[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much Gene Wolfe have you read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
How much Gene Wolfe have you read?
>>
I've read BoTNS and Urth, making my way through Long Sun at the moment. Wolfe is fantastic.
>>
Some short stories plus almost all of Fifth Head of Cerberus. BotNS, Soldier in the Mist and Wizard Knight are waiting on my bookshelves.
>>
>>9509426
New, Long, Short, Urth
Wizard Knight
Best of shorts
Fifth Head of Cerberus
Innocents Abroad
Borrowed Man
There are Doors
Sorcerer's House
The Land Across

That's it I think, may have missed something.
>>
Nearly finished BoTNS. Where do I go after that?
>>
>>9509426
Most.
>>9509680
Long (which isn't as good), then Short (which is).
>>
>>9509426

How are the Chronicles of Amber? Reading the plot of the first book now on wikipedia and it sounds like he's ripping off Marvel's Inhumans quite a lot.
>>
>>9509583
...OK, finished Fifth Head now. I'll read it again at some point, but while it's fresh in my head... What's on the tape the commandant figure throws away at the end? It rings a bell, but I can't recall where the text referred to a missing tape.
>>
>>9509876
>Long (which isn't as good)
You best be trollin' nigga
>>9511069
Amber was written first
>>
>>9509426

Just BotNS. I will read UotNS soon and then maybe proceed with Long and Short.
>>
>>9509426
>the shittiest edition of BOTS
>>
>>9509426
I've read The Wizard Knight. I'm reading Latro in the Mist right now.
>>
>>9509671
Yeah, Latro in the Mist, the best stuff he ever wrote
>>
>>9511981
I'm quite certain the single volume action severian is worse.
>>
>>9509426
The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Peace, The Devil In A Forest, Book of the New Sun and a significant pile of his short fiction. I like that Book of the New Sun is a meme because it brings him so much attention here but I also think that The Fifth Head of Cerberus is absolutely incredible and should be considered the entry point into Wolfe's work.

I don't think that it's implied at any point that that particular tape which the commandant finds at the end and discards is more significant than any other. I don't think that it matters what was on it. It's purpose seems to me to be to reinforce how disinterested he was in his investigation. I think that it's a very strong middle finger to anybody who had grown to sympathize with Marsch's plight and by extension that of the entire planet. Nobody will ever grow or learn on Sainte Croix because nobody there is willing to tolerate or even bother with anything outside of what they know, and whether they even truly understand what they think they know is very doubtful.
>>
>>9511299
Linking you to >>9513595 just because I somehow screwed up the reply.
>>
>>9513595
Ah, cool. I seemed to remember a reference to something missing, but looking back I can't see it- might just have been one of the parts where an interview tape suddenly ended.

Excellent book, looking forward to a second reading at some point. Feels like it's possible to come up with a better-informed picture of what happened to Marsch, but probably not a truly decisive one- there's a lot that seems purposefully ambiguous.
>>
>>9513659
It might seem ambiguous on a first reading but if you look super close and read some analysis you'll probably find more answers than you expect. Marc Aramini even goes as far as to say that there's no uncertainty to the story and that the answers to all of the mysteries presented can be inferred from a thorough enough reading. Having read everything he's written on the subject I'm inclined to agree.

I'd probably recommend a second reading of your own before going all the way into the analysis. You need to understand what exactly the relevant pieces are before you can go and put them all together.
>>
>>9512395
I just didn't read it. I've read what I feel is enough for now, there's more stuff to read.
I did read The New Sun three times and Fifth Head twice tho
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.