[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently I am thinking much about life. In the sense of life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: s_n13_RTR2KCXE.jpg (746KB, 991x648px) Image search: [Google]
s_n13_RTR2KCXE.jpg
746KB, 991x648px
Recently I am thinking much about life. In the sense of life as a phenomenon of the universe.
Is it worth valuing life? I always thought that life is very precious and so I always tried to act in the way that would preserve life (like not killing a bug that is bothering you)

My appreciation for life has come to the point where I think about what I eat. Eating meat means basically causing suffering and death for the sake of my personal enjoyment.

And now since I think much more about it I am more sensitive to those things and I see so much death all the time and it makes me questioning my attitude.

People kill all the time, even for the dumbest reasons like someone stepping on a spider because it is 'disgusting'. Or people breeding and raising cattle just to slaughter it.

Anyway, I need to read up on this topic to see what other people think about this. Do you guys know some books about it?

I want to know if there is any value to life at all. I feel like this will heavily influence my decision making in the future so I need to form a solid opinion.
>>
>>9477673
yeah read meditations or something you sound like youre 18 and depressed grow up you virgin read meditations
>>
Peter Singer, Animal Liberation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer#Animal_welfare
>>
File: 7-1-696x861.jpg (111KB, 696x861px) Image search: [Google]
7-1-696x861.jpg
111KB, 696x861px
>>9477673

eat more meat, get gains

you'll become strong, alpha, and weak people will fear you

the weak should fear the strong
>>
>>9477687
What do you mean by 'meditations'?

>>9477691
Will look into Schopenhauer, thank you.

>>9477699
Heh, funny that you mention that. I really started working out a few weeks ago with a friend and we are drinking protein shakes after the workout. Which makes me feel kind of bad, because I think it is made out of cows or sth.

Also I think your comment is not as dumb as it looks.
Maybe nature is just supposed to work like that. The strong controlling the lives of the weak. We are clearly the strongest animals on the planet. There is no questioning that.
But isn't it our duty to take responsibility since we can think about this to begin with? A lion also kills but it does it because it evolved like this and can't reflect on its actions. We on the other hand are able to.
>>
Cool vegan blog, faggot
>>
>>9477800
>What do you mean by 'meditations'?
You absolute newfag, please lurk for at least a year before posting. Do not reply to me.
>>
>>9477800

>what do you mean by meditations

>/lit/

is dis nigga serious
>>
>is it worth valuing life
do you know what life is? I'm finding psychology/cognitive psychology and neuro is helping me out and is kind of relaxing. find your own shit though
>>
>>9477823
I try to avoid sounding like some hippie vegan. Seems like I failed.

>>9477867
>>9477954
Well I lurk other boards most of the time. But since I can't ask this kind of questions on art boards, I have to come here. I googled a bit and it looks like you guys are talking about the books by Marcus Aurelius. They sound very interesting, I will definitely read them.

>>9478247
Okay thanks. I will look some neuro stuff up.
>>
That statement "the strong should fear the weak" is about natural order, and it's true.
I saw an article about how Yellowstone national park reintroduced wolves to their ecosystem recently, reestablishing the top of the food chain, and the benefits were staggering. The deer population decreased and indigenous plant life that had been getting culled previously, flourished. Animal species that had been extinct in the region returned. Ultimately river banks even became more stable.
It's been proven that humans evolved to be omnivores. Perhaps the biggest reason our cranium and brain sizes ballooned so quickly is because as a species we started eating meat when available and the calorie and protein dense food proved to be a gigantic benefit and so was carried on. It is completely natural for humans to eat meat, but the ethics become skewed when our sourcing of those products is mostly unnatural, factory farming for example is very questionable. I personally don't lose sleep over eating farm raised cows, their species as a whole has been reared and created by the human race specifically for food and milk, and they would not exist in nature the way they do on farms. Plenty of farmers are totally ethical with how they raise their animals and slaughter and butcher them. If anything they are more ethical in their meat consumption because they have actually taken responsibility for those animals lives and deaths themselves. When I pay money for meat, that is symbolically what my agreement is suppose to mean. My experience hunting and respectfully killing and eating an animal is what informs my morality in this regard, and the environment is healthier without wild deer that have no other predators. I would recommend the experience, the spiritual undertaking of seeing the animal you are taking life from is harrowing, and it is impossible not to respect it when you do so. The biggest moral dilemmas you will face in reconciling this is trying to understand how humans fit into nature and how nature fits into humans, there are truly a lot of places we clash that I cannot grasp the morality of.
I eat most animal products.
I see nothing wrong with it.
If you want to have a very well rounded diet without eating plant or animal products, you have a lot of reading to do on nutrition. It is not just important to get protein, but to get several different kinds. Keep eating vegetables and fruit. When you have a good diet, you will feel great.
I feel no remorse for the bugs. Live somewhere with mosquitos and you'll never question the ethics of swatting a bug again, they have evolved to cope with the fact that they are a harmful nuisance to everything else. I don't kill dragonflies and sometimes I let spiders go. Don't get too sentimental over it.
Your protein powder is probably made from milk solids, please do not rely on that for more than half of your amino acid intake.
>>
>>9477673
Buddhists think the cycle of life and death is suffering, but taking the lives of living creatures also causes suffering and should be avoided where possible.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.