[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anybody else wanna talk about mieville's stuff?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: China-Mieville.jpg (33KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
China-Mieville.jpg
33KB, 460x276px
anybody else wanna talk about mieville's stuff?
>>
he has xboxhueg arms
>>
>>9553579
Yeah sure. Perdido street station was one of the most worst shittiest books I've ever read. Great world building for gay fantasy steam punk faggottry but the story was dog shit. I wanted to blow my brains out it was so boring and I cared so little about everyone.
>>
File: pinochet-gramsci.jpg (128KB, 599x714px) Image search: [Google]
pinochet-gramsci.jpg
128KB, 599x714px
Makes sense for a communist to be a fantasy writer, since communism is by itself a political fantasy.
>>
One word:

>hack
>>
>>9553579
I read Railsea when my cousin left it lying around and it's so far above the rest of YA it's unbelievable. You've got jokes that only make sense if you've read Moby Dick, typographical quirks that tie into the overall theme, bits that anticipate and subvert the reader's expectation for that kind of book, all sorts. The man makes Rowling/Pullman/Collins/etc. look like total frauds.
>>
>>9553579
just bought his history of Russian revolution I hope it is awesome.
>>
>>9553792
I saw a blogger say he'd "carved himself out a key position, perhaps even prime position, in any russian revolution reading list drawn up today"
>>
>>9553594

you think you're critiquing here, but all you're doing is revealing the inherently revolutionary character of all fantasizing
>>
>>9553579
proof that /fitlit/ is an antiquated and retarded concept. The greatest writers in history were all feminine fagboys.
>>
>>9553594
>>9553883

Ernst Bloch, Principle of hope.
>>
>>9553584
That he does
>>
File: china_mieville's_arms_are_hueg.jpg (374KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
china_mieville's_arms_are_hueg.jpg
374KB, 533x800px
>>9553584
>>9554824
obviously shopped; just look at the clock

>this funposting is almost three years old
WAKE ME UP
>>
>>9553792
https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-110-the-rocktober-revolution-feat-china-mieville-52217
>>
>>9553579
*listens to chapo once*
>>
Ah. I love this guy.
He should have a cult so I can join it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (62KB, 135x800px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
62KB, 135x800px
>>9555591
This is what he actually looks like IRL. As you can see the clock is round here.
>>
>>9556003
I was gonna say, interesting to see a Mieville thread so soon after that episode aired. In terms of their author interviews, this one was fairly weak. Their interview with Matthew Karp was much better. I highly reccomend This Vast Southern Empire, one of the best history books I've read.
>>
The only thing I've read from him was his run on Dial H. It was so good I felt he was being wasted on comics. Good thing he writes actual literatrue as well.
>>
>>9555995
When does it start? I don't want to hear some old creep mumble.
>>
>>9553579
Why does he look like he murdered a guy in prison?
>>
Currently reading Perdido at the moment and enjoying it a lot. Love the Gormenghast like feel but it's so refreshing not to have a big fantasy or weird fiction novel not modeled on Tolkien universes, he gets points for that. I'm surprised the book isn't more popular considering it's pushing boundaries a lot with the main character's inter species relationship and MUH RICK AND MORTY tier science.

Would you a Khepri?
>Tfw no Lin qt
It hurts.
>>
>>9556581

What I meant to add the book isn't more popular with the LOL SUCH A NERD crowd considering I can see them really taking to something like this but it's odd they haven't latched onto it yet.
>>
>>9556588

Good. Geek culture ruins good fiction.
>>
>>9553591
I thought it was alright. Too many irrelevant diversions. Made me want to fuck bug people
>>
>>9553594
you do realize Pinochet unironically loved Gramsci, right?

he wasn't reading that shit for laughs
>>
>>9556567
He probably got into the odd street fight back in his drum 'n' bass days desu
>>
>>9556588
LOLNERDs don't actually read
and when they do it's mainstream YA
>>
>>9553883
more like the inherently fantastical character of all revolutionarism
>>
>>9556059
Lool not round enough
>>
File: cuttlefish.jpg (68KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
cuttlefish.jpg
68KB, 500x375px
>ywn be this happy about squid
>>
I like early weird fiction like M.R. James, Lovecraft, Lord Dunsany, Blackwood, the usual stuff. But I feel like these New Weird writers who claim influence from the old masters often only mimic them superficially. They don't capture the cosmic awe of Lovecraft, just the unfathomable tentacles, stuffy prose and eldritch darkness

Part of the problem I think is that they are self-consciously and deliberately "weird." They make being strange and spooky a part of their identity, whereas writers like Lovecraft didn't tell themselves "I'm a psychologically demented dangerous freak man look out haha." They just were demented outcasts and if anything tried to ignore or even change it

I like Ligotti because he doesn't posture. His writing, for all its faults, feels very sincere
>>
>>9556588
Ah Lin.
I desperately want a Lin costume for Halloween.
Honestly, my main complaint about Mieville's books is that I don't really *like* any of his characters as people.
Except Uther Doul. I would give my soul to be with Uther Doul.
>>
>>9558474
This was me, but I am not OP... name from another thread.
>>
>>9553918
Ernst Bloch was so hopeful about communism that he left for West Germany after the building of the Berlin Wall and never returned to the DDR he helped build.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.