[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Jordan Peterson leading us into a new enlightenment era?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Once people realise effects of the disease that is post-modernism, will a new intellectual movement emerge pioneered by this man? Where will it take us? What new revolutions in philosophy will take place?
>>
>>9552071

Has Peterson ever read anything other than Jung? There are no more revolutions, capitalism has won even on this front. Postmodernism will exist for as long as it is able to propagate economic value, and whatever comes after will not come by actual revolution, it is going to be smooth and it is not going to destroy any of the establishment. The Enlightenment has already failed OP, sorry. You either join in with the accelerationists or choose to remain a thing of the past like Peterson.

By the way, someone so liberal and non-conservative like him being considered traditional goes a long way in showing how far ahead postmodernism is going.
>>
>>9552098
This. The only philosopher that is right about is Land.
>>
>>9552098
>By the way, someone so liberal and non-conservative like him being considered traditional goes a long way in showing how far ahead postmodernism is going.

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>9552112
about anything*
>>
No.
>>
>>9552112
Go to bed Nick.
>>
>>9552112
this desu femelemen

gotta go faster
>>
>>9552138
>implying he's even capable of sleep anymore
>>
>>9552112
this, let the tranny latinx cyborgs come
>>
>>9552098
I don't agree with any of this, except maybe your last footnote. But I also completely disagree with OP's assertion that Peterson is leading the charge in some way. DFW (and people before him even) presaged the rise of a relatively traditional culture movement beyond the crest of postmodernism - and rather than capitalist forces or inspired revolution I'd say its just a natural tendency of humans, intergenerationally, to reject any ideas that cave far enough towards nihilism. If not an innate function of humans, then an emergent self-maintaining function of society.
>>
>>9552151
>I'd say its just a natural tendency of humans, intergenerationally, to reject any ideas that cave far enough towards nihilism
hahaha oh wow
>>
>>9552124

>I have been studying authoritarianism on the right and the left for 35 years. I wrote a book, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, on the topic, which explores how ideologies hijack language and belief. As a result of my studies, I have come to believe that Marxism is a murderous ideology. I believe its practitioners in modern universities should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to promote such vicious, untenable and anti-human ideas, and for indoctrinating their students with these beliefs. I am therefore not going to mouth Marxist words. That would make me a puppet of the radical left, and that is not going to happen. Period.

From one interview posted on his Wiki entry. You can see that, although he is anti-Marxist, Peterson does not defend traditional/conservative values at all. Quite on the contrary, he's pretty much a child of the optimistic 70's who values humanist virtues and proposes us to find joy in hard working and achievement through group effort. Think about how much fucked up in postmodern discourse you have to be to disregard any of this as being "not progressive" for your tastes. He is also a hard Jungian who thinks in terms of individuation rather than generalization, whereas the people against him are going for a dellusional mix of being special snowflakes inside a blizzard.

It's not that Peterson is wrong. His points are quite basic, actually, in the sense that we would probably be better off by doing some of what he claims. He is, however, fighting a losing battle against an enemy that doesn't even consider him a threat.
>>
>>9552156
Go take a look at any period of time, or artistic movement, that took nihilism to a logical extreme.
People railed against Duchamp
People railed against DaDaism
People who have read the argument rail against Solipsism
People rail against Modern Art, which isn't even particularly nihilistic
People rail against science-denying and/or anti-traditional societal movements
People railed against atheism
People (or society, as a product of people and vice versa) do not like ideals that undermine or attack the values that compose their persona. They never have.
Any cultural movement that pushes nihilistic tendencies beyond a certain extreme without finding a logical or aesthetic foothold gets rubberbanded back towards traditional thinking.

Peterson et al are guilty of conflating postmodernism with poststructuralism, which is a Square-Rectangle problem, and if you delineate the two it becomes clear that postmodernism outside of some forms of expressive art has not really found that necessary foothold. No Revolution is needed to dislodge it, it's just going to keep getting bigger until it reaches that critical threshold at which point traditionalists will collapse in on it.
>>
>>9552201
It's also worth noting that this societal trend away from nihilism is pretty important, as historically nihilism that has infected a society at its core is incredibly damaging.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.