[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bloomsday

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: DSCF5858.jpg (270KB, 1001x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5858.jpg
270KB, 1001x667px
I ask every year as I go every year: anyone going to Dublin for June 16th?
It's usually pretty nice and people don't quiz you on the book or anything, so it's not like you have to have understood EVERYTHING about it.
>>
>>9521575
While we try to live the dream, anon is living the meme
>>
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i'm heading for the first time, it's gunna be sick. How many people dress up old style?
>>
File: DSC_8457.jpg (396KB, 1024x1546px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_8457.jpg
396KB, 1024x1546px
>>9521610
I usually go to a smallish thing in Sandymount rather than the larger affairs and even there there is plenty of dressup. But it's also still perfectly accepted and ordinary to just show up and hang out without "living the meme."
Dublin's a nice city to visit anyway, though I don't think I'd want to live there.
>>
>>9521575
>be visiting Dublin and taking a tour bus
>the Irish bus driver providing commentary asks over the PA if anybody on board has read Ulysses
>I raise my hand
>"Uh-oh! Best watch out everybody, because PROFESSOR YANK here has read Ulysses"
>"All hail the mighty intellect of PROFESSOR YANK, who has sat down, and yes, read every dense and allegorical page of James Joyce's modernist masterpiece, Ulysses"
>everybody on the bus is now staring at me
>whenever he stops the bus to point out a literary landmark he runs it by me, "the professor"
>"say professor, do ya recognize that building over there?"
>I don't know and shrug
>"Sorry folks, I guess PROFESSOR YANK hasn't done his homework! That building to our right is of course the iconic hotel where Nora Barnacle, James Joyce's muse, worked as a chambermaid for a number of years. Not to worry, I'm sure PROFESSOR YANK will get the next one"
>this continues for an hour and a half
>the Dutch girls in the back of the bus are laughing at me and making fun of the flat cap I bought on Grafton street
>when I finally get off at Kilmainham Gaol the entire bus cheers
>as he's closing the doors, the driver says over the intercom "See you next term, PROFESSOR YANK"
Thanks /lit/
>>
>>9521575
Stephen Dedalus would hate that many semites in Dublin.
>>
>>9521575
I'm going, but I only live across the country so it's no biggie for me. Anyone wanna meet up?
>>
>>9521673
Fuckin' retard, if there's anything I've learned from literally any situation, if you raise your hand you will be put in a shitty spotlight .
>>
>>9521673
I honestly think I'd have stood up and called that guy an asshole if I had been on that bus and he did that to someone else. No fucking tour guide should ever try to raise himself over people because he's memorised a few bits of trivia.
>>
Nobody here actually reads Joyce
>>
File: 1478618471012.jpg (54KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1478618471012.jpg
54KB, 633x758px
>>9521673

Similar thing happened to be in a History of Western Literature Course at uni. Every time we'd discuss a new piece of literature, the professor would ask who in the course was familiar with it before class, and he eventually noticed I raised my hand for everything. He was first impressed, but then he eventually started making fun of me when he moved on from the greeks and I was less knowledgeable about the reading material.

I ended up failing, and because I needed that humanities credit, I took a children's lit course to make up for it and read Harry Potter and I passed that course but only barely.

This is what happens when I fall for the "start with the Greeks" meme. Thanks, /lit/.
>>
That seems cringey and stupid to me.

I will be doing my annual June reading of Ulysses though
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.