[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Byzantine Lit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 2gvms00.png (422KB, 530x357px) Image search: [Google]
2gvms00.png
422KB, 530x357px
Does any good Byzantine lit exist? Or was it all downhill after Constantine? Did they write in Greek or Latin?
>>
Started off using Latin, then gradually over the decades Greek came to dominate and Latin became a bureaucratic relic.
>>
>>9524779
Know any good writers/thinkers?
>>
Digenes Akrites

Anna Komnene

Sphrantzes

There really isn't much, unless you like highly specific things. There might be a lot of minor historians and guys like Sphrantzes, but there are no Dantes or Petrarchs kind of thing.
>>
>>9524782

Have at it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_literature
>>
Everything is extremely obscure apart from the historians, Psellus is great. There probably is a lot of lost material as I understand it the byzantine nobles were pretty /lit/ in stark contrast to westerners at the time and the byzantines maintained all of the greek language works we have today, but when your entire civilization is getting bullied for hundreds of years until you're finally conquered by irreverent muslims its hard to preserve your literature
>>
>>9524788
>>9524792
>>9524815

Thanks guy, I'll check it out. Was there any good philosophers?
>>
>>9524994
Only late antique theologians are available, Psellus wrote philosophy, but I'm not sure if you can get his works or any other byzantine philosopher in english.
We are basically living in the wrong time to be interested in byzantines, they've only recently been rehabilitated in the western mind and all of their achievements have been buried under t*rkish boots. maybe in a few hundred years people will be able to talk about byzantine philosophers but not now
>>
>>9525150
>maybe in a few hundred years people will be able to talk about byzantine philosophers but not now
Why is that? Is there a particular reason why enlightenment thinkers focused on antiquity writers?

Also what if I learn Greek will that make looking through all their stuff more interesting and easier to get?
>>
>>9525165
Not that guy, but they wrote in a different kind of Greek from Ancient Greek, and in different periods used a deliberately classicizing style that is LIKE Ancient Greek, so learning to read Byzantine shit is really fucking hard and not worth it

Greek in general you should only learn if you have an extremely specific reason to be doing so
>>
>>9525165
Many enlightenment thinkers, but it really starts in the renaissance tried to condemn the middle ages as a 1000 year period of darkness in order to create a self fellating identity founded on the idea that they were entirely rational beings and following a tradition that had started in antiquity but was obscured by christendom.
Its obviously not that straight forward at all when you consider that the romans were a pathologically superstitious people who you even find the greeks laughing at and on the other hand the scholastics in the medieval devoted they're entire careers to trying to argue in pure, formal logic.
But the enlightenment slander is still engrained on to peoples mind today. The main reason byzantine culture is so obscure though is probably just that Byzantium diverged from western civilization 'proper' and just kept doing its greek eastern orthodox thing.

I havent read anything other than byzantine histories you can get in mass print paperbacks so I dont really know but I think if you learn modern greek you might be able to learn older versions of greek like byzantine greek because in written styles they used older forms of language and that stopped the quick evolution of vocabulary, I dont know though maybe that makes it more difficult
You could become a first class byzantine scholar and enlighten us
>>
>>9524755
>no inbred trait
Fucking amateurs.
>>
Why did S*rbia steal the Byzantine flag and other shit?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.