[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>that moment you realize he was right

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

>that moment you realize he was right
>>
File: 3242334123.jpg (13KB, 352x245px) Image search: [Google]
3242334123.jpg
13KB, 352x245px
*blocks your path*
>>
I mean, having a functional government is pretty great, yeah. I don't think it needs absolute power for that though.
>>
>>9516472
Authority isn't the only thing he wrote about
>>
>>9516523
Yeah, well, hard determinism isn't really my thing either.
>>
File: leviathan.jpg (223KB, 1000x632px) Image search: [Google]
leviathan.jpg
223KB, 1000x632px
>>9516472
>>9516523
>>9516558
His most important and profound idea, in my opinion, is the state of nature. No other philosopher I've read has managed to actually explain well WHY people live in a society at all.

Also his ideas on liberty are also very important, because they are necessarily tied to the whole social contract thing. We agree to a certain level of imposition on our freedoms in return for protection from the state.

>>9516471
(((Spinoza)))
>>
Ya wanna specify a bit
>>
>>9516907
I cucked your mom.
>>
>>9516920
Why would Hobbes be talking about that
>>
>>9516926

It's the intellectual's fetish
>>
>>9516928
Ya, but you said he was right about you cucking my mom. I hope you're happy with my father at least. Neither of you make much sense.
>>
I believe Hobbes is just Rousseau in a dark mirror. Or maybe it was the other way around
>>
>>9516933

>implying that's your real dad

Honey, we have to talk
>>
>>9516943

Blowing my mind dude
>>
>>9516899
>No other philosopher I've read has managed to actually explain well WHY people live in a society at all.
Is a nonbiological answer really necessary? Serious question.
>>
>>9516899
> No other philosopher I've read has managed to actually explain well WHY people live in a society at all.

Try reading mutual aid by Kropotkin, hell even approaching it from an evolutonary standpoint will give you an answer that isnt immediately debunked by anthropology and human history (which even in his own day arguably provided sufficient proof against).

The idea of a war of all against all existing in the absence of a state is something that tends to be limited to periods of war or conlfict where existing hierarchies are rapidly destroyed and leave vacuums.
>>
>>9516899
>No other philosopher I've read has managed to actually explain well WHY people live in a society at all
What about Locke and Nozick?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.