[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Random_digits.png (15KB, 256x298px) Image search: [Google]
Random_digits.png
15KB, 256x298px
https://www.amazon.com/Million-Random-Digits-Normal-Deviates/dp/0833030477

>A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates is a random number book by the RAND Corporation, originally published in 1955. The book, consisting primarily of a random number table, was an important 20th century work in the field of statistics and random numbers. It was produced starting in 1947 by an electronic simulation of a roulette wheel attached to a computer, the results of which were then carefully filtered and tested before being used to generate the table. The RAND table was an important breakthrough in delivering random numbers, because such a large and carefully prepared table had never before been available. In addition to being available in book form, one could also order the digits on a series of punched cards.

pic related, Lines 10580–10594, columns 21–40
>>
>>9481094
looking for more books like this, recomendations?
>>
>>9481097
Tree of Codes by Safran Foer.
>>
>>9481102
hmmm, too intentional, but I see how it's similar. Presumably the author looked over each page combination? It'd be better in a three ring binder with the pages randomized or something.

Essentially, I want a book that is cold and inhuman, without any distinction from one line to the next. Or a book that doesn't change when you read it in a new order.

Burroughs cut ups come to mind. But I want something more extreme.
>>
>>9481094
>Retards, Autists and Neuro-Divergents publishes a book of "random" numbers
>Defeats the purpose by putting them in a specific order
LOL thanks for sharing, Anon ;)
>>
>>9481094
This is what autism looks like
>>
>>9481094
Also, I found this pdf version, which mentions that this is a new version with a "new foreward" but there is no foreward. It just finishes the copyright notice and hits the random numbers.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1418/MR1418.deviates.pdf
>>
>>9481146
fuck me, Foreword.
>>
>>9481122
>>Defeats the purpose by putting them in a specific order
I think you're confused on the purpose of the indexing. The rows and columns are numbered only for reference, they don't reflect any coherent "order".

You've probably seent his effect in strategy video games where you can select a "seed" to determine random outcomes. If you run your program using lines 401-402, you'll get the same results when you run the program using those lines again. It's meant as a check, to see if you've accidentally altered your program in an unintentional way, or if you want to see how the new program will be different given the same starting outcome.

But by no means where the random numbers "put in order". Nor is it "self-defeating".
>>
>>9481122
It's just a statistical table before digital filesharing and home computing were available you nonce. Actually getting access to a large set of non-deterministic values prior to the onset of microprocessing was a big fucking deal, which limited the capability of performing mathematic tests centered on number randomization.

Also, the order of a non-deterministic set doesn't matter outside of trying to predict a number already in said set.
>>
>>9481097

Just buy 1,000,000 d10 dice, roll them and write down the numbers
>>
>>9481331
one million quality d10's is actually very expensive. Game Science makes some decent dice, but that's about the only commercial company that makes good dice. All of the rest are incredibly unreliable, because they put them in "tumblers" to take off rough edges.

My copy of 1 million random digits is coming in the mail. But after I finish reading it, I want something more.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.