[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: silverdome.jpg (329KB, 1400x1040px) Image search: [Google]
silverdome.jpg
329KB, 1400x1040px
how do you guys build plot in your writing? do you sit down beforehand and plan out every piece of the story that will happen and just fill in a couple gaps as you write them? do you just write everything as it goes and just hope it sort of works out?

i need some tips for figuring out what exactly i want to write. i love writing and i have some ideas (some concrete, others conceptual) that i want to get down on paper, but i'm having trouble either figuring out exactly WHAT it is that i want to write or figuring out what should or shouldnt happen in the story.
>>
i also have the problem of starting writing something that i really enjoy and then almost immediately becoming intensely bored of it, and then being enthralled with a completely different setting and wanting to switch to that.
has anybody been able to combat this somehow? it's been going on for years and it's awful
>>
Starting point > problem > solution > character growth > halfway > problem > solution > victory and or character growth
>>
>>9543667
that was helpful, but wouldnt it lead to a somewhat bland story if it just followed that formula?
>>
>>9543667
THE definitive method from the master of mediocrity himself on how to never be remembered for anything you write.
>>
>>9543683
Hey, let the pleb have his formula. He needs something to feel like he knows what he's talking about.
>>
Read up on Dramatica.
>>
>>9543667

>people actually write like this

I'm going to give you a bit of advice mate, stop doing that. No refunds.
>>
>>9543661
all writers are different.

some plan every thing from before they've even written a line.

others just put the pen to the page and see what happens as they write.

obviously, editing and so on will be more important in the second case, as if that weren't clear already.

you just have to find what works for you.
>>
With my current and only book, the premise and major story arc (MC's goal and ending) came to me all at once before I began writing. Then I just started writing. the middle points kinda filled themselves in.
To be fair if I wanted a book longer than 50-60k words I'd probably have to do an outline because I was struggling to find meaningful events to happen in the middle for character growth.
>>
>>9543678
Not that anon but this is basic plotting. It will lead to bland stories unless you do something interesting with it or change it in some way. That's not to say it isn't a useful starting point for a beginner.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.