[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

dummy's guide to writing like an individual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1491980149823.gif (4MB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
1491980149823.gif
4MB, 600x398px
>write in a stilted unnatural way
>approach to writing itself is fucked because of grade school
>overly obsessed with writing "accurately"
>feelsbadman.jpg
>don't want to be professional writer
>still want to write well for myself (and not to come off like a robotic mong)
>want to get that "oomph" to my writing and make it something that feels genuine and not copy-paste

What should I do, /lit/?
>>
I don't understand. Just write in a different authorial voice. It should sound different in your head. It's sort of like doing an accent, only ... it's about how it feels rather than just the voice.
>>
>>9550583
My personal advice is to write for yourself first. Write to make your thoughts permanent, not to convey them to others. That comes later.
Also alcohol.
>>
File: pepe-behind-the-meme-6-7ddaa8.jpg (93KB, 798x726px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-behind-the-meme-6-7ddaa8.jpg
93KB, 798x726px
>>9550604
>thoughts
This is gonna sound a little bad...I, uh, don't have all that many verbal thoughts, they tend to be abstract or intuitive. Most of my deep thinking happens through writing...

Fuck, that sounds even worse written down.
>>
>>9550643
Maybe you just aren't a writer
>>
>>9550643
I'm fascinated by people like that, i always think in a monologue
>>
>>9550795
What would you like to know about it? I'd love to think more in the monologue sort of way.
>>9550767
>aren't a writer
So writing's a pursuit that plebians like me are barred from touching? Even if I only just want to improve? Fuck, that's pretentious.
>>
>>9550643
Hey, that's not that unusual. You might lean to expressing yourself in other ways. Writing often seems like the "easiest" way, because you learn writing in school and you speak words already, but it might not be suitable at all for your way of thinking. Some people are very visual, they must practise visual arts like painting to express themselves, others can do so with dance, music, architecture, math.

Also reading helps in finding words to describe the abstract and intuitive. You need to channel it somehow.
>>
>>9552285
>So writing's a pursuit that plebians like me are barred from touching? Even if I only just want to improve? Fuck, that's pretentious.
Chill out. He's not saying anything too different from >>9552293
>>
>>9552315
Yeah, you're right. But, still, I wanna get into writing and that's why I said what I said.

I already am an artist and while I do get to explore different concepts and ideas, writing is far less vague...not to mention quicker.
>>
>>9552285
I'm not calling you a pleb. I'm just saying other mediums to channel your creativity might work better for you. For example, I can't paint well. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate good painters. No need to sperg, we all have different talents
>>
>>9554194
okay[\spoiler]
>>
>>9554194
Sorry. I sperged because I already have explored those different avenues of expression, got gud enough to make money in some, and want to genuinely try something new.

Writing is an essential form of communication and isn't necessarily 100% expression. One might not be an end-game, heartfelt writer, yet still glean something from it beyond having another creative outlet. In my case I think it could clean off some of the dusty parts of my brain...again, I'm just worried about writing too stiltedly and unnaturally, both of which suggest some underlying issue--one that is at least partially fixable.

Maybe I should work backwards and try to by more of a monologue thinker. Mindfulness, self-consciousness, the whole nine yards.
>>9554930
Hi
>>
>>9550583
Dude, read Stanley Fish - How to Write a Sentence ffs.
>>
>>9550643
>frogposter doesn't think
Wow big surprise
>>
>>9555342
Why hate the frog?
>>
>>9550604
>Write to make your thoughts permanent, not to convey them to others

This, a million times this.

People give Derrida a lot of shit for this, but his thesis that writing is repressed and bastardized in Western thinking since Plato is spot on. I take the fact that most people do not realize that writing is first of all to make your thoughts permanent and second of all to communicate as proof-positive of Derrida's thesis.

This is directly to answer your concerns, OP, but if you're working through a difficult text (any genre) and you take the time to copy out passages on a piece of paper like they did in the 19th century and spend the rest of the page or more jotting down your thoughts, you will be amazed at how vast the returns are for your comprehension without even looking back to the notes. There is something, the structuralists probably have ideas as to what, about concretizing the fluid formation of thought in syntactical, temporal language on a page that cements the text in your mind. When I am working on a text for class or whatever, and I do this method, I really feel like i'm cheating, even though everyone can and should do this.

Long story short always copy out extracts.
>>
>>9555392
is not*
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.