[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On the applied practice of Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 87623543286453295.jpg (2KB, 102x123px) Image search: [Google]
87623543286453295.jpg
2KB, 102x123px
Hello /lit/

Many times I've seen people reference philosophy on this site, but few times do I believe these same people know how to practice their own philosophy. I think that it actually may be difficult for some people, and still we tell them to 'start with the Greeks'. But how can they if they don't understand the basis?

ITT: I will tell how to actual practice and understanding of philosophy, instead of the discussion of it, is in fact a practical skill and not just a theoretical one.

I urge you to practice your philosophy: virtue is not just a theoretical knowledge. It is practical, like both medical and musical knowledge. The doctor and the musician must each not only learn the principles of his own skill but to be trained to act according to those principles. Likewise, the man who wants to be good must not only learn the lessons which pertain to virtue but train himself to follow them eagerly and rigorously.
>>
>>9495290
I'm pretty sure everyone of the Christians here that are obsessed with Plato's Phaedo are grateful they don't apply themselves too judiciously.
>>
>philosophy
>useful

I do not believe you.
>>
>>9495290

Could someone acquire instant self control by merely knowing that he must not be conquered by pleasures but without training to resist them? Could someone become just by learning that he must love moderation but without practicing the avoidance of excess? Could we acquire courage by realizing that things which seem terrible to most people are not to be feared but without practicing being fearless toward them? Could we become wise by recognizing what things are truly good and what things are bad but without having been trained to look down upon things which seem to be good?
Therefore practicing each virtue always must follow learning the lessons to appropriate it, or it is just pointless for us to learn about it. The person who claims to be studying philosophy must practice it even more diligently than he person who aspires to the art of medicine or some similar skill, inasmuch as philosophy is more important and harder to grasp than any other pursuit. People who study skills other than philosophy have not been previously corrupted in their souls by learning things contrary to what they are about to learn, but people who attempt to study philosophy, since they have been already in the midst of much corruption and are filled will evil, pursue virtue in such a condition that they need even more practice in it.
>>
>>9495315

How, then, and in what way must they be trained? Since a human happens to be neither soul alone nor body alone, but a composite of these two things, someone in training must pay attention to both. He should, rightly, pay more attention to the better part, namely the soul, but he should also take care of the other part, or part of him will become defective. The philosopher's body must also be well prepared for work because often virtues use it as a necessary tool for the activities of life. One type of training would be appropriate only for the soul, and another would be appropriate both both soul and body, We will train both soul and body when we accustom ourselves to cold, heat, thirst, hunger, scarcity of food, hardness of bed, abstaining from pleasures, and enduring pains.
Through these methods and others like them, the body is strengthened, becomes inured to suffering ,and strong and fit for every task; the soul is strengthened as it is trained for courage by enduring hardships and trained for self control by abstaining from pleasures. The first step in the proper training of the soul is to keep handy the proofs showing that things which seem to be good are not good, and that things which seem to be bad are not bad, and to become accustomed to recognizing things that are truly good and distingusing them from things that are not. THe next tstep is to be careful neither to flee for the things that are only seem to be bad nor to pursue things that only seem to be good, and then to avoid by all means things that are truly evil and in very way strive to attain things that are truly good.
>>
>>9495290

Any questions? I'm about to end the piece and I want to know if anyone has any questions about practical philosophy.
>>
>>9495357
So mutch effort and so mutch result, sad. Whats the practicality of writing all of this to just be ignored.
>>
>>9495481

I actually don't mind. /lit/ is a slow board.
>>
>>9495481
Go away, SoCrates.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.