[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who do you regard as the greatest extensionalist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.png (348KB, 1301x477px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
348KB, 1301x477px
>>
>>9502186
Nietzsche and Dostoyevsky as a tag teaming combo.
>>
Neet
Heidi
Keerk
>>
Heidegger for me. Nietzsche never resonated with me.
>>
>>9502186
Sartre or Camus.

Kierkegaard is fairly obsure for aesthetic reasons.
Heidegger also because of his particular conception of knowledge.
Nietzsche is one of those that seem crystal-clear but easily misinterpreted.

None of those worried much about doing extension. Sartre was present in many conferences in which he explained existentialist to the laymen. Camus wrote accessible essays with a philosophical spice.
I would say Sartre, because he seemed more active in taking existentialism to the public.
>>
def kierk
>>
>>9502186
Gabriel Marcel
>>
Wait is Kierkegaard worth reading? I thought he was just a Christian existentialist. Is there more to it? I'm not entirely opposed to reading Christian philosophy but I started Fear and Trembling and realized I'm nowhere near as bothered by the binding of isaac as he was
>>
>>9502368
Also to add to this what's the prerequisite reading for the existentialists (if there is any)? I'm reading through Plato's dialogues now
>>
>>9502368
>I'm nowhere near as bothered by the binding of Isaac as he was

I'm curious. Could you go into detail? Are you more or less religious than Kierkegaard?
>>
Me, cause my cock can stretch for miles, son!
>>
>>9502216
This.
>>
Why do so many regard Sartre as a hack?
>>
>>9502186
academically, Heidegger or Nietzsche.
>>
>>9502462
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre#Criticism

While I still regard Heidegger's criticism to be the most important, you know you're doing it wrong when you managed to get criticized for your commie ways AND by a Herbert Marcuse.

Sartre makes for a good punching bag.
>>
>>9502462
Probably because he remained a communist well after it was cool. He defended the USSR when it was clear what kind of atrocities they were up to.
>>
>>9502186
>extensionalist
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>9502186
Nausea resonates with me in a way that other works within existentialism don't.
>>
>>9502186
Nietzsche
>>
>>9502186
Nietzsche>Kierkegaard>Heidegger>Camus>Sartre
Tbh.
>>
>implying existentialism is a real thing and isn't just some bullshit phrase Sartre created so he could group himself among philosophers who actually possessed wisdom and genius
>>
File: kierkegaard1.jpg (450KB, 1661x2168px) Image search: [Google]
kierkegaard1.jpg
450KB, 1661x2168px
Kierkegaard is the OG in my opinion, also does anybody else have a strong emotional connection to these men? When I read Plato or any of the Greeks, I just nod my head in agreement but when I read Nietzsche and Kierkegaard, I feel an empathy and strong emotional connection with them and how they feel.

This is the faggiest thing ever, but I know at least one of you feel the same.
>>
>>9503677
When I read Nietzsche I feel unbelievably pissed off. I also feel that I am supposed to be pissed off.
>>
>>9502462
Because he was a angry, bitter little manlet.
>>
>>9503632
>Satre coined the term "existentialism".
>>
>>9503677
Fuck yeah. I get this with Montaigne as well.
>>
>>9502368
>Wait is Kierkegaard worth reading?
Please tell me this is bait. It can't be true that retards like this browse /lit/...
>>
>>9503677
I love Kierkegaard like a brother. No joke
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 653x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 653x1024px
>>9503677
Kierkeretard pretty much saved my life desu
>>
Why are the works of Schopenhauer and Nietzsche so popular, while the more realistic/practical solution to the human condition from Ernest Becker is largely ignored? I mean his concept of 'genuine heroism' as a solution to the existential crisis seems a lot more plausible and commonly practiced compared to negation of your own will or (temporarily) becoming an übermensch.
>>
>>9503677
I've wanted to get into kierkregaard for a while now although I know his works build onto each other. So my question is which one of his works should I start with in order to understand his other works
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-14+at+12.52.27).jpg (44KB, 304x464px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-14+at+12.52.27).jpg
44KB, 304x464px
>>9503677
>>9504091
I too love these men like they're my brothers
>>
>>9502368
>Just a christian existentialist.
>Just a christian
>Just
>JUST
>JUSTTT

If you discount someone's philosophy just because of a religious stance then you're a pseud.
>>
Maurice Merleau-Ponty is underrated
>>
>>9502186
I've only read Camus and I hope it isn't him.
>>
File: Albert-Camus-3.jpg (88KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
Albert-Camus-3.jpg
88KB, 620x372px
I am not an existentialist. Sartre and I are always surprised to see our names linked.
>>
>>9502186
Elias Capriles
>>
>>9502379
>what's the prerequisite reading for the existentialists
Not being a faggot
>>
>>9502339
Not to be that dude, but this is incredibly silly. Sartre and Camus are babies first existentialists, the other three are actual philosophical existentialists.
>>
>>9502200
>Dostoevsky
>Existentialist
He wrote about existentialist nihilism but was greatly critical of the entire concept
>>
>>9502368
>I thought he was just a Christian existentialist
You do realize that existentialism is a Christian philosophical school? It was set up as a foil to the supra-rational philosophers. Descartes vs. Pascal, Voltaire vs. Vico, Rosseau/Locke vs. Herder, Kant vs. Hamann, Kierkegaard vs. Hegel. Later existentialists introduced atheistic tendencies but it is through and through a Christian school of thought.
>>
>>9507238
he said extensionalist
>>
>>9507261
He was an extensionalist, stop pretending he wasn't.
>>
Will Heidegger offer me anything that Taoism/Buddhism won't? Just reading a bit about his work, it seems to me his dasein, being-in-the-world, and thoughts on authenticity are reinterpreted elements of wu wei and Zen thought.
>>
>>9507238
Camus was an absurdist though
>>
>>9507261
>existentialist nihilism

Confirmed for never reading any of either
>>
>>9502186
Quine was the greatest extensionalist. Closely followed by Frege.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.