[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tragedy, highest form of art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: large-13.jpg (295KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
large-13.jpg
295KB, 1920x1200px
Tragedy, is fundamentally a drama form which focuses on human suffering, invoking an accompanying catharsis. Why do so many philosophers and artists through history consider tragedy as pinnacle of arts?

Also is tragedy inherently a Western art form? It seems to be so historically. While many other civilization did produce works in tragedy genre, none placed so much focus and praise on tragedy like the Western civilization did.
>>
My reply from other thread.

Tragedy as art form is the most truest and noble of all art forms.

That being said, other cultures did create works in tragic genre. But for example, a Hindu or a Muslim would not comprehend tragedy in same way a Euro would.
>>
>>9533844
the real tragedy is that you chose that 'painting' for this thread
>>
>>9533933
Why is tragedy the truest form of art?
>>
I believe that tragedy is inherent in culture because it connects with the basic human emotions of sadness and anger. We all can relate to those two emotions so a tragedy inherently connects with its audience.

As for the second question, culture. The culture of entertainment is vastly different between the east and the west. How specifically I don't remember, but I'm almost entirely sure that the East prefered more comedic stories while the west prefered dramatic, satire vs. drama.
>>
File: I hope you get cancer.jpg (86KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
I hope you get cancer.jpg
86KB, 1920x1080px
[my favourite art form], highest form of art?

[generic and useless description of the form]. Why do so many philosophers and artists through history consider [the art form] as pinnacle of arts?

really makes me think
>>
>>9533844
Anton Wilson has an interesting little anecdote that Joyce used to think the same thing when he was a young man, but then came to the conclusion that comedy, instead, was the highest form of art since it lifts man's spirits, and that's why he decided to make Ulysses ultimately comical.

However, I can't find much information on it, so you have to take RAW's word on it.

Also the notice that the West is more obsessed with tragedy is very pertinent. Even its major religion (Christianity) has a tragic story at its center. Its major books of religion (the Koran, the Old Testament/Torah and New Testament) are also filled mostly with direct exhortations to praise God, rules for ordering society, and incredibly serious stories centered around prophets who have to live unhappy lives and struggle, and occasionally vast, epic descriptions of wars, violence, turbulence in the skies, etc.

While the Mahhabharata approximates this, a lot of Eastern mystical/religious writing is, on the other hand, on a smaller scale, with comical koans and parables, disconnected stories and pieces of wisdom/advice without a lot of great, manly tragic figures. When we think of the Buddha, we think of a fat smiling man who attained great peace and renown in his life, and when we think of Jesus, some incredibly serious, idealistic man who had to suffer persecution and crucifixion for his ideals.
>>
Shia part of Islam focuses heavy on suffering and martyrdom, just like Christians do. It does explain why so many Iranian, Iraqi Shias write so many works that are tragic and sorrowful.

Really do not know situation in Hindu or East Asia.
>>
>>9534564
In the West, the image of Budai is often mistaken for that of Gautama Buddha, and is hence called the Fat Buddha (Chinese: 胖佛; pinyin: Pàng Fó).
>>
>>9533844
Wouldn't comedy be the highest art form? Tragedy is more universal probably, as everyone either sees the tragedy of others or experiences it themselves. In fact, most people probably experience a life that is ultimately tragic. But wouldn't comedy, meaning the attainment of true, unbreakable happiness be more beautiful, even if only reserved for a few? It would be even more beautiful if everyone experienced an ultimately comic existence. For instance, isn't a successful/perfect God/universe more beautiful than one who fails?
>>
File: 1474875007040.png (84KB, 250x419px) Image search: [Google]
1474875007040.png
84KB, 250x419px
>>9534499
Patrician post.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.