[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Non-Loeb Translation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: iliad-1.gif (16KB, 374x547px) Image search: [Google]
iliad-1.gif
16KB, 374x547px
Is Pope's translation any good?
>>
Only if you hate the greek
>>
>>9532367
So what if I don't hate the Greek, whats a good translation?
>>
>>9532357
>Homer

back to >>>/pol/, fucking retard
>>
Logue - War Music
>>
Fitzgerald master race
>>
Fagles master race
>>
>>9532357
No, it's rhyming iambic couplets - translating a poem that didn't rhyme in dactylic hexameter.
>>
>>9533084
Any good translations then?
>>
>>9533101
Fitzgerald, Fagles, or Lattimore. They have their strengths and their weaknesses.

Lattimore is the most faithful and accurate, Fitzgerald is the most poetic and beautiful in language (I personally prefer it), Fagles has the speed, joy, and power.

As a side note, Fagles' translation of The Oresteia is by far the best.
>>
>>9533109
What is your opinion about Butler's translation?
>>
>>9533447
There's stigma here (and elsewhere) against prose translations of verse, so you won't get really anyone recommending you Butler. With that said, his is very readable and accessible, and is well-written so you still get to experience the beauty of the Iliad.

Personally, I'd recommend Pope's. No, his isn't the most faithful, but it's by far the most poetically pleasing and captures the godly, heroic mood wonderfully in English.
>>
>>9533447
>>9533488
However, if you do care about fidelity to the original, then this post >>9533109 is quite accurate.
>>
File: 9tjcr-bW_400x400[1].png (426KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
9tjcr-bW_400x400[1].png
426KB, 400x400px
>when your translation of a poem is so good other poets are writing poems about your poems
>>
>>9533488
Thanks for the honest answer. I think I'll start out with Butler and then continue later on with either Fitzgerald's or Pope's translation.
>>
>>9533627
Chapman's plays are good too.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.