[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joseph Campbell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

What are your opinions? Should I give pic-related a try?
>>
It's arguably the most important formative work for contemporary fiction.
It's historical and mythological validity is questionable though. So it depends what you're reading for.
>>
>>9531899
Very comfy, but use it as a stepping stone into comparative mythology rather thn as a summation of it.

Also, can anyone get me a link to the Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake? I can payback by uploading some lectures about Joyce by him, though I haven't listened to them yet.
>>
I've had it in my to-read box for like a year. Not sure I'll ever pick it up.
>>
File: Reader-is-sexy.jpg (90KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
Reader-is-sexy.jpg
90KB, 500x707px
>>9531899
I read it a few years ago. I found it interesting and insightful, but like another anon mentions, it's validity is questionable.

Sort of like Sagan's Cosmos, it's still a good read, but the information inside may be outdated.
>>
File: yhVThJO.jpg (289KB, 1000x1571px) Image search: [Google]
yhVThJO.jpg
289KB, 1000x1571px
>>9533454
Are there more contemporary works on comparative mythology that are more accurate? I'd love to look into them (not OP).
>>
>>9534247
Contemporary not so much that I know of, but Eliade, Frazer and Panofsky (though I don't like him very much, Warburg is better)
>>
>>9531899
>If you want writing advice
Yes
>If you want a pop-history account of mythology
I guess
>If you want actual comparitive mythology
No
>>
>>9531924
>It's arguably the most important formative work for contemporary fiction.

Holyshit how deluded can you be.
Name a single important writer who was influenced by it
>>
File: HeroCycle-Campbell.png (154KB, 1500x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HeroCycle-Campbell.png
154KB, 1500x1080px
>>9535043
Dan Harmon.
What he writes is good, he makes a lot of money, and his works have huge fanbases. He credits his writing ability to Campbell with inspiration from the hero's journey.
>>
>>9535623
Oh wow a fucking cartoon writer.
You've some funny notion of importance
>>
File: 1488918843964.jpg (111KB, 970x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488918843964.jpg
111KB, 970x1024px
>>9535637
But these days that's why literature is important. Its used to craft stories and to create a narrative that people can both appreciate and relate to.

Literature is just entertainment at the end of the day. Which message is going to impact culture more – a popular TV show that scrapes philosophical themes, or English PhD thesis #20499543 that less than 200 people will read?

Besides, it's hard to write good screenplays, and it's incredible how consistent the quality of his screenplays are. It's much higher quality than your shitposting anyway. Have a nice day and stop being miserable.
>>
>>9535043
John Gardner and George Lucas, off the top of my head
inb4
>hurr Lucas a shit Star Wars was just a fluke and has no impact on modern fiction durr
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.