[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Holden Caulfield molested? Throughout the book, Caulfield

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg (371KB, 1089x1600px) Image search: [Google]
catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg
371KB, 1089x1600px
Was Holden Caulfield molested?

Throughout the book, Caulfield seeks to protect the innocence of his younger sister (and all children) as a "Catcher in the Rye." At one point in the book, Antolini has Holden sleep in his underwear, conveniently forgetting to give him pajamas. When Antolini starts laying next to him and stroking his hair (after calling him "handsome") Holden freaks out and leaves his house. He later remarks that he gets uncomfortable with "perverted" things because "that sort of stuff" happened to him "twenty times" as a kid.

To me, this heavily implies Holden was molested as a kid. It explains his distrust of adults, his want to protect his sister's innocence, and his discomfort with the prostitute.

Thoughts? Opinions?
>>
>his want to protect his sister's innocence
Not much of a want seeing as he raped her himself.
>>
Wouldn't the rape turn him into a pervert though? I mean, look at all these homosexuals.
>>
People tend to forget, somehow, that he narrates the entire story to his psychiatrist. On an unrelated note, I think he probably attempted suicide prior to the events of the book.
>>
Why was he in the mental hospital again? Haven't read the book in awhile.
>>
the scene right after with his teacher where he says men have been lusting after him since he was little doesn't leave a lot to interpretation
>>
>>9530178
>tfw ywn know this feel
>>
>>9530186
same
feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>9530084
stop posting this
>>
>>9530093
youre excludign the years homosexuals spend as prudish selfrighteous asexuals before they start getting pinksocked in bathhouses
>>
>>9530893
Suppressing facts doesn't make them untrue.
>>
>>9530080
>>9530178
are you people fucking joking? The reason he freaks out is because this person, the teacher he respects, genuinely shows an interest in Holden and sees through his facade, and Holden flees in horror so he avoids having to be vulnerable and sincere and having his idealized self-image shown to someone else to be exactly that, a front.
The whole fucking book is about Holden struggling after the death of Allie and how he erects this facade of false superiority, indifference, and cynicism. At bottom he's exactly the vulnerable, naive, innocent Phoebe who he protects because she's constitutes the very core of his being and he sees that part of himself in her (inb4 >).
Everything else is just defense mechanisms to avoid being appearing to others as the vulnerable, suffering, insecure hurt faggot that he is, which is why his teacher makes him so uncomfortable because Holden is made aware of his own (perhaps consciously unacknowledged) inadequacies and 'phoniness'.
The point where Holden is made uncomfortable is precisely when they have a discussion about disgressions (various forms of defense machanisms, distractions from the real underlying whatever that lies below the surface) and the teacher insists that addressing the real issues is worthwhile.
Then the teacher says something about 'the great fall' or whatever he images Holden is headed for with his pathological behavior and its precisely this insight that Holden is so afraid of acknowledging, especially coming from someone whom he respects so much, i.e. his favorite teacher.
When the teacher then strokes Holden's hair or whatever it is, I don't remember, Holden is reduced to the status of helpless, vulnerable, needy child (like Phoebe) which marks an utter surrender of his idealized self-image that he so desperately have tried to maintain throughout the book.
Holden remarking that the teacher was hitting on him is clearly just a rationalization, a way to deflect from addressing the core issue, a defense mechanism that keeps him from doing so, because it's very uncomfortable to acknowledge and have to work through.

I can't believe that there are people on a board dedicated to literature, who are so fucking dense. Stop reading, it's not for you
>>
No, his brother killed himself which causes him his angst.

/thread
>>
>>9531574
that's zooey
>>
>>9531580
His brother who died of Leukemia I mean.
>>
>>9531475
yeah but I think that homosexuals who managed to disguise themselves as asexuals were not raped and therefore were saner
>>
>>9531611
>implying people who condemn sexuality and homosexuality arent immediately recognized as the biggest fucking faggots
>>
>>9531617
I'm redpilled, kid. I know what people should be doing and what is virtuous and sinful
>>
File: polgbt.jpg (469KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
polgbt.jpg
469KB, 1280x960px
>>9531629
says the faggot
>>
>>9531617
I think that's because problematic homosexuals tend to project their sexual behavior
>>
>>9531635
I'll suck your dick, see how you like it cunt!
>>
>>9530093
Yeah seriously good example is that stupid faggot milo yainopolus
>>
File: 146yoichielff.jpg (812KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
146yoichielff.jpg
812KB, 800x1067px
>>9531644
said projection is a facade

>>9531647
a lot probably, are you cute?
>>
>>9530080
>>>/r/books
>>
>>9531658
cant rape the willing
>>
>>9531661
Yes. Rim me while jerking me off, faggot
>>
>>9531666
post pics satan
>>
>>9530186
>>9530765

What do u mean? That lots of older men have lusted for you since forever or that you were molested?
>>
My mom says this too. I never got the impression. Then again my mom says this about LITERALLY EVERY BOOK. It's absurd some of the ways she tries to explain how certain characters were molested as children.
>>
>>9531765
your mom was molested
>>
>>9531570
>I can't believe that there are people on a board dedicated to literature, who are so fucking dense
shows what you know about humanity
>>
>>9531805
really makes you think
>>
>>9531570

nice bait real nuance
>>
>>9531570
lol
>>
>>9530093
Not really
t. molested and virgin by choice, probably forever
>>
>>9532560
wasnt your virginity taken, and arent you just in the >>9531475 phase?
>>
>>9531765
yea man your mom got hardcore raped, liked it, and now tries to justify it
>>
File: zizek bath.jpg (107KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
zizek bath.jpg
107KB, 850x850px
>>9531570
good post
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.