[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 8

File: 1494394291222.jpg (336KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1494394291222.jpg
336KB, 960x1280px
If I can only read one of these, which is the most worthwhile?

Purgatorio (already read Inferno)
Slaughterhouse-Five
Fahrenheit 451

also, new qtddtot since the old one is dead
>>
Catch22
>>
>Purgatorio (already read Inferno)

Ye.

>Slaughterhouse-Five

Reddit-core.

>Fahrenheit 451

Garbage. Source: I have read it.
>>
>>9546448
But why couldn't you read all three of them?
Finish what you started. Read Dante.
>>
>>9546448
Purgatorio and then Paradiso. Don't drop The Divine Comedy after just reading Inferno. Inferno is the first part of the legendary poem and to not read Purgatorio and Paradiso afterwards is like not having read The Divine Comedy at all.
>>
Is there any merit to putting individual short stories (5000-9000 words) up on the Kindle store as a sort of demo of my work? I'd rather not try and make them into a collection as most of them don't really have a connecting theme.
>>
>>9546448
If I had to pick one, I'd go with with Fahrenheit 451
>>
I need critique threads in spanish, any rec?
>>
>>9546448
>should I stop reading this book a third of the way through?
Absolutely Purgatorio. It's also way better than the other two.
>>
Is Folger good for Shakespeare? If not, what's the best to buy?
>>
Which translation of Symposium is the best?
>>
>>9549840
Depends what you're actually looking for/what you mean by 'good'. They have pretty minimal critical/analytical material (usually a short essay, and some generaly "how to read shakespeare" stuff), but they have scene summaries and definitions/clarifications for some language stuff presented in a format where the left page is scene summary (for the start of new scenes) and the definitions are below it, and then the actual play is on the right page which, in my opinion, is a nicer layout than some of the alternatives I've seen.

They're extremely cheap (at least they are here), so if you don't care about a bunch of analysis and the like and you more or less just want the play with some helpful language notes they're not a bad option.
>>
>>9546448
I've read all three of these at one point or another.

If you've recently read Inferno, then definitely continue with Dante.

Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my all time favorite books. So it would definitely be my choice here.

Fahrenheit 451 isn't my favorite.
>>9546455
He had it right. If you want something dystopian go with Catch 22 or Brave New World.
>>
>>9546448
Purgatorio.
>>
File: 1490161535191.jpg (42KB, 389x491px) Image search: [Google]
1490161535191.jpg
42KB, 389x491px
>>9549964
>Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my all time favorite books
>>
>>9549959
Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the Canon so deep analyses are not my priority at the moment, just some language clarification.
>>
Is William Weaver the best translator of Calvino?
>>
The only one of those I've read is Fahrenheit 451. Some people in this thread have said it's garbage, and maybe it is, but I liked it.
>>
>>9550064
He's the standard, like rabassa with marquez
>>
How do I get started on Wittgenstein? Do I need to read the Tractatus to read Philosophical Investigations? Which other philosophers do I need to know?
>>
>>9550247
Most of Tractatus is discarded in PI, but what is important or still relevant is repeated. You don't need anything really, just dive in.
>>
>>9546448
Purgatorio and it's not even close.
>>
>>9549964
Catch-22 isn't even close to being dystopian and BNW is just shit.
>>
I just finished reading Huntington's The Clash of Civilizations. Does anyone know anything good that's critical of it? I already read Said's article.
>>
>>9546448
Honest thoughts on fan fiction?
>>
>>9546448
I know who this girl is through acquaintances. Imagine having fucking strangers post your photos online
>>
>>9550724
did you fugg?
>>
>>9546448
Purgatorio is the m0st worthwhile to read

>>9546489
Sure, if you think there's a market for them.

>>9549840
Just get a complete works and research the works on the internet.

>>9550449
Really it's not harmful, it just will never be anything more than a juvenile indulgence
>>
>>9550724
I'll give you 1k if you can sell me a pair of her used panties. Contact me at [email protected]
>>
>>9550727
I wish
>>
>>9550247
I recommend a basic (really basic) understanding of the tractatus. The only convenient philosopher before Witty is Frege but if you don't want to bother that's fine.
>>
>>9550741
Sent ;)
>>
>>9550384
Brave New World is known for its vision of the future, not for its story.
>>
>>9550417
http://docs.rwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1069&context=rr
>>
>>9546448
who is this somber succubus
>>
There is a cute 16 year old girl with a cambodian mother and a white american father I have come into correspondence with, I don't even live in the US and I have barely read any literature and I'm 20. I feel a little sad when I realise american education can be better than the average secondary school/a level education in the UK, she was also formally taught latin.

She tells me the last 5 books she has read outside of school that could be considered literary are:
although of course you end up becoming yourself
a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again
breakfast of champions
norwegian wood
nausea

The only books I was reading at her age were chris ryan, jack higgins and andy mcnab novels. Is what she reads common enough for someone of her age, will she take up Blooms mantle or at least read the entire western canon when she gets older?
>>
>>9553073

>Is what she reads common enough for someone of her age

No, certainly not. She's a keeper!
>>
>>9549899
I've read the Woodruff and Nehamas version 3 times and loved it.
>>
how do i learn how to write? i dont even know the proper usage semi-colons. is there a /lit/ equivalent of khanacademy or a book or something that's targeted towards brainlets
>>
>>9550247
Look into Stanely Cavell, Rush Rhees, Cora Diamond, Newton Garver as secondary commentaries. Read Ray Monk's biography.

Read the Philosophical Investigations with the Hacker & Baker 4-volume megacommentary.

Delve into more difficult Wittgenstein scholarship from there if you care about situating the Tractatus and worrying about conflicting interpretations.
>>
>>9549899
I absolutely adored reading R.E. Allen's translations of Plato. Unfortunately he didn't translate very many of the dialogues, but his Symposium can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Dialogues-Plato-2-Symposium/dp/0300056990
>>
>>9554055
>I absolutely adored

Faggggggggggggg
>>
>>9546448
probably purgatorio. maybe sh5. definitely not 451
>>
File: image.jpg (261KB, 1536x1020px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261KB, 1536x1020px
Are there any good books with a similar premise to Breaking Bad?
>>
>>9552628
>its vision of the future
>>
i have read faust I, now considering the huge delay between it and faust II, is it a good idea to read something else in between?
>>
Should I read the books that I want to read or read the books that /lit/ tells me I need to read?
>>
>>9555042
>the books that /lit/ tells me I need
this
>>
>>9555042
>books that I want to read
the hard part is to figure out what those are
thats why /lit/ tells you what to try
>>
>>9550384
Mate, the plot isn't the point of BNW. The setting is. It provides a much more realistic dystopian society which is based on evolutionary human psychology, rather than 1984 which aims to restrict human tendencies.
>>
>>9555060
>the hard part is to figure out what those are
I want to read trashy sci-fi but /lit/ says this makes me a pleb.
I try to read some of the shit that's recommended, but I don't enjoy it. I end up feeling that I'm only reading it to make myself feel smart.
>>
>>9553073
I'm 18 and I've read the /lit/ starter kit, Dostoyevsky, Kafka, and currently reading Plato.
>>
>>9555072
Have you read the lit starter kit? There's a lot of trashy stuff there that /lit/ seems to like.
>>
>>9553490
You pick up a style guide, and then you read a lot of fiction. The style guide helps you with comma and semicolon placement, the reading makes you a better and more clever person.
S&W, and Sin&Syntax are my favourite style guides.
>>
File: 1494857705937.jpg (98KB, 693x924px) Image search: [Google]
1494857705937.jpg
98KB, 693x924px
What are some good books where a girl gets kidnapped? Like The Collector except more lewd if possible pls.
>>
File: shakespeare-header.jpg (239KB, 1054x592px) Image search: [Google]
shakespeare-header.jpg
239KB, 1054x592px
Is there a good epub / ebook collected works of Shakespeare?
Any recommendations?
>>
File: bump.jpg (96KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
96KB, 728x546px
>>
Purgatorio, immediately.

Reading only Inferno of the Comedy is like going to Paris and seeing only the catacombs.
>>
>>9555552
http://www.folgerdigitaltexts.org/
you can probably download these as pdfs
>>
>>9550724
what's her name and where can I find more of her pictures
>>
Do people read fewer books these days or does e-reader technology and marketplaces like amazon mean people actually read more? What are some of the popular theories on how the web has transformed reading habits in relation to the novel and is it true that young people are less likely to read books, particularly fiction, than their older counterparts? What do the trends say and are their any thinkers who have iyo documented some of these trends?
>>
>>9560415

>The percentage of American adults who read literature — any novels, short stories, poetry or plays — fell to at least a three-decade low last year, according to a new report from the National Endowment for the Arts. In 2015, 43 percent of adults read at least one work of literature in the previous year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/

>Work by the Pew Research Center and other outfits have confirmed the testimony of teachers and parents and the evidence of one’s eyes. Few late teen-agers are reading many books. A recent summary of studies cited by Common Sense Media indicates that American teen-agers are less likely to read “for fun” at seventeen than at thirteen.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/books-smell-like-old-people-the-decline-of-teen-reading
>>
>>9560131

Its a Trap
>>
are there any novels that capture our current zeitgeist? and when i mean that, i mean specifically by how there's far too many cultural events occurring at the same time and the novel offers a narrative reflecting our huge interconnected world, with all of its perspectives (or at leasts attempts to).
>>
What is that poetic technical term for when you describe an "objective" entity by the emotions or values assigned to it?

I think it works like, "a painful place," but really meaning a "place that causes me pain to be in"
>>
>>9562836
Found it, pathetic fallacy
>>
got accepted to grad school, need some recs for literary analysis and grammar in Spanish
>>
Anyone know of a resource similar to http://pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/arch/iliad/IliadGuide00.html but for The Odyssey?
>>
>>9550724
Tell us her name already!
>>
So are we supposed to assume that all of these ancient greek warriors whose parents were Zeus or Apollo or Ares were in reality all bastards?
>>
Is writing the best way to train my vocabularies?
>>
>>9554732
bump
>>
>>9564945
Those were demigods you heretic.
>>
is this book postmodern?
>>
What's the best way to get into feminist theory?

Where do I start? bell hooks?
>>
>>9566510
try Lacan
>>
>>9546460
This. Slaughterhouse Five is trash for Reddit-tier brainlets who want to look smart and pretend you were too stupid to follow the plot when you say it's trash.
>>
>>9546489
There's no reason not to. Just put them up under a pseudonym and see what people have to say about them.
>>
>>9555212
Lolita
>>
>>9566571
I wouldn't even wipe my ass with Lolita.
>>
What is a good app or social media to meet fellow book people?
>>
>>9567129

Grindr
>>
>>9566558
>>9546460

God, THANK you. I thought I was the only one shitting on it.

Farenheit 451 was a drag. It didn't feel like a 'believable' dystopia and it's like he's saying 'books are the truth because they're written on paper'. I didn't finish it. GO ahead, beat me for my prima facie opinion. I'll love you for it and suck your cock if you keep it up.
>>
>>9566549
What should I read by him? I looked at his wikipedia article and it didn't really seem like he was focused on feminism.

Did I find the wrong Lacan?
>>
did bookz stop working or is it me? where else could I go to download books?

also, any recommendations on where to get course materials? don't want to pay $150 for my summer textbook
>>
>>9567302
There's been multiple threads about bookzz being down. There are like mirror websites that work though like bookfi dot net and book4you dot org
>>
>>9567327
sorry, I've been in Cuba these past two months. I have no service down there and the WiFi is shit
>>
>>9567158
In the end the books themselves did not matter only their content
>>
>>9565795

Pas vraiment.
>>
I grind my teeth to stumps, how do I stop?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.