[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

What went wrong?
>>
>>9484739
nothing it's a masterpiece
>>
>>9484739
I actually bought this but haven't started to read it. What do you think is wrong with it?
>>
>>9484880
I found the first half a bit of a slog. In that part of the book the pov sticks to the protagonists, an old married couple. The way they talk to each other is so tedious. Eventually the pov moves around a bit and things become more interesting.

There's something really lacking in Ishiguro's descriptions. Often we're given nothing more to go on than "a river", "a wood", "a plain". The novel's sense of place is about as strong as that of a text-based adventure game. Similarly an ogre or a pixie will appear, and "ogre" and "pixie" are considered to be sufficient information to give the reader.

I gather that upon release some people got their panties in a twist about an author of literary fiction stooping to write fantasy. I don't care that he wrote a fantasy novel, but I feel he wrote a second-rate one.
>>
>>9484943
it's not a fantasy novel and it doesn't value the same things

have you read any of ishiguros other books? that might give foursome insight into what he's writing about thematically

the book is excellent and I would recommend it to anyone
>>
>>9484947
I'm reading Never Let Me Go and Ill admit his writing style is a bit slow and colorless but the book is an enjoyable read.
>>
>>9484750
this
>>
>>9484947
>it's not a fantasy novel

... yes it is?
>>
>>9484947
>>9485722
Decent article on the topic:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/05/kazuo-ishiguro-the-buried-giant-fantasy-novel
>>
>>9485722
sure if you're a brainlet
>>
>>9484739
Last chapter lacked clarity, otherwise modern masterpiece
>>
>>9485875
it was super clear idk what you mean

if anythign it was too blunt/heavyhanded
>>
>>9484739
7/10 novel. Nothing was wrong
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.