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,

Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.

A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,

Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

- H.P. Lovecraft, 1912
Source: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Creation_of_Niggers
>>
are you 14?
>>
i'd read lovecraft was racist but this is just comically racist
>>
>>9554691

Yeah, honestly I'm not bothered nor entertained by this type of stuff usually, but it was just so shocking I felt like I had to share
>>
>>9554704
something about arguing such a moronic idea in prose that replaces vowels with apostrophes just ends up being hilarious
>>
>>9554712

What gets me is how it's several lines that breaks down to "Blacks are violent and only half human", which is just so simple for what he's usually known for trying to convey, it reads more like a diss than anything else

Also the subtle fact that blacks aren't violent because they are animals, they are animals but also violent primarily because they are black.
>>
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>9554712
I don't think he actually thinks this is how black people were created, but it defiantly sums up his views.
>>
>>9554786
It is certainly veyr defiant poetry anon
IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>9554786

Of course he doesn't think that's how black people were created, dumbass

It means he thinks they are half-evolved
>>
>>9554685
retard alert
>>
I'm black and holy shit that's too hilarious for me to even be offended
Also makes me feel better liking his work to know he regretted his rampant racism later in life
>""what a complacent, self-assured, egocentric jackass I was in those days! [...] I can the better understand the inert blindness and defiant ignorance of the reactionaries from having been one of them. I know how smugly ignorant I was. [...] It's hard to have done all one's growing up since 33—but that's a damn sight better than not growing up at all."
>>
>>9554853
Is your skull shape congoid or caucasoid?
>>
>>9554853

>p...p...please buy my books minorities, I-I've chagned!

This is what fuck heads say when they realize they have a real chance of becoming big shots, but that means people will hunt down everything about their pasts.
>>
>>9554860
Looking up the letter, it was sent February of '37 and he died in March of '37 so shit, that's one hell of a time to decide "shit better cash in on my work now"

Maybe he still was a giant racist, still got good work though
>>
>>9554873

Like an old catholic going to confession 4 times a week after they turn 70.
>>
>>9554879
i mean he mentioned growing up since 33 and he died at 46 so it's likely just him reflecting on his life
>>
>>9554860
>>9554873
Pretty sure it had more to do with him getting a liberal girlfriend after being a shut-in neet for 30 years than any kind of selling out.
>>
>>9554810
>Of course he doesn't think that's how black people were created

>>9554712
>something about arguing such a moronic idea
Why would anyone think that he didn't actually mean it if they thought this poem was arguing it happened?
>>
Fucking racist. I bet the fish people of innesmouth were actually really nice, lovecraft just couldn't see through his prejudice so he portrayed then as evil.
>>
I'd read a cosmology like this.
>>
>>9554949
I bet they actually knew a lot of ancient secrets about fish magic which white man in his patriarchal rationalism forgot about. They lived happier too without white man intruders, their society was probably matriarchal but white man didn't understand or was too scared of strong fish women taking away his privilege.
>>
You don't really need to see op's text to know he was racist. Hints are visible in all of his work. But can anyone tell me why do his personal opinions matter? He created amazing art that has nothing to do with his personality and beliefs.
>>
>>9555316

Because liberal SJWs want to purge everything good and decent in the world.
>>
>>9555316
>>9555322
He's not any more racist than his century. It's only a topic because traces of it can be found in his art and particularly because it's horror, so progressive folks get icky all over when they realize what this talk about moral decay and fish tails is inspired by.
>>
>>9555332

It's not an issue of the quality of his original works, it's an issue because he pioneered an entire new genre that has hidden roots and themes of white superiority

Kids today legit idealize his monsters and edgy teens adapt his themes into his work and one of those themes is " it's the nature of the truly powerful to enslave and formulate eugenics."
>>
>>9555535
>it's the nature of the truly powerful to enslave and formulate eugenics.

And this isn't occurring today?
>>
>>9555557

Yea but it's bad man
>>
>>9555570
Do you really think that kids reading his stories today are unknowingly internalizing a pro-eugenics message? I know when I first read him as a teenager I noticed some of these things, but his more overt racism always seemed quaint enough to be funny.
>>
>>9555585

Not those who get into it super shallowy, like " I watch Southpark and collect pop culture plushies " but those who are willing to scan Wikipedia pages without investing themselves in the original works or critiques? Yes, I think they are being affected, they are internalizing and idealizing an image of power that is based on race as its source and slavery as its proof.
>>
>>9555619
So we should multilate freedom of speech and censor his work in order to protect the young?
>>
>>9555671

No, we should tell people he was racist and stop treating Cthulhu like a cultural idol
>>
File: 1484171605584.jpg (39KB, 356x332px) Image search: [Google]
1484171605584.jpg
39KB, 356x332px
I see nothing wrong here.
>>
>>9555535
>one of those themes is " it's the nature of the truly powerful to enslave and formulate eugenics."

You got any proofs or examples of this because that doesn't sound lovecraftian at all.
>>
File: apu.png (13KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
apu.png
13KB, 657x527px
readign lovecrafts made me raycis
>>
>>9554786
>defiantly

How come everyone that gave up on school in 9th grade makes this same spelling error? It's so simple.
>>
>>9554685
This meme, with the CoC RPG, has killed Lovecraft's work. You cant talk about him without the "lol Cthulhu THE MADNESS :3" or some SJW claiming he was a nazi (Both of this things have happened to me irl)
>>
>>9555770

There's nothing wrong with Call of Cthulhu
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.