[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robert Caro Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 17b45e3.jpg (17KB, 268x400px) Image search: [Google]
17b45e3.jpg
17KB, 268x400px
I finished this book last night. Possibly the most riveting work of literature I've ever read. What do you guys think of Caro?
>>
>>9524174

I just started his Robert Moses book. Great introduction. Very excited about the rest of it. Will definitely read his LBJ books eventually.
>>
>>9524200
Cool, I actually just got the Power Broker in the mail. Its fucking gigantic and I sort of regret not shelling out extra for a hardcover copy.

I think what I loved about The Path to Power is that I have a special affinity for those corrupt, Shakespearean politicians.
>>
>>9524174
>riveting
>>
A book about Lyndon B Johnson is riveting?

Please, elaborate.
>>
>>9524174
Means of Ascent was pretty boring imo
>>
>>9526377
It's riveting in its attention to detail. One of the strengths of Caro is his ability to make his subject come alive. He's known for his very thorough research so his books are dense and long.

But part of what makes this book great is LBJ's machinations. The first book covers the time period between his birth to his election as congressman. I feel this book truly succeeded in conveying the dirty politics of the day and how skilled LBJ was at manipulating others.

Caro said it best. "...if Lyndon Johnson was not a reader of books, he was a reader of men--a reader with a rare ability to see into their souls."

Its just such a treat of a book. I'd even say its probably the greatest modern biography ever written.
>>
>>9526377
LBJ is a great character, like so many other powerful men in the history of American politics.
>>
The chapters discussing life in the Hill country and LBJ's attempt to set-up utilities for the people living there in order to expand his voter base for his first congressional election is some of the best non-fiction prose I've encountered in a while. Caro does his research and evokes the sense of the place and the people's hardships really well.
>>
>>9524174

read The Power Broker earlier this year, was fantastic. In particular the 'One Mile' chapter was phenomenal. Caro can make a time and place from the past come to life. Definitely want to start reading the LBJ books soon.
>>
Thanks for the thread OP. I will certainly read the book. I've read countless of biographies -- hundreds. I recommend The Titan by Chernow. Excellent book on Rockefeller. Please continue to recommend MUST READ biographies in this thread.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.