[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memory, Testimony and Trauma.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 2015091526memory.jpg (29KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
2015091526memory.jpg
29KB, 300x350px
I've become interested in the nuances and limits of human memory and testimony, especially in the context of trauma. For example, how different accounts of wars, terrorist attacks, or whatever can be different.

Does anybody have any interesting examples of this? Is there any good literature on this topic? Thanks!
>>
everyone who was around nyc on sept. 11th and saw the attacks rememebers they said building 7 was going to be a controlled demo because it was unsafe...now all i see is that it collapsed on it's own despite not being hit by a plane, and the towers have collapsed hours before...if someone asked me i would swear that's what happened, but that's apparently not what happened, it's not even a conspiracy kook thing, i could have sword they said they were demoing it because it was unsafe or something and dropped it...now everyone says it fell on it's own...it's like uh ok i guess
>>
>>9482790

Pic related might be a useful starting point for you in a certain sense. It does not dwell much into the specifics of trauma I guess but it does mention how one's account of memory relates to memory as a thing in itself, and has an autobiography/textbook dynamic which makes it a mostly entertaining read anyways.

The author also recounts his life from Nazi-time Vienna, so in a way the testimony by himself on how it was to be there during that time is something you can also compare by yourself with, lets say, historical news and such, and draw your own conclusions on how his perception affected his memory of the country.
>>
>>9482790
Tralfamadorians.

Sorry, that's all I got OP. Fascinating topic though, interested in better posts than mine. I am absolutely certain the US Government has conducted research on TBI and PTSD, maybe some of their medical papers could help you.
>>
Hijacking this a bit but what's should I read about the self, consciousness and private world/experience?I've just been mulling around with these concepts for a while but I don't have much to go on. Phenomenology (I think ) lite if there is anything like that.
>>
also interested in examples of this outside like the holocaust and stuff that everybody knows about
>>
File: IMG_5830.jpg (22KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5830.jpg
22KB, 333x499px
Aquino's "mind war"
"Moonwalking with Einstein" is a fun one.
Anything by Oliver Sacks...
>>
>>9482790
Committing the Future to Memory: History, Experience, Trauma
By Sarah Clift
>>
>>9483886
well, i can tell you when you do combat sports like boxing or mma it's really hard to tell how you're doing in during the fight, you have to rely on your corner man to let you know what's going on because you might think you're winning , or that you're losing, and in fact it's the opposite. also even if you sparred for weeks to get ready, when you're in the ring and the bell goes off and the fight is on for real, your sense of time and space is off, like everything feels stretched out and slow, i think the best fighters like mayweather capitalize on this feeling, but for journeyman fights it's like just like "woah everything is like all weird n shit", then after you watch the video of the fight and you're like "dude, i don't even remember that, holy shit" so i guess if you want to experience these weird experiences without going to a warzone, take a couple fights in boxing or mma, you'll get the idea
>>
>>9482790
strictly speaking, this isn't exactly the sort of material you're after but intuition tells me you might be vaguely interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
>>
>>9482790
The yellow birds deals with this in a surface / 1st person account dude way.

If you're writing it in america just have the guy take opiods, that's contemporary
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Loftus
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.