[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some advice with this sentence. Can you please advise a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: confused.jpg (37KB, 630x328px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
37KB, 630x328px
Need some advice with this sentence. Can you please advise a more elegant way of phrasing this sentiment, or does it sound okay as is?:

"We share nearly a third of our life with whom we work."

Grammar, I think, is fine. Just sounds a bit funny.
>>
>>9510218
We share nearly a third of our lives with colleagues.

>another third sleeping
>final third on-line i.e. dreaming
>>
>>9510305
>with colleagues
rather, with coworkers.
>>
>>9510327
>>9510305
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!
>>
>>9510218

You should say 'lives' instead of 'life', since the head (pro)noun 'our' is plural.
Also, the prepositional phrase at the end is talking about people, and 'whom we work' is not grammatical. To keep those words, you would need to say 'We share nearly a third of our lives with people with whom we work'.
This is awkward though, and 'with colleagues' >>9510305 or 'with coworkers' >>9510327 would flow better.
Also it's really nearly a fourth, not a third
>>
>>9510218
Take out the "we" and make it personal to you or a direct pronoun.

Here are some useless stabs:
>A third. we spend a third of our lives we do what with all the business and sitting and writing and working. I spend a third of my life in the offices and away from her. Another third slumped away in bed, facing the wall and not her. Not her no .
>>
>>9511670
Vomit
>>
>>9511670
Nigga what
>>
>>9510218
I think this is correct:
"We share nearly a third of our life with those with whom we work."
>>
I'd say the "nearly" is superfluous here. Can't really offer much more than that without context though.
>>
>>9511670
that's awful, friendo
>>
>>9510218

I am doing so much more massive damage to your portfolios than you are doing to my morale. I will drive your circus show into the ground, mark my words.
>>
>>9510218
Almost* one third of life is shed among associates.

*Optional. I don't see the significance of making it less.
>>
>>9512003
I like 'shed,' but 'associates' may be too general unless the work, unspecified, is 'business'. Not op.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.