[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK are you not reading Shakespeare right now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

File: images (49).jpg (13KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
images (49).jpg
13KB, 220x220px
Why the FUCK are you not reading Shakespeare right now?
>>
I only read white male authors.
>>
Because he didn't write anything, he was barely literate.
>>
File: shakespearebigaloo.jpg (3MB, 3000x1635px) Image search: [Google]
shakespearebigaloo.jpg
3MB, 3000x1635px
>>9531380
Finished with Winters Tale. Slightly disappointing ending, great twist of genres, he certainly isn't at home in pastoral setting. First to suggest decides on what I read next.
>>
>>9531435
Titus Andronicus.

But what haven't you read by him?
>>
>>9531380
Because I prefer to watch Shakespeare. Plays are meant to be seen, not read.
>>
>>9531435
>he certainly isn't at home in pastoral setting

It's not a genuine pastoral, it's ironical

Read Midsummer next, dummy. Pay attention to the mechanicals.
>>
File: v.jpg (3MB, 3000x1635px) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
3MB, 3000x1635px
>>9531435
right picture
>>
>>9531450
Well, ok. But texts and librettos can and should be read. This not only promotes understanding, but aids the judgement when watching.
>>
>>9531380
*Marlowe
>>
>>9531450
plays were written before they were performed
>>
>>9531467
This one's the dumbest of them all. His style is completely different.
>>
>>9531450
You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>9531464
Titus Andronicus, then.
>>
Is Julius Caesar a good starting point for Shakespeare?
>>
>>9531380
I've read them all but The Tempest, All is True, and The Two Noble Kinsmen, which I will have read in a couple days.

5 favorites, everyone?

>Lear
>Hamlet
>Macbeth
>Coriolanus
>Shrew
>>
Do you have to be a member of NAMBLA to read Shrajespare`?
>>
>>9531461
There is nothing ironic about Boemia chapters. It's clearly pastoral at first with few great lines from Hermione, but it quickly turns into pure comedy relief and then as soon into drama with hastened ending.
>>
I never know from where to start, please guide me /lit/
>>
>>9531380
I was about 5 minutes ago.
>>
>tfw reading Coriolanus
>>
>>9531551
Is it really "proto-fascist" as people claim it to be?
>>
>>9531540
Good starting plays:

>Romeo and Juliet
>Taming of the Shrew
>Macbeth
>Othello
>Titus Andronicus
>Hamlet

Shakespeare is meant to be re-read and re-read and watched live, so if you find yourself struggling (especially at the beginning of going through his work and especially while going through each play for the first time), then you're completely fine. Know that half of the fun is the reward you get from toughing through his work and constantly challenging yourself.

Read a play like Macbeth once (preferably all the way through if you're truly dedicated) without looking at external sources outside of the footnotes. Then, depending on how "gifted" or "dedicated" you are, you can watch a play or read some criticism, but I recommend reading a play at least twice before doing this. That way you can get a picture in your own head of what's going on, and you can come to your own analysis.

Also, reading aloud helps, but I find my voice always tiring out by the third act when I do this.

>>9531551
>If? He is their god. He leads them like a thing
>Made by some other deity than nature,
>That shapes man better, and they follow him
>Against us brats with no less confidence
>Than boys pursuing summer butterflies,
>Or butchers killing flies.

Brb bros, gonna go hit the gym.
>>
>>9531513
Titus it is.

>>9531522
>Romeo
>Hamlet
>Richard II
>Troilus
>Comedy of Errors

Lear, Othello, and Coriolanus are very close. I'm sucked for endings, and the one in Coriolanus is somewhat watered down with momy coming to rescue. His speeches are amazing, though.
>>
his worse plays (relative to himself) are far better on stage than in text.

like cymbeline, for example
>>
>>9531573
Othello and Coriolanus are also close for me. I need to re-read Richard II again because I've only read it once, but why Comedy of Errors?
>>
Because I'm reading Pynchon you pink sock gobbling cunt
>>
>>9531522
>hamlet
>hal, part 1
>julius
>taming
>tie between the tempest and 12th night

i have yet to read king lear, mostly because i want to find a good critical edition w/ lots of supplementary essays
>>
>>9531585
First of his that I read for pleasure. Also those fat lady jokes are hilarious.
>>
>>9531536

Hermione doesn't appear in Bohemia, she's supposed to be dead. Do you mean Perdita?

