[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is so hype that it hurts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: iliad.gif (138KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
iliad.gif
138KB, 329x475px
>>
>>9478758
>fagles

F
>>
>>9478760
Is fagles the best translator for the english version
t. portuguese speaker
>>
the iliad is the bomb diggy u feel me duke we come with that 90s tonite mother fucka

no but for real tho
>>
>>9478764
No. It's either Fitzgerald or Lattimore depending on whether your prize poetic liberties or accuracy
>>
File: don.jpg (29KB, 320x487px) Image search: [Google]
don.jpg
29KB, 320x487px
>>
I felt like I was reading an anime desu
>>
File: don.jpg (112KB, 579x480px) Image search: [Google]
don.jpg
112KB, 579x480px
>>9478768
Make no mistake: for all its earthiness, its cynical jests, its bawdy and scatological realism, Cervantes’ masterpiece is anchored in Christianity—more specifically, in Spanish Catholicism, with its strong mystical drive.In this very connection, Unamuno remarked that John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, and Ignatius of Loyola did not reject rationality, nor did they distrust scientific knowledge; what led them to their mysticism was simply the perception of “an intolerable disparity between the hugeness of their desire and the smallness of reality.”

In his quest for immortal fame, Don Quixote suffered repeated defeats. Because he obstinately refused to adjust “the hugeness of his desire” to “the smallness of reality,” he was doomed to perpetual failure. Only a culture based upon “a religion of losers” could produce such a hero.

What we should remember, however, is this (if I may thus paraphrase Bernard Shaw): The successful man adapts himself to the world. The loser persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the loser.
>>
>>9478764
>>9478767
It's actually Alexander Pope
>>
>>9478789
>Because he obstinately refused to adjust “the hugeness of his desire” to “the smallness of reality,”
>tfw I'm Don Quixote
>>
File: 1493580690746.png (42KB, 399x322px) Image search: [Google]
1493580690746.png
42KB, 399x322px
>When a Trojan hero is about to get BTFO.
>"Hold up"
>Activates cheats: *R1 R2 L1 L2 Left, Down, Right, Up, Left, Down, Right, Up*
>Absolutely BTFOs everyone.

>>9478782

This. I liked The Iliad a lot but it felt like an RPG game or some archaic Japanese anime.
>>
>>9479123

>RPG game
>role-playing game game
>posting frogs
>>
>>9478791
that's not Homer
>>
Once again I find myself surrounded by plebes
>>
>>9479634
Woe is me.
>>
Shallow as fuqqq B.
>muh war
>muh heroism

yeah, wake me up when you have some more interesting themes
>>
>>9479639
Vae victis.
>>
>>9478767
>>9478791
Fagles can suck a dick. Lattimore or Fitzgerald for modern+Pope or Chapman (Or all of them)
>>
>>9479646
Wake me up when you've been second only to Christianity as the foundation for Western society

>shit talking the Iliad

I want nu-lit to leave
>>
>>9479646
kys
>>
>>9478768
does this ed have the full uncensored text
>>
File: beowulf.jpg (44KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
beowulf.jpg
44KB, 300x450px
>>
>>9479646
What about homecoming, place, "life as war", familial relations, and binding love?
>>
>>9479646
>I'm totally not a surface level reader
>it's the Iliad that's bad
>>
>>9479646
But some of the main themes of the Iliad, it seems to me, are that war sucks, sometimes neither side is "the good guys" or "the bad guys", heroism is childish, and reality is unfair and immoral. Doesn't seem particularly shallow to me... if anything, it's way ahead of a lot of war literature that's written even nowadays.
>>
>>9482987
It's the one Bloom-Senpai told me to read
>>
>>9482989

>see that monster over there? I'm gonna fucking wrastle it with my bare hands
>then I'm going to hold my breath for like a week straight and swim across the ocean
>fucking geats REEEEE
>>
Fuck off and stop spreading ebonics. If you're going to read actual literature talk like an actual person.
>>
>>9483223
>implying u can't spell crap without rap
>>
>>9483223
I am no anglo speaking fool
>>
>>9483247
back to /pol/
>>
>>9483255
lol wut wez u saying
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.