[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to read older texts/translations, where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: noidea.jpg (30KB, 498x280px) Image search: [Google]
noidea.jpg
30KB, 498x280px
What is the best way to read older texts/translations, where the English is a bit harder to read?

For example, I want to read some of Shakespeare's plays, but the English can be a bit confusing. I've only read Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth in school, but there are plenty more that I think I should know.

Do you recommend getting publications with good annotations? Or just read Cliff's Notes afterwards? Are there ways to train yourself to be able to read these kinds of texts?
>>
>>9548520
Any suggestions?
>>
>>9548520
Get one with annotations. You'll be good without them after reading 2 or 3 plays.
>>
Practice. Slow down and pay attention. Read aloud if it helps.
>>
>>9548520
Google anything you don't understand, or use an annotated text if you prefer that.
Even the greatest scholars had to consult a teacher or a dictionary the first time they came across the word petard.
>>
>>9548716
What's a good publisher for annotated versions?
>>
>>9548520
both.

notes, plus Cliff Notes (or whatever handy guide comes your way).

but you'll need multiple rereadings and some effort.

well rewarding though.
>>
>>9548753
Anyone have suggestions?
>>
>>9549860
Folger works. Like >>9548716 said, you can read a non-annotated play just fine after reading 2-3 plays.
>>
Hey man, you seem intelligent enough. Aim for the Oxford or the Arden--these are /lit/'s fave publishers for Bill. I'm partial to the Oxford for its criticism and aesthetically it's a better looking book.

You won't need to worry about annotations in general, the most helpful will be an obscure reference explained or an unknown word explained. You'll get used to the other stuff (e.g. Five Temperaments, 17th century historic references, references to the bible and Ovid's Metamorphoses).

Seriously, don't be afraid to pick up a Shakespeare play. Try out Julius Caesar, The Merchant of Venice, Othello. You'll do fine. The language takes a few verses to get used to and it may take a minute for you to establish the characters' relations but other than that it will start to click. It's the same English we speak (early Modern English vs Modern English), just in its incipient form and of a high but often bawdy nature.

Pay attention to characters' soliloquies--these are widely known to be when characters' motivations, thoughts, or emotions change. They reflect upon their circumstances and effect a change in themselves.
>>
>>9550183
>I'm partial to the Oxford for its criticism and aesthetically it's a better looking book.

What would Oxford have that, say, Folger would not have? I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for in regards to the extra stuff than just the play.
>>
>>9550222
Oxford is probably the most meticulous. There's typically an introduction to the text detailing the themes and production, then a history of the text within the folios and the minutiae of that, the play itself, then source material, and then line by line lineation showing any alterations to the original text to improve clarity, then maybe someone in there an essay on one of the lenses through which to read the play.

You're probably only going to be reading a fraction of that, sometimes only the play itself.

You're really overthinking this man, that was my main point I didn't convey effectively enough. As long as it has a minimal amount of annotation--really just definitions for obscure, antiquated words--you're golden.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.