[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished the Bible. I need someone to explain this Paul

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170520_192612.jpg (21KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170520_192612.jpg
21KB, 439x290px
Just finished the Bible. I need someone to explain this Paul fellow to me. Did he effectively create what we know as Christianity? It seemed like he had an unjustifiable amount of power for a man who never even saw Jesus.
>>
>>9537809
>Did he effectively create what we know as Christianity?
No, this is a meme created by reddit fedoras who think that every church teaching not explicitly laid out by Jesus Christ in the Gospels comes from Paul (even though they can rarely point to a single example), because they were raised by plebeian protestants who don't know shit about the Sacred Tradition of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Martin Luther was a pseud and as always Germans were a mistake. The Spanish church did literally nothing wrong. Impeach Pope Francis Amen
>>
>>9537809
>this Paul fellow

lets not pretend they were white Americans ok?

His name was Sha'ul, and he was a brown Jew.
>>
>>9537851
how would you categorize your faith?
>>
>>9537851
how does sedevacantism even work?
legit curious, why don't disaffected Catholics just become Anglicans or something?
>>
>>9537875
He was a christian.
>>
>>9537878
>>9537881
I don't believe in God. I just respect the Catholic Church for what it is/was
>>
>>9537881
>why don't disaffected Catholics just become Anglicans or something?

Some convert to Orthodoxy. They wouldn't become Anglicans unless they're left-leaning since Anglicans especially the Episcopal Church are more liberal than Jorge "Karl Marx" Bergoglio.
>>
>>9537809
More important than Paul for shaping Christianity were the people who came after him, who treated his letters as an authority. Sometimes writing new Acts of Paul or even forging new letters using his name.
>>
>>9537809
>Did he effectively create what we know as Christianity?
As far we can tell, yes. He was instrumental in spreading Christianity to non-jews, mostly in Antioch, Asia Minor, Greece, and Rome. We have conflicting stories in the Bible about how his mission exactly started, but it involved seeing a vision of Jesus, some kind of meeting with Peter, and several trips to cities around the mediterranean where he founded Christian communities. His theology is absolutely fundamental for how Christianity developed and his letters are the earliest Christian writings we have.

Even a sect like Marcionism, which is very different to modern Christianity, used Paul's letters. There were other groups like the gnostics who rejected Paul and were reasonably popular until around the 4th century. There were also Jewish Christians, who accepted Jesus as the messiah but kept the jewish law and cultural customs, an implicit rejection of Paul's theology. Those groups eventually fell by the wayside and Christianity today is definitely Pauline in nature.
>>
>>9537809
Christianity as we know it was created by Constantine and the Romans
>>
>>9537851
>Martin Luther was a pseud and as always Germans were a mistake

God bless you, anon.
>>
>>9538339
prots gon' prot
>>
>>9537988
This . Christianity was nothing more than a Jewish sect until Paul successfully shilled it to the non Jews by making them not have to follow the culture of the Israelites
>>
>>9537988
OK thanks for this reply. So do Christians view Paul as a legitimate authority because the disciples never rebuked his teachings?
>>
>>9537809
> for a man who never even saw Jesus
Probably because Jesus wasn't a historical person but he was more convincing than the "apostles" at convincing people of your cult. See >>9537988
>>
>>9537809
No. There are protties [namely evangelicals] that are like this but this is not how most Christian theology is.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.