[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A hundret years of solitude

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: 9788497592208.jpg (314KB, 502x768px) Image search: [Google]
9788497592208.jpg
314KB, 502x768px
I'm a big fan of realist and naturalist movements, but hate most of modern literature and especially post-modern. Do you think I would find this novel interesting? Is Marquez a good writer in general? On a side note, I'm torn between learning Spanish and French so if I happen to go for the former I had better wait till I can read it it Spanish, I think.
>>
>>9515526
Fucking tabet!
>*hundred
>>
>>9515526
>Is Marquez a good writer in general?
No, they just gave him the Nobel Prize cuz he sucked off the committee
>>
>>9515553
Nobel Prize doesn't mean shit these days.
>>
I didn't care for it. I just couldn't keep up. Starts off pretty good, funny, very inventive. After a while though I just could not keep track of all the goddamn characters.
>>
>>9515526
havent read it in a while, since hs, but thought it was dope. why not read borges
>>
>>9515526
It's a good book. It feels like someone sitting you down and telling you a story. Sometimes they sneak in fantastical bullshit, but it's good enough that you enjoy it. There are loads of characters, and many of them with the same name, so that's something that you'll need to get used to. I've read it three times now and enjoyed it in all occasions.

I've only read the English translation, but my mom, a Spanish speaking native, has read it in both English and Spanish. She told me she prefers the former, so take that as you will.
>>
>>9515526
I love it. Beautifully written. Very comfy. Most satisfying ending of any book I've ever read, along with Ulysses. Read it in 3 sittings.
>>
>>9515618
Kek, how can one prefer translation over original? It definitely sounds new to me. However, how come your mom is a native of Spanish, but you yourself can't speak it?
>>
>>9515526
Not gonna lie, i did enjoy cien años, but i was 17 and read it mostly to jack off. Tried to re-read it some years after having finished Don Quijote; but everything felt pointless and cheap. Like it's really obvious Marquez aims for grandiloquency but falls on his ass.

I think Borges and Cortázar are what you're looking for.
>>
>>9515678

some kant scholars prefer to read his first critique in translation because his german is that obscure.
>>
>>9515849
Then they are no scholars, mate.
>>
A beaner book for beaners.
>>
>>9515587
Good thing he didn't get it these days
>>
>>9516263
but camus and solzhenitsyn won it before him
>>
>>9516263
But can we agree on the sucking off the committee part at least? I mean chances are he really did suck some dicks in the past, let's not pretend it never happened, ok?
>>
Guys not sucking a cock for a nobel prize are simply pathetic! HAD I BEEN A WOMAN I WOULD'VE NEVER EVER LET THEM TOUCH MY PUSS COZ ITS IGNORANT AND RACIST DISGUSTING!!!
>>
Whitebois' literature is lame and can't compete with the Tyrone I had sex with last nite. Forbid them from breeding for they are weak and creepy!
>>
>>9515678
Marquez even admitted at one time that he actually preferred the English translations of his books over the native language.
>>
>>9515823
>Cortazar

His short stories are good, but Hopscotch was absolute fucking garbage.
>>
>>9516641
>Marquez
>white
>>
>>9515881
German scholars have admitted that the English translations are easier to read than the original German.
>>
>>9516641
lmao gtfo /pol/

shadilay
>>
>>9515526
I've studied spanish for two years now (in a uni course, so not immersed or anything) and found some excerpts I read to be extremely difficult -- it will be a long time before you can read Cien Anos in spanish. Think of it like asking how long it would take someone who doesn't know english to read Melville -- pues wey, hablo bastante bien y todavía no sé si sería mejor leerlo ahora en inglés o más tarde en español, y por eso si no quisieras esperar por al menos un año, deberías leerlo ahora en inglés.
>>
>>9516670
When was that? Could you share link?
>>
>>9516679
I need facts not your words.
>>
I am Colombian. It is pretty good. I am sure he did suck some dick. Some other anon told he was trying to be grandiloquent, thats exactlly what my retarded snob uncle described him. I have read a lot of his novel and i can say that he is very honest, but if you really dont liked this book you can always read "El amor en loss tiempos del colera" its litterally tfw no gf.
>>
>>9516713
<A thousand asses
Man, you gotta work on your spanish
>>
>>9516728
From Gregory Rabassa's wiki page:

