[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Shakespeare the first person to use the forbidden lovers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1492136180528.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
1492136180528.gif
2MB, 460x259px
Was Shakespeare the first person to use the forbidden lovers trope, or was he just the first person to do it well and popularize it? No way he was the first person to think of something like Romeo and Juliet.
>>
>>9503416
romeo and juliette was literally stolen from pre-existing Italian plays you dense luddite
>>
Forbidden love is as old as writting itself.
>>
>>9503424
Hey man, you seem stressed, so I just want to tell you that I love you.
>>
>No way he was the first person to think of something like Romeo and Juliet.
You are one smart fella
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramus_and_thisbe
>>
>>9503416
Practically none of his stories are original.
That's why you don't read him for the plot. You read Dante for the plot.
>>
>what are
>Pygmalion and Galatea
>Orpheus and Eurydice
>Oedipus and his mom

It's like you never read Greek myths in highschool English
>>
>>9503477
>Oedipus as an example of forbidden love in the style of Romeo and Juliet
Anon you didn't read Sophocles.
>>
>>9503477
>Oedipus
nothing was keeping that nigga from fucking his mom. He's the one who made the decision to stab his goddamn eyes out. He didn't have to do that.
>>
>>9503477
>English
>reading GREEK myths
>>
>>9503416

Romeo and Juliet is basically an adaptation of the ancient Greek myth Pyramus and Thisbe. Has the same story of the parents forbidding them to wed, ends with a mistaken suicide and then the other commits suicide too.

Even in English literature what about Lancelot/Guinevere from the grail myths? they go back hundreds of years before Shakespeare
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.