[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underappreciated Classics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0386.jpg (77KB, 283x422px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0386.jpg
77KB, 283x422px
Looking for influental oldschool lit that isn't much discussed.

Examples include;

>The Golden Ass, Apuleius
>Orphic Argonautica
>Marriage of Philology and Mercury, Martianus Capella
>Geneology of the Pagan Gods, Boccaccio
>Courtier, Castiglione
>>
>>9553981
Read some Dio Chrysostomos, baby!
>>
>>9553981
How oldschool is oldschool? I'm going to push it and say
>Biography of the Life of Manuel, James Cabell
>>
>>9553981
Book of the Courtier's wonderful. Burton's Anatomy. Walton's Lives. Aubrey's Brief Lives. The Worthies of London. Cardano's Autobiography (a nyrb). Pater's Marius. Satyricon (great), Procopius' Secret History. Lichtenberg's Wastebooks (this may disappoint [you] but I'm a fan- also a nyrb), Heine's prose..
The first 10 that come to mind-
>>
>>9553981
So glad to see Apuleius mentioned here. We read him in my Latin class and it was one of the funniest things I've read.
>>
File: 2222.png (340KB, 592x356px) Image search: [Google]
2222.png
340KB, 592x356px
>>9553981
>mfw I realize that most of the classical works that were written weren't preserved

Imagine all the masterpieces we will never be able to read
>>
>>9553997
The Stranger.
>>
>>9554061
Great conclusion, too.
>>
>>9554058
Gellius' Attic Nights.
>>
>Cur Deus Homo by St. Anselm
medieval logicboo proves central christian doctrines a priori
>>
>>9554066
Imagine all the classics that came along to replace them, beta cuck nu male bitch faggot.
>>
>>9553981
Lucans civil war and Petronius's Satyricon! Particularly if you can read latin, it really displays the violence and debauchery in a whole new level.
>>
I don't see Aeschylus talked about enough here
>>
>>9554367
Satyricon in Latin is some fucked up shit nigga it's like watching a fast-paced show of degeneracy and violence and laughter only Roman and fundamentally alien to us
>>
>>9554399
>fundamentally alien to us
You mean things like having your asshole stuffed with an enchanted leather dildo as a cure for divinely caused impotence? You think that's alien? For some reason, I find it strangely relatable.
>>
>>9554061
Funny it is, also fresh, picaresque, ironic, a bit mystical in a playful way and even lightly moralistic--up to the final chapter that is, when the author seems to have undergone some sort of remarkably effective brainwash. As a result, he entirely and without a hint of irony or self-awareness goes into full "MUST--WORSHIP--ISIS" mode and adopts a creepy cultish tone that must have served as inspiration for whatever induction manuals Scientists or Jehovah's Witnesses use. What the hell was up with that?
>>
>>9555401
Apuleius was a Middle Platonist, desu. The Timaeus of Plato should clarify some of the allusions and metaphors in the Golden Ass
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.