[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Russian literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 9780140027754-uk-300.jpg (32KB, 300x498px) Image search: [Google]
9780140027754-uk-300.jpg
32KB, 300x498px
Why is it so awesome?
>>
>quiet flows the don

underrated
>>
>>9494010
I unironically think it's better than War and Peace.
And I was surprised how Sholokhov is frank about excesses of communists too, given how he was communist. Also surprised Stalin allowed him to publish this.
>>
>>9494026
I heard that sholokov didn't even write it
>>
>>9494001
>Why is it so awesome?
Because you're a Western contrarian and you see something exotic in the Russian shithole.
That being said they have several great authors, but not more or better than any other big European country.
>>
>>9494056
I'm actually a Slav.
>>9494034
Yeah, it's possible. But it doesn't matter, it's a great work.
>>
>>9494056
more than italy
>>
>>9494065
>I'm actually a Slav.
That means nothing.
>>
Oh and name one American work that compares with Russian classics.
As you can see it's absolutely possible to be a great country yet lack in culture. It's clearly not about numbers and wealth.
>>
>>9494001
It's not
t. Russian
>>
>>9494078
No, it means you were wrong, I'm not Western and I'm not idolizing Russia, I just find that Russian literature is great.
>>
>>9494080
moby dick
>>
>>9494080
Ever heard of Faulkner, perchance?
>>
>>9494089
Perhaps, I liked it very much. But there's very very few American novels that stand out.
>>
>>9494093
Overrated in my opinion.
>>
>>9494098
Steinbeck?
У aмepикaнцeв имeннo cвoя литepaтypa пoявилacь ближe к иcхoдy мoдepнa, тaк чтo ты изнaчaльнo вoпpoc глyпo пocтaвил. Moнyмeнтaльныe пpocтыни к тoмy вpeмeни yжe тoлкoм нe пиcaли и cpeдcтвa выpaзитeльнocти cмecтилиcь в coвepшeннo дpyгyю cтopoнy - cpaвни, нaпpимep, пocлeвoeнных oтeчecтвeнных и aмepикaнcких aвтopoв
>>
>>9494001
>>9494026
Picked this up a while ago on a whim as I live overlooking the river Don, Yorkshire.
Can you convince me to start it?
>>
>>9494098
>>9494111
A бoльшaя чacть нaших - Цoй-tier эпигoнcтвo. Eщё Cтeндaль c Зaхep-Maзoхoм пoтeшaлиcь нaд вoннaби-aнгличaнaми/фpaнцyзaми c 50-лeтним лaгoм
>>
>>9494111
Didn't read any post-war Russian authors to be honest, besides Solzhenitsyn.
If I understood you correctly. I'm not Russian, as I said, I'm a Serb.
>>9494116
Grittier War and Peace, more tragic. Incredible and realistic description of Don region and Don Cossack culture, you'll feel like you're there. It's long as fuck but worth it, once you start you'll finish it in a few days.
There are some scenes that will make you drop jaw.
>>
>>9494080
The recognitions
A smugglers bible
>>
>>9494116
The first 120 pages are the comfiest description of traditional village life ever.
And after that it's time for the War, the Revolution and the Civil War. All of which are amazing in their own right.
>>
While I do think every country has its special literature I also find Russia's 18th and 19th century to be extraordinary. Them turning into a full blown nation while still having the untamed Caucasus region which they went full zerg on for territory all the way to the middle east.

Reading about pushkin, turgenev, and lermontov all exploring all these untamed regions of Russia, oftentimes in exile or even in wartime fighting the natives is amazing. They lived in a time of romance as well as adventure, when anything seemed possible for a Russian man of means.

Also you really can't beat the stories of the landowners and peasants in their dachas and all the conflict russia had by having glorified slaves longer then anyone else. I think it really was a perfect writing environment for 200 years or so.
>>
>>9494127
Sorry about switching to Russian then. Yes, you were correct
I also stated the fact that most of the classical Russian lit and culture is epigonous to the West (namely, French and English) with a ~50-year lag
>>
>>9494161
>>9494127
Thanks, I'll start it in the morning
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.