[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you write a fight scene? Brief or long with detail?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: W05.png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
W05.png
363KB, 5000x5000px
How do you write a fight scene?

Brief or long with detail?
>>
how do you want to write it?
>>
>>9491622
>get in a fight irl
>recollect how it went about
>write about it

Don't tell me you've never been in a fist fight before, faggot.
>>
>>9491624
It's a bar fight, I don't know if I just want to write a paragraph detailing what happened or if I should make into a big event in the story.

>>9491625
I haven't.
>>
>>9491628
>It's a bar fight, I don't know if I just want to write a paragraph detailing what happened or if I should make into a big event in the story.

You realize it's up to you, right?
>>
Unhelpful little turds.

Here, I'll lay it down like this: Is it through the eyes of a nearby spectator? If so, you'll probably want to lay it out more than 1 2 3, fight's over. Mention where the blow lands, some reaction with your action, but not in every single swing because then it's autistic.
Is it from the eyes of one of the fighters? Then you might want to give the fight a bit of a blur effect. Less details, especially when it gets heated. Or if it's from a storyteller's perspective, then you'll want to flesh out the scene a bit before they actually charge in. But not too much, remember, readers don't give a fuck about how deep their angry eyes look. The fighters probably aren't even noticing that shit, unlike what movies try to tell you.
>>
File: 1489653624947.png (31KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
1489653624947.png
31KB, 720x644px
>>9491654
Thanks anon, I'll take this advice without hesitation.
>>
>>9491662

good plan. Always best to take the very shaky advice from an unknown on the internet than thinking for yourself.
>>
>>9491654
Same guy.
My personal word of thumb is this: If the fight has already commenced, do not write too much details, because remember, the scene is, in essence, moving. They are charging, they are swinging, and therefore if you take more than a couple medium-size sentences to describe the first six seconds, you are slowing the fight down and it can look rather annoying to the reader.

I've decided to share with you the best written(in my opinion) fight scene I've read. Maybe you'll like it too.

"As if in response, from the ground in their midst came an earsplitting, heart-exploding roar, a war scream that was equal parts anger and mirth, triumph and savagery. Ascending with it, equally fast, came its source.
The flickering shadows of the midsummer noon only illuminated part of the man-monster, a hideous mountain of snarling claws, tusks, and muscles wrapped in hidelike armor, both worn on his body and, worse, an intrinsic part of it. The beast was whetting two gleaming blades, one against the other. As it reached its full height it threw back its head and laughed uproariously, a sound even more gruesome than its initial roar.
To a one the horses reared, screaming, tossing and trampling their shocked riders in their fright. A maelstrom of panicking horseflesh swirled in the windy meadow, a few resorting to rolling on the ground or bucking the soldiers off like stinging flies, amid the shouts and cries of terror.
After a few initial seconds of snorting misdirection the animals broke free and dashed off, in a loose, frightened herd, to the west. One unlucky soldier, unable to disengage from his stirrups, was dragged along with them, his screams echoing for only a moment, choking off abruptly before the horses were out of sight.
"I think it's a unanimous yes."
Karvolt, who had managed to rise to one knee after disengaging from his fleeing mount, turned slowly and looked behind him, panting.
Coming toward him was what appeared to be a moving slice of the night. As it got closer he would make out that it was man, swathed in a cloak with a deep, veiled hood, whispering across the field like an ill wind, coming his way unhurriedly. Karvolt scrambled backward over the broken body of one of his men, grasping at the hilt of his weapon with a shaking, sweaty hand.
He glanced quickly over his shoulder and then ahead again, judging the distance of the fallen saddlebags behind to be just a few paces too far to serve as cover. Off to his left he could hear the sickening ring of metal and the subsequent thudding of falling heads and bodies as the giant lopped away, still laughing loud.
Karvolt backed away, trembling, struggling to hang on to his composure and balance. Around him, men who had lost the fight against panic were bolting, only to be decapitated or impaled with something thrown by the chuckling giant. In his darkest nightmares, and all his bloody campaigns with the Wind of Death, he could...
>>
go work out in a mma or boxing gym for a couple months if you want to write fight scenes, otherwise it's gonna be like some wacky shit
>>
>>9491654
...never have imagined this. He rose to an unsteady stance and drew.
\\\\\\\\The other soldiers, some motionless in injury, others in fear, were bringing forth their weapons as well. Karvolt limped slowly back, his eyes all the while on the moving shadow, its cloak dancing smoothly in the warm wind.
\\\\\\\\The man was coming rapidly, fluidly, stopping before each of the fallen soldiers, swiftly removing their weapons from their hands, deflecting their final charges, with a patient, almost professional air. Though he knew they were attacking to the best of their remaining ability, it seemed to Karvolt that the soldiers were almost handing over their weapons to him. The shadow-man moved faster than his strained eyes could follow, slitting a throat, inserting a dagger into an ear, respectfully, almost kindly.
\\\\\\\\He passed between each of the remaining soldiers on the ground, gliding from man to man like an angelic spirit, offering a hand to one as to a long-lost kinsman, then moving the blade from the soldier's grasp to his own and returning it, with one near-invisible motion, into the pit beneath the man's arm. With an air that was almost gentle he held down a hand to leave a neck exposed, dispensing death more efficiently than Karvolt had ever seen, switching hands freely, never pausing, but never pushing. For all that Michael might call himself the Wind of Death, this truly was seeing the wind itself.
\\\\\\\\Time slowed for Karvolt as the realization came upon him, like a comforting mantle, of the imminence of his own death. Detatchedly he was aware of the skin around his eyes and across his brow. He knew his face was fixed in the skull-like expression of utter terror he had seen so often in the faces of his own victims, though he felt little of the actual fear it must be displaying.
\\\\\\\\As the hooded man finished with the last of his remaining comrades and started on the final approach toward him, Karvolt wondered with the last of his abilities of supposition how all the mothers he had put to the sword over the years had managed to fight until the end, as they invariably had. All his years of training and experience in murderous slaughter and the reactions that came with them had deserted him utterly in the face of death.
\\\\\\\\Summoning the last of his will, Karvolt swung the triatine that had been his father's before him, knowing that it was in vain, and fell back. The man stood over him now. Karvolt was sure he was being looked at from within the dark hood with sympathy. His weapon was gripped by a thin, iron-strong hand that closed over his own trembling one. The voice that spoke in his ear was courteous, almost courtly.
\\\\\\\\"Allow me."
\\\\\\\\As even deeper darkness surrounding him, Karvolt was vaguely aware of the subtle twist that repositioned the triatine, then thrust the thin triple-bladed sword through his chest.
\\\\\\\\In his last moment he noted the surprising lack of pain, and the absence of...
>>
>>9491654
...effort that the shadow before him expended on withdrawing the weapon; the weight of his own body falling away drew him off it quite cleanly. His vision closed in on him, starting at the outer edges of his eyes. He only heard fragments of the words the giant exchanged with his executioner.
\\\\\\\\"You certainly took your time gettin' to 'im, sir."
\\\\\\\\"He had an interesting blade. Add it to your collection."
>>
>>9491757
>midsummer noon
>shadows
Arright, that fight sucks
Which shut in writer wrote that?
>>
>>9491845
I just double-checked, it actually says "moon". For some reason I thought it said noon. Sorry.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.