"...On the advice of Cortázar, García Márquez waited three years for Rabassa to schedule translating One Hundred Years of Solitude. He later declared Rabassa's translation to be superior to the Spanish original."
>>
>>9516736
>you can always read "El amor en loss tiempos del colera" its litterally tfw no gf.
This brought eyes to my tears, brothers.
>>
>>9516750
Did he at least know some colloquial English to begin with, I wonder? It sounds gay and stupid even if he realy said so.
>>
Why do you hate modern literature, especially post-modern?
Do you really think there is nothing to offer?
>>
>>9515597
>After a while though I just could not keep track of all the goddamn characters.
When will this meme end?
I read it when i was just starting to get into literature and the number of characters was never a problem. Is it so hard to pick up your phone and look up the familiy tree on the internet?
>>
>>9516787
Because it's shit and for me impossible to like and god knows I tried
>>
>>9516743
>Mistaking a hundred for a thousand
You better work on your spanish/english, friendo
Also, he probably saide Anos because he doesn´t have the "ñ" on his keyboard
>>
>>9516811
But he has ñs later in his post
>>
>>9515678
>how can one prefer translation over original?
Different strokes for different folks.
>how come your mom is a native of Spanish, but you yourself can't speak it?
Now where did I say that I can't speak Spanish? I just haven't had a chance to read it in Spanish.
>>
>>9516368
homosexuakity is the littest sexual orientation
>>
>>9516821
In which case I strongly advise that you go back. No offence, filthy beaner.
>>
there's literally a chapter in this book where a grown up man married a loli but the little girl dies because of the rough sex.
>¿Estas seguro que te gusta ella? ¿no querrás mejor a una de mis hijas mayores?
>>
>>9516858
It's settled. I'm reading this NOW!
>>
>>9516842
>implying I'm in the US
Oh anon, you little cutie. You know what they say about assuming.
>>
>>9516858
>>9516868
And that's like chapter two or three. It has 20 chapters.
>>
>>9516870
Where are you from then? Amazon?
>>
>>9516885
Born in Canada, so I'm a leaf. If you keep asking questions, I expect you to pay for dinner, and let me tell you, I'm not a cheap guy.
>>
Fuck it, guys! I've just found out that Marquez supported Fidel Castro, the mass murderer. Why do all beaners have to be such commies? I guess it's best if I learn French instead.
>>
>>9516670
why do you call him Mrquez? that's his second last name. Call him García
>>
>>9516675
>but Hopscotch was absolute fucking garbage.
You are the first person who agrees with me in that.

Historias de cronopios y famas is a masterpiece tho.
>>
>>9516981
Their political opinions doesn't reflect in their books. Another latin american writer called Mario Vargas Llosa now supports right wing goverments but that's not a valid reason to not to read him.

It's really sad if you miss out cien años de soledad which is a great story just because the author didn't stand your political opinion.
>>
>>9515526
It has a very unique feel that you don't get with other books. It's warm and dusty and hazy. You'll like it.
>>
>>9516670
I've heard that said by a number of writers.

I think part of it comes from the fact that is distanced from their own work, so they can appreciate it as a reader rather than author
>>
>>9515526
>Realist and naturalist
If you've already exhausted those particular avenues - Maupassant, Huysmans, Zola, and so on, why not give something else a shot?
>>
>>9518055
Hopscotch was an experimental book that blew out of proportion. The subject is rather mundane but what it is really interesting is how he narrates the whole thing. I didnt buy the whole "read in any order you want" thing. There are passages that are really interesting/well written but other than that is just julio talking about silly stuff in a really interesting way.

The Pursuer and his other short stories though, those are really interesting.
>>
>>9518176
I know, right?

Read his lectures on writting on the university of Berkeley (Clases de Literatura: Berkeley, 1980), he talks about how it's harder to write short stories than a novel because one it's closed and the other is open. It's really interesting that he also comments how pedant are some parts in Rayuela.
>>
>>9517081
Too common.
>>
>>9515823
>i did enjoy cien años, but i was 17

I had the same experience going back to read it and Love in the time of Cholera again.

What got me was the thick vein of unalloyed sentimentality. Love in the Time of Cholera was mawkish by early 19th century standards.

Btw, I'm pretty sure the "spanish authors preferring the english translation of their works", (attributed to borges too), meme is due to them wanting their books to sell, as the english language literary fiction market is much much larger.
>>
>>9518941
But is Love in the times of Cholera better than his other works? I just don't wish to be disappointed.
>>
>>9518951
I would rate A hundred years above love in the time of Cholera, but at least a wikipedia-level knowledge of Columbian history really makes it, (a hundred years of solitude) better.

Love in the time of Cholera is just a sentimental romance.
>>
>>9519777
>Love in the Time of Cholera is just a sentimental romance

What a gross misreading. It's a satire.

>>9518951
Love in the Time of Cholera is the best thing Marquez ever wrote.
>>
>>9519777
>Columbian
TRIGGERED
>>
>>9515526
>hate most of modern literature
Kill you are self, modernism is when literature got good again after two centuries of mostly garbage. Hundred Years of Solitude is a bad book though.
>>
>>9515526
Well, Garcia Marquez praised the Gregory Rabassa's translation and it's the only English translation he authorized, so I think you'll be fine.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.