It's a pastoral SETTING, but it isn't a pastoral MODE. You have two upstart bumpkins squandering their arbitrary fortune on frivolities like hundreds of pounds of ginger while a conman that used to be employed by the king takes the idiot locals and the bumpkins themselves for everything they have selling sheet music and NAPKINS, while the king himself--the ruler of this false idyll--very nearly recreates for himself the same tragedy that consumed his childhood friend not two acts prior--and so on.

Read closer?
>>
>>9531601
>>9531536

There are no pure modes in Shakespeare. If you try and pigeonhole his work you completely lose sight of what makes it great, which is its playfulness.
>>
Sorry if I'm all over the place, but I just love the Shakespeare discussion:

>>9531595
Fair enough--It's a fun ride.
>>9531593
"We have King Lear: and it is immortal." I've only read it twice, and a few essays on it, but hot damn is it great.
Also,
>>9531593
>>9531573
Since you two also chose Hamlet, can I ask why? For me, it's his moral sensibility and his genius (Bradley) and the "coming to terms" with his mother and his life crashing around him, and how that goes with the "bounded in a nutshell" line, and so, so much more.
>>9531612
>>9531601
Who are your guys's favorite Shakespeare critics? Essential readings?
>>
>>9531561
Coriolanus the character is undeniably a proto-fascist, but I don't know if it's accurate to say that the play itself is an endorsement of fascism. It's a sympathetic portrayal of a fascist rather than a sympathetic portrayal of fascism. It's not explicitly promoting or criticizing a form of government, it's making use of politics for dramatic effect.
>>
>>9531435
really dissapointed that wasn't a shakespeare roll chart
>>
>Shakespeare

back to /pol/, nazi retards
>>
>>9531593
>i have yet to read king lear, mostly because i want to find a good critical edition w/ lots of supplementary essays

Arden Shakespeare my nigga
>>
File: it's gold.png (1MB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
it's gold.png
1MB, 1000x750px
I'm reading. It's wonderful anons
>>
Because I haven't finished the Greeks yet
>>
Arden has such ugly covers holy fuck.
>>
>>9531625
H. C. Goddard's essential. G. Wilson Knight's fantastic.
>>
How about his sonnets, guys?
>>
I can't get into him. I've read a lot of his plays but have only seriously enjoyed a few, and could have done without the rest. I'd like to watch them and see if reading them just doesn't work for me, or if I simply don't like the man's works themselves.
>>
>>9531380
Middleton*
>>
>>9531625
>why hamlet?
i actually had the great (outrageous) fortune to play an abridged hamlet in my high school's production. apart from my familiarity with it, there's the obvious question of his sanity, the pre-freudian self-awareness (and lack thereof), and some great lines like "there is special providence in the fall of a sparrow."

also, that proto-postmodern play within a play. hamlet's just a satisfying read.
>>
I'm still with the sumerians
>>
I am settled, and bend up
Each corporal agent to this terrible feat.
Away, and mock the time with fairest show.
False face must hide what the false heart doth know
Eyes without feeling, feeling without sight,
Ears without hands or eyes, smelling sans all,
Or but a sickly part of one true sense
Could not so mope. O shame, where is thy blush?
Though ’tis no wisdom to confess so much
Unto an enemy of craft and vantage,
My people are with sickness much enfeebled,
My numbers lessened, and those few I have
Almost no better than so many French,
Who when they were in health, I tell thee, herald,
I thought upon one pair of English legs
Did march three Frenchmen. Yet, forgive me, God,
That I do brag thus. This your air of France
Hath blown that vice in me. I must repent.
What did he mean by all of these?

