[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 41sh2SmAGHL.jpg (21KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
41sh2SmAGHL.jpg
21KB, 325x500px
Just read this, couldn't put it down.

It's one of the few books that has left me feeling numb afterwards, I thought it was brilliant and intend to explore more of Mishima's work as this is the first of his books that I have read.

Shout out to Honda. Truly the greatest friend anybody could ask for, I truly felt sorry for him at many points in the book and the final three chapters in particular were great.

What did you guys think?
>>
>>9486430
Lad, just finished this two days ago too. Reading the next one in the tetralogy now, Runaway Horses.

Maybe you can help find a quote. It was my favorite in the book but I can't remember what it was exactly. Should have marked it. It was somewhere towards the end, describing how those afflicted with leprosy or illness exhibit the same kind of symptoms as those in love.

My favorite part of the book, besides Kiyoaki's pilgrimage up the hill at the end, was the reveal about Tadeshina and Count Ayakura's agreement regarding Satoko. Had no idea that was coming, really caught me off guard. Great book, really excited to read the next three.
>>
>>9486539
The last thing he says to Honda was haunting too how he grabbed his hand tightly.

>Just now I had a dream. I'll see you again. I know it. Beneath the falls"

I think I know the part you mean, where he is trying to talk to the "monster" who people say has leprosy? I like how he lays on the grass in a certain way and then that kid puts down his book and does the same so they are mirroring each other except one is ugly and the other is handsome.
>>
I really want to start the Sea of Fertility, but the only Mishima I've read is The Sailor... and The Sound of Waves. Should I read more by him before the tetralogy, or is it enough?
>>
>>9487962
Spring Snow was the first I've read of his work. I think you'll be fine, it's really comfy.
>>9487955
Nah, I looked at that part and couldn't find the quote. It's around that section of the book though I think.
>>
>>9487955
>Beneath the falls
You can't even fully understand the impact of that quote before reading Honba and Akatsuki no Tera.
>>
>>9487975
Yeah I figured there was more to it. Still great final words to his friend on their own.
>>
>>9487986
Keep reading the tetralogy. Remember the dreams. Remember Kiyoaki making his way up to the temple. Remember the abbess and the dead dog. Remember the clear shinto water. Remember the sun of Benares.
>>
>>9487995
I certainly will, I bought all 4 the other day. I'll start the second tonight after work, I hope they're as good as Spring Snow or at least close
>>
>>9488147
So far the second one is a lot different than the first one, so I'd let go of any expectations you might have.
>>
I feel like an idiot but I'm glad Runaway Horses continues with Honda.

I thought the tetralogy meant the books were only the same in theme, not an actual continuation of the story. The blurb on the back makes no mention of him which led me to that assumption.
>>
>>9486430
Its as you said, and Runaway Horses is 3x better
>>
Has anyone read temple of the golden pavilion? If so, how is it? I picked it up at a thriftshop yesterday super cheap.
>>
>>9486430
I felt the exact same way reading my first Mishima, The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea. Left me wanting more of his gently paced dramas.
>>
It's a travesty that he didn't get the Nobel Prize.
>>
Spring Snow + Runaway horses are complete master pieces.
>>
>>9488452
Why don't you read it, little brainlet.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.