[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why read anything other than philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

>>
>>9482734

Why read?
>>
>>9482734
Because at some point you realise that philosophy hasn't really progressed in centuries and will leave you in a bloodless vacuum without any of the answers you set out to find while literature at least gives you an approximation and possibilities.
>>
>>9482734
>Because at some point you realise that philosophy hasn't really progressed in centuries

I'm still Starting With the Greeks, but is it even worth it going past the 1600s?
>>
>>9482751

It's mostly because I look at the shit that has been written since the Greeks and it just gets overwhelming how much stuff there is to read and how much I want to read. Like I want to read all of the great works of literature and philosophy from Homer to Tolstoy but that seems like an impossible task so I might as well just read the shit that really matters and to me that seems like philosophy.
>>
>>9482734

Philosophy is boring and hard to read
>>
>>9482734
Because fiction is fun and philosophy is boring and irrelevant.
>>
>>9482734
Because there are more things on heaven and earth, anon, than are dreamt of in your philosophy
>>
>>9482751
Like why read Tolstoy when I can read Christian theologians like Augustine and Aquinas and moral and ethical theorists like Kant and why read Homer and Virgil and Dante when again I can read Plato, Aristotle and Augustine etc
>>
>>9482751
isn't this when you decide to write your own philosophy
>>
>>9482734
Why the binary choice? I switch back and forth between lit and philosophy most evenings. Reading Mann or Musil intandem with German idealism for example adds depth and insight to my readings.
>>
>>9482734
never met someone who took philosophy seriously who wasn't some autistic shut-in who took pride in rejecting people before they could do it to him.
>>
>>9482798
Kek
>>
File: himmler.jpg (82KB, 411x573px) Image search: [Google]
himmler.jpg
82KB, 411x573px
why read anything other than indian philosophy?
>>
>>9482734
Because art can do things philosophy can't. At least that's what al the pseuds on the internet have told me.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.