I cried the last time I read Shakespeare.
>>
>>9532153
kek
>>
>>9531657
My philosophy professor is an obvious Marxist and he recommended Shakespeare to the class.
>>
Why did Iago do it?
>>
>>9531902
I'm thinking of buying the Oxford World's Classics edition of his complete sonnets, is there any edition that is obviously superior you or anyone else knows about?
>>
>>9531385
Too subtle for this lot, my friend
>>
File: pelican-shakespeare1.jpg (282KB, 1500x1033px) Image search: [Google]
pelican-shakespeare1.jpg
282KB, 1500x1033px
What does everyone think of the new Pelican editions? I quite like them.
>>
>>9531468
Recipes were written before they were cooked. You wanna read your cake or eat it, mong?
>>
>>9532309
He was just an all round bad dude.
>>
>>9531464
why the fuck have you not yet read Antony and Cleopatra?
>>
>>9532319
The Arden one is prettt good. There's also a Longman Annotated Poets edition that will be available next year I think? That's probably the most scholarly one there will be. I don't like the Oxford since it's too thick and kinda unwieldly. The Arden is much better in that regard. The Penguin edition is also very good.

>>9532346
Decent text, but there are better editons.

>>9532309
That is not the important question, really.
>>
>>9531522
>Macbeth
>Antony and Cleopatra
>Merchant of Venice
>Hamlet
>Lear
>>
>>9532327
>thinks that was subtle

Holy Shit.
>>
>>9532356
Checkmate
>>
>>9532405
>>9532411
>antony and cleopatra
>not shakespeare's worst tragedy

are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>9532711
>being this much of a pleb
>>
>>9532722
fight me

Rankings of the plays I've read:

Macbeth
Hamlet
Othello
12th Night
King Lear
Julius Caesar
Merchant of Venice
Measure for Measure
The Tempest
Henry VI, Part Three
Coriolanus
Romeo and Juliet
Henry IV Part Two
Richard III
Richard II
Henry IV Part One
Merry Wives of Windsor
Henry V
Titus Andronicus
The Comedy of Errors
A Winter’s Tale
Henry VI, Part One
Henry VI, Part Two
Love’s Labour Lost
Antony and Cleopatra
As You Like It
>>
>>9532735
utterly pathetic
>>
>>9531380
I would definitely like to explore his work deeper but they are too over written. I remember reading Macbeth in high school and how terrible the experience was because I needed to have so much previous knowledge of the subject matter and hundreds of obscure references to understand his "metaphors" and "allegories" that was AP English and that class busted my balls to the max.

Shakespeare is too hardcore for me. Literally shouldn't be painful in my opinion it's suppose to feel natural and intuitive to the mind.
>>
>>9531450
This.
>>
In high school I read:
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
Macbeth
Hamlet

What else should I read by him? (besides King Lear)
>>
>>9532735
>As You Like It
Patrician.
>>
>>9531522
>Macbeth
>Hamlet
>Othello
>Lear
>Merchant of Venice
Incidentally, my favourite flavour of ice cream is vanilla.
>>
>>9531380
I'm too busy writing my thesis on Faust.
>>
>>9534880
Goethe or Marlowe?
>>
>>9532309
Because of the Cassio promotion, but moreso because he is jealous that he is incapable of being as good a man as Cassio or Othello.
>>
>>9534809
Literally everything and 90% of it again and again
>>
>>9533168
I played Macbeth in normal English and it was pretty sweet.
>>
>>9533168
Wait for a few years. As long as youre reading a lot it will be totally different. Your post is why starting with the classics can be counterproductive - if youre no well versed in the canon this is how ppl feel
>>
>>9531593
Make sure to read both the extant versions of Lear, the differences are worth it. (This doesn't refer to the bowdlerized version where yay everyone lives.)
>>
>>9531442
Bleh
>>
i am currently shaking my pear
aka masturbating
>>
>>9533168
Nigga that's what almost everyone feels first reading Shakespeare.

Protip: read more difficult and varied literature in terms of syntax, not too difficult but build up to more difficult literature. Read more shakespeare plays themselves, preferably annotated additions or something. All you need to do is actually care about it, and eventually you'll be able to read Shakespeare "fluently" after a few years, that is, quite easily, having memorized some slightly archaic vocabulary, being used to his somewhat convoluted syntax, and able to more easily understand strange usages of words and complicated metaphors.

After forcing yourself over a time to just read about 10 of his plays, reading Shakespeare already becomes a qualitatively different experience. Eventually, it becomes EASY and you can go back and reread the plays you started with and you'll be amazed at how worth it it is.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.