[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How "great" is the Great Gatsby?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0033.png (58KB, 190x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.png
58KB, 190x315px
>>
it's just really good for what it is. Maybe that makes it great.
>>
OP here, wasn't really clear in my post.
Specific strengths, themes, and styles are my primary focus.
>>
>>9546124
It's good.

What I hate is people talking about how the pursuit of the "American Dream" is the major theme of the novel, when it is so obviously not.

The Great Gatsby is about nostalgia, wishing for something you used to have, feelings you used to know, a love you used to possess, and trying to get it back again, but realizing finally, in the end, things can never be the same. Gatsby will never have the young, innocent semen demon Daisy, who will love him and only him for all time. It's already too late. She's lost her glow, she's finished. He should've learned the greatest part of romance is the beginning, before there has been any jealousy, and neither party has hurt the other yet.
>>
redpilled about Jews at least
>>
File: 4vvCPPL.jpg (68KB, 920x518px) Image search: [Google]
4vvCPPL.jpg
68KB, 920x518px
>>9546229
This guy again lmao hahahahahahahahahaha dude you make this post at least twice a week
>>
"My old sport, no longer will it suffice to refer to you as the regular gatsby...henceforth you shall be known as the Great Gatsby."

what did he mean by this
>>
>>9546229
This.

Its a fairly boring novel if read as a look at American culture. Far more interesting what it says about the individual.

I would take it a step further though, he not only makes a point about the inaccessibility of nostalgia, but also its nonexistence. Gatsby is not only longing for something that can't be again, but also for something that never was.
>>
>>9546229
Agreed. My book's back cover literally says that it's a novel about the American dream, and I'm just confused as to why.
>>
>>9546229
every single novel in English class is about the American Dream, even the ones written by Britons before America was founded
>>
>>9546229
Um, kinda? It's about the disillusionment of the American Dream. Gatsby has achieved the American Dream, with his huge house and loads of money, but finds that none of it is what he wanted. It's sort of a counterpart to "Of Mice and Men." While Steinbeck's novel discusses the difficulty of achieving the American Dream, Fitzgerald's novel discusses the futility of it, how once you actually get there you realize it won't give you what you really wanted.
>>
>>9546229
But the car and horses symbolisms though